Family News From China

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by GatorGrowl, Mar 16, 2014.

1. bayou_gator

bayou_gator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +376
    Those smile muscles are getting so strong there may even be a dimple developing!!
    • Like Like x 3
  2. gatornana

gatornana Administrator

Ratings Received:
    +1,085
    Can't wait to see the video of her first recital.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. chemgator

chemgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,321
    The supply of healthy Chinese babies dropped off in the last ten years (China was supplying more babies to the U.S. than any other country). By 2011, you could choose to get a baby with a medical problem (and get the child within a few months) or wait as long as six years or more with no guarantee of getting a healthy baby. We got tired of waiting after four years, and took a cleft palate baby.
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. RayGator

RayGator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,835
    God bless you and all your family. You have been a blessing to a precious little one.
    Numbers 6:24-26

I have good friends who over the years have adopted 4 little children from the Ukraine. The first one was Alex. He had what I think is called a cleft pallet. But he was able to get good medical help, including Shands. It never bothered him! Outgoing personality. Played sports in HS. And very popular, to say the least. He calls me grandpa. I love it! He's 22 now, and he plans on getting married soon. Can't help but wonder if my good friends didn't get Alex out of Ukraine if he would even be alive today. Even before the current problems there that we hear about in the news today, so many there were alcoholics and drug addicted.
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2014
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. GatorGrowl

GatorGrowl Forum Admin Staff Member GC Staff VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,260
    Before China
    • Winner Winner x 4
  6. JBufgogators

JBufgogators Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +49

Good to hear. Doctors here can do amazing things to fix cleft palates for lil ones born with them.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. chemgator

Ratings Received:
    +1,321
    O
    Our girl got her first surgery in China, by a Chinese surgeon. (Western doctors volunteer all over the world in an operation called "Smile Train" to fix cleft palates. You can sponsor a surgery for $250.) When we took her home and had her seen by U.S. doctors, they were amazed by the quality of the Chinese surgery--one said it was the best job he'd ever seen. Our girl had her surgery at age 9 months, and will have another operation when her permanent teeth come in. She had one tooth that came in behind her front teeth, so they will somehow relocate it to where it belongs. You have to see her up close to know that something isn't quite right. She is happy as can be, though, and that's what counts.
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  8. GatorGrowl

Ratings Received:
    +5,260
    A Week of Firsts!
    by cscottshepherd on April 13, 2014
    [​IMG]
    HOW did we ever live without this sweet face?!?!

A month ago we were on a plane headed for Jinan, China, where we were blessed with this sweet girl! We have been home only two weeks, and each day gets better than the one before. The adjustment is going well and we truly believe Grace is happy. She has even learned to tattle on her brothers and sister. No English necessary – she can make a motion and tell us that one sibling stuck out his/her tongue to another sibling! :) (Names are being withheld for the interest of all involved. haha!)

Grace’s life is full of new experiences and she is handling it all like the brave and sweet little girl that she is! We haven’t taken her out in the “public” yet but we think she will be ready soon! Our social worker comes for a visit Tuesday and we can’t wait to report how well Grace is doing.

[​IMG]
    Fun in the tree house!

We have all enjoyed the beautiful Spring weather this week. Grace especially LOVES our tree house!

[​IMG]
    Look at that sweet little face peeking over the edge!

[​IMG]
    Grace and Iris pick blossoms from the tree

[​IMG]
    Big Smiles!

[​IMG]
    Running to show Mama the flowers

We’re not sure that Grace has ever had the chance to play in wide open spaces. She SHRIEKS if her shoe comes off and her foot touches the grass. :)

[​IMG]
    Playing ball with Daddy!

[​IMG]
    Big brother Jordan played, too!

[​IMG]
    Grace LOVES the trampoline!

You will notice Gideon is still in his pajamas! :)

[​IMG]
    So happy with her BFF and sissy, Iris

[​IMG]
    Sweet “babies”!

Iris and Grace (Yiyi) surprised me by getting dressed in their beautiful Chinese dresses. What’s a Mama to do? Get out her camera, of course!

[​IMG]
    Sister LOVE

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    This is going on their bedroom wall!

Grace has been asking for a violin since she got home. She may not speak much English, but she is smart and can communicate with us through motions. On Wednesdays we drive 2.5 hours to Nashville for a day of music lessons. Grace can’t leave Mama during this initial bonding period, so she came with us. It was her first public outing since we had been home and I (Traci) was a little nervous. However, Grace was a TROOPER! She never complained and we had a great day in Nashville.

And GUESS what we picked up on the way home for her? An itty bitty VIOLIN!!! Grace even asked to go back to Nashville the next day. (She motioned for everyone to get their instruments and drive in the car!)

[​IMG]
    Her first violin!

In our house, a first violin calls for a Strasburg dress and a portait session! hahah! :) Thankfully, Grace was happy to oblige! It really looks like she knows what’s she’s doing. Maybe she’s playing an advanced etude? NOPE! Just a bunch of SQUEAKING! We hope to turn that scratching into real music soon. She asks to practice SEVERAL times a day. :)

[​IMG]
    Just like Iris!

[​IMG]
    Iris wore this same dress in a portrait with her first violin.

Please ignore the bad lighting in the above photo! Gideon was holding the reflector and…well…he’s seven years old. Not quite ready to be a photographer’s assistant yet!

Grace also had her first biking experience this week. Grace has a bike that hooks up to daddy’s, so she can pedal and ride along without crashing!

[​IMG]
    Getting ready to go biking

[​IMG]
    So HAPPY with Daddy! :)

We are so enjoying bonding together as a family of SIX! I have to give a BIG shout-out to the kind people of our church! The families of First Baptist (Paris, TN) have faithfully brought meals to us since we’ve been home. This has allowed us to focus on Grace and spend time together. How wonderful to not have to worry about making/buying a meal each night. We couldn’t have done it without you! Thank you for your gifts, food, prayers, and support! You are truly a blessing to us.
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  9. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,998
    Growl, these are great, heartwarming pictures. Are you by chance sending these pictures to the orphanage and people in China. So they too can see the happiness in your new granddaughter face?
  10. GatorGrowl

Ratings Received:
    +5,260
    Scott remarked in an early blog that they did receive the email addresses of her foster family and would communicate with them. I do no know if the same holds true with the orphanage.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. icequeen

icequeen Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,137
    Wonderful progress!!! What happiness in all their faces :) Thank you for sharing, and please continue to do so.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. GatorGrowl

Ratings Received:
    +5,260
    [​IMG]
    Traci Herman Shepherd
    Hahah! I'd forgotten that this is what a four year old looks like after eating a chocolate bunny! She was so happy! Thanks Teresa Reed and Miss "A" for the Easter treat! —
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. GatorGrowl

Ratings Received:
    +5,260
    [​IMG]
    Grace kept saying,"kitty COLD" and wasn't happy until she made the cat a "coat" of aluminum foil! Somehow the cat tolerated this nonsense! Lol. It is so much fun to have a little one in the house again!
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. RayGator

RayGator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,835
    It's always good to read some good news on TH. :)
    • Like Like x 1
  15. tilly

tilly Superhero Moderator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,373
    My wife and I, and our three kids hope to make this journey someday soon. I have been moved to tears reading this thread. God bless them for rescuing one of the "least of these"
    • Like Like x 2
  16. GatorGrowl

Ratings Received:
    +5,260
    If you have any questions let me know and I will put you in touch with Scott.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. ParisGator

ParisGator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +7
    Hello, everyone! I'm sorry for being so late chiming in on this thread. Life has been quite busy since our return from China. ;-)

Thank you all very much for of your kind, encouraging, and supportive comments for our family during our adoption journey. As you can tell from the blog posts, it has been an amazing journey! We are so thankful for the folks at Gatorcountry for praying for us and showing interest in our story.

Thank you!
    The Shepherd Family
    • Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,998
    My GF and I found this whole thread/journey to be infinitely entertaining. Thank you for sharing... GOD bless you and your beautiful family.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  19. chemgator

Ratings Received:
    +1,321
    It is a wonderful story. In some ways like our own story, but with more pictures. :)

Best wishes for you and your family.
    • Like Like x 2
  20. GatorGrowl

Ratings Received:
    +5,260
    Occupying Gideon and Grace while mom shops for clothes...i think Jordan and Iris are around here somewhere, too. 4 kids=shopping adventure (Gideon is wearing is Super Tebow shirt)
    [​IMG]
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1