Family News From China

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by GatorGrowl, Mar 16, 2014.

1. GatorGrowl

GatorGrowl Forum Admin Staff Member GC Staff VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,260

These two posts were updates, one from Scott's mother-in-law, the second from Scott.
    • Like Like x 3
  2. orangeblueorangeblue

orangeblueorangeblue Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,878
    Awesome news. It will only get easier and better.
    • Like Like x 2
  3. GatorGrowl

Ratings Received:
    +5,260
    Thanks OBOB...
  4. chemgator

chemgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,338
    That's awesome. Brings back memories of our stay in the Garden Hotel in Guangzhou, picking up our baby. (We were just reviewing video of the adoption a few hours ago.)

Some useful phrases (assuming the baby speaks Mandarin):

ba ba I nee = daddy loves you
    mama I nee = mommy loves you
    how bao bao = good baby (bao bao also means "hold the baby")
    ching gae wuo shway = I want water, please
    nee how ma? = how are you
    wuo han how = I am fine
    zi jee way = feed yourself
    dway = yes
    mayo = I don't have
    bu yao = I don't want
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2014
    • Informative Informative x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  5. g8orbill

g8orbill Gators VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +11,608
    May the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ calm little Gracie's fears
    • Agree Agree x 3
  6. HallGator

HallGator Administrator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,719
    Loved the orange and blue Magna Doodle
    • Like Like x 1
  7. GatorGrowl

Ratings Received:
    +5,260
    ty
  8. GatorGrowl

Ratings Received:
    +5,260
    A long blog, for those interested

What a Difference a Day Makes
    BY CSCOTTSHEPHERDON MARCH 17, 2014

I have NEVER EVER been so nervous in all my life as I was yesterday as we were waiting for Grace to be brought to us! I thought my heart was going to beat out of my chest and it’s a wonder I didn’t faint! :) At about 3:45 our guide and interpreter, John, called to say they were in the hotel lobby and were coming up to our room.

Grace was brought by two orphanage workers and although she was scared, she was VERY VERY brave! We spent some time showing her all the toys we had brought for her as she hit in her caregiver’s arms. Her foster mother had sent a bag full of snacks and a bag full of clothing. We were SO EXCITED to receive TWO photo albums filled with pictures from her life with her foster family and at her school! We even received a beautiful letter from her foster mother in which she gave us some information about Grace’s schedule and likes/dislikes. Her foster mother also thanked us for adopting her and included her email address!!! We were brought to tears because we were told that we would be unable to contact her foster mother and so this is a FABULOUS blessing from God that we will be able to have communication with this woman who has been a part of Grace’s life for years! Scott has already emailed her several times and she has replied back with very kind and encouraging words. We know that she was truly loved and taken care of well and for this we are so thankful!

We were told her Chinese name means “music” or “art” and she wants to learn to play the piano! I am thinking that she joined the right family….. :) Her nickname is “YiYi” and we have been calling her that but will transition to Grace Yiyi soon.

We then had to go take pictures at a portrait studio for the official paperwork that. The caregivers slipped away while were were busy with that and Grace was fine until we got back to the hotel room and she realized that they were gone.

Grace then frantically searched through her photo album and kept pointing at pictures of her foster sister. She was talking emphatically through her tears and We thought about how much she must be missing her sister and I (Traci) told Scott that we would have to hunt her sister down and adopt her, too! After 30 minutes of this, Scott went down to the front desk and asked for help in translating what Grace was saying. This precious and kind woman came up to our room and spent about 20 minutes talking with Grace. The hotel worker laughed with surprise as we discovered that Grace wasn’t missing her sister. Instead, she was offering her as a trade! SHE WAS INSISTING THAT WE TAKE HER SISTER TO AMERICA and NOT Her!

She is quite a smart little girl and everyone who talks to her and interacts with her remarks about it.

After a rough start (see the picture below) we had a better day and Grace has even said “up, uh-oh, bye-bye” today.

[​IMG]
    Poor, sweet baby!

Our first night was very rough, as to be expected. Even though she had been prepared to meet her new Mama and Baba she naturally was sad. We did our best to comfort her but she still ended up falling asleep crying at the door. :( This Mama’s heart was aching.

[​IMG]
    Dad and Grace bonding

She slept through most of the night with only two waking (and crying) episodes. Daddy was able to get her attention with silly games on the iPad in the morning

[​IMG]
    One of Grace’s first smiles to her new family.

Funny talking cat on the ipad game gave us a small smile!

[​IMG]
    Grace and Mom at breakfast

The poor sweet baby broke down again at breakfast but the precious ladies at the hotel were able to interpret and help us figure out what she likes to eat. She ate LOTS of fruit – watermelon, and two other melon-type fruits that I’d never seen before. She also had orange juice, yogurt drink, and potato fries. haha. Whatever we could do to keep her happy!

[​IMG]
    Dad and Grace putting a puzzle together.

Miss Stacy Daniels gave us this puzzle and Grace enjoyed putting it together several times!

[​IMG]
    Dad and Grace playing a with a blow up beach ball

Lots of BIG smiles with the beach ball! Progress is being made! After a few hours of play, our guide arrived and we travelled to the first of three official appointments today.

[​IMG]
    Traci signing one of many adoption documents

[​IMG]
    Grace getting her hand “inked” for her handprint

[​IMG]
    Grace’s (YiYi’s) handprint
    I have to admit that I (Traci) cried a little as we were working to make things official!

[​IMG]
    Mom and Grace at Civil Affairs Office

[​IMG]
    Grace with Mom and Dad at notary’s office

[​IMG]
    Grace had so much fun coloring Hello Kitty “Color Wonder” books today

Color Wonder coloring pages kept her occupied and happy during our three appointments today!

[​IMG]
    Grace enjoyed her cake!

The kind staff at the hotel treated her to cake while she was waiting for her lunch to arrive. GUESS how much of her lunch she ate? haha ! Not much! But she did ask for watermelon juice and we got her some! :)

[​IMG]
    Grace and Mom enjoying lunch together

Who needs healthy food? Cake is fine for now!

[​IMG]
    Grace loved playing with bubbles at the city square!

After a not so happy nap time (she cried at the door again!) we took her out to enjoy the sights of the city square. Daddy treated her to bubbles and she enjoyed them so much! We were quite the center of attention, with many people taking pictures and staring at us. :) Grace is not shy and seemed to answer their questions very well. If only I could know what she was saying… However, she seemed happy!

[​IMG]
    Grace and Mom playing with bubbles in front of the city fountain

[​IMG]
    Dad talking with a local (I’m not about to punch him…really!)

Hand motions make things better when you can’t speak Mandarin! :)

[​IMG]
    Grace and Dad playing with a water squirter

Daddy was so smart to buy one for Grace! She enjoyed it so much!

[​IMG]
    Grace playing with a streamer at the city square

Daddy also bought her a streamer. We couldn’t believe it when she shared with a little boy who came up to her!

We then went to the underground shopping center that is under the city square. She picked out some watermelon, yogurt, and some kind of juice to take back to the hotel for supper.

I gave her her first bath since we’ve had her and although it was a bit of a struggle to remove her now-dirty clothes, she REALLY enjoyed her bath. She played for about 30 minutes and had fun with the water squirter Daddy bought her earlier. She still does not want to wear any of the clothes we brought for her, which is fine for now but we will run out of clothes soon. One step at a time….

Tomorrow our guide, John, will take us to the famous Jinan Springs and we will spend the morning enjoying some sight-seeing.

We thank each and every one of your for your prayers and support! We are exhausted and missing our other three children but we KNOW that what we are doing here is the right thing! Reading your comments on facebook (when the VPN and internet work!) encourages us greatly! Please keep praying! Although lots of progress has been made, we still have a long way to go!
    • Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 2
  9. gatornana

gatornana Administrator

Ratings Received:
    +1,087
    Gracie is a lucky little girl......it won't take long for her to love her new mommy and daddy.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,044
    That is sweet... How old are her new siblings?
  11. GatorGrowl

Ratings Received:
    +5,260
    They are 12, 9 and 6
    • Like Like x 2
  12. GatorGrowl

Ratings Received:
    +5,260
    Here are the siblings a couple years ago
    [​IMG]
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  13. Gatorrick22

Ratings Received:
    +6,044

She's going to love them... I'm sure they can't wait to see their new sister too.
  14. GatorGrowl

Ratings Received:
    +5,260
    More recently
    [​IMG]
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Gatorrick22

Ratings Received:
    +6,044
    Adorable family, Growl.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Gatormb

Gatormb Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,213
    You have made my day Growl. Best thread of my GC membership!
    • Agree Agree x 2
  17. GatorGrowl

Ratings Received:
    +5,260
    Day Four in China

Day Four in Jinan: FaceTime, Jinan Springs, and the Zoo
    by cscottshepherd on March 18, 2014
    Before breakfast this morning, Grace had her first FaceTime (like Skype) conversation with Jordan, Iris, and Gideon. When she saw them, she immediately ran away from the ipad. My fist thought was, “oh, no! She doesn’t want to see or talk to her brothers and sisters.” Then I saw where she was at. She was searching through the backpack she had brought with her from her foster home. She was NOT running away from talking to the kids; she was searching for the GIFTS she and her foster family had bought for each member of our family. She had been waiting for the first time we were all together to present them to us. She was so proud to give us all our gifts, and she was very happy to see her new bothers and sisters in person. Later she even told us their names (jodan, idis, and Gidjen) when we pointed to their pictures in a photo book Traci had made for her. We are amazed by her heart and intelligence and also by the thoughtfulness of her foster parents to buy gifts and also to teach Grace her new family members’ names.

[​IMG]
    No tears tonight at bedtime!

Last night Grace (Yiyi) fell asleep with no tears! Instead of repeating the previous night’s pitiful episode, we wore her out with lots of walking at the town square and then “tricked” her into falling asleep while playing the Ipad. Haha.

[​IMG]
    Soundly Asleep!

I would also like to point out that she chose her “pajamas”. I have yet to have her want to wear something that we brought for her, but that is ok with me. I think we have O N E more day of clothing left for her before she will run out of her own clothes.

[​IMG]
    Uh oh! cake again!

The hotel staff again treated her to cake for breakfast. I would like to add that she DID have a few bites of fruit and some yogurt before she had all this sugar. :). Grace was happy in the room all morning with us but got sad again at breakfast.

[​IMG]
    First family photo on our walking tour of Jinan Springs

Our tour guide, John, met us at the hotel after breakfast and took us on a tour of the beautiful Jinan Springs area. It is close to our hotel, and the weather was very pleasant for walking.

[​IMG]
    Grace enjoys having her picture taken

Grace decided that being carried by me was MUCH better than walking. I was happy to carry her as long as my arms could hold out! She is happy with Baba while we are in the room but while we are out in public she only wants me.

[​IMG]
    Our guide indulged my ridiculous requests for pictures every 2 minutes. ;)

I figure I may only have one time ever to spend a week in Jinan so we should document everything!
    [​IMG]
    Guard tower

Jinan has been the capital of the Shandong province for over a thousand years! John was so helpful to give us a history lesson as we walked.

[​IMG]
    Mommy and Yiyi

[​IMG]
    Rocks imported from the mountains

[​IMG]
    Stone lion carvings

An older gentleman came up to us and told Yiyi that she had beautiful just hair like her mother. This touched me so much to see that he made a point to be encouraging to a little girl who must be so scared still. Yiyi was very happy and smiled for quite awhile afterwards. :)

[​IMG]
    Gathering water

The locals use this water for tea.

[​IMG]
    Happy family with Daddy finally in the pic

Grace told our waitress at breakfast that she liked to go to the zoo. Guess where daddy made sure we ended up at?!?

Four dollars got us into the Jinan zoo! Sweet little Yiyi was happy and didn’t seem to care that there were a few things that could have used a little work!

[​IMG]
    Yiyi loved the bird section!

[​IMG]
    Pretty flamingo

Grace made a comment that made us all laugh! She said these elephants must hate each other since they were divided by a fence and one was walking away from the other one! Haha

[​IMG]
    Daddy can get her to smile with all his electronics!

That’s Scott money/passport bag under his shirt.

[​IMG]
    And ice cream! Daddy can also make her smile with ice cream!

[​IMG]
    Color wonder is a good thing!

After the zoo,our guide took us to a local restaraunt that had great and super affordable food. He helped us order and then left us to eat together as a family.

[​IMG]
    Huge plate of DELICIOUS broccoli!

Little Grace enjoyed the broccoli! We all used chopsticks to eat. Hopefully Mama and Daddy didn’t look like fools.

[​IMG]
    We have no idea what this was but we will order it again. Maybe potato based?

[​IMG]
    We are so happy that we have a healthy eater!

Thank you so very much for all your prayers! We are exhausted but really enjoying our time bonding with Grace. Tomorrow we take the train to visit her orphanage. It will be a VERY long day for us all. We might even have a chance to meet her foster parents and we are really hoping to convey our gratitude to them. We have three more days in the Shandong province before we will have finished our paperwork/requirements. We will then fly to Guangzhou and spend a week there working on another set of documents and official appointments. The sightseeing has been fun, and it is important for us to experience her culture, but I would fly home in a minute if I could! I am missing my other three kiddos so much but am thankful to know they are in good hands.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. DaveFla

DaveFla VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,065
    Such good stuff...

You may have already said, Growl, but where in China are they? Beijing?

I kinda sort of recognize the hotel (Marriott). I may have stayed in that very same hotel myself.
  19. chemgator

Ratings Received:
    +1,338
    Some more useful words in Chinese. Daddy and mommy are "ba-ba" and "ma-ma", and grandfather is "yeh-yeh" and grandmother is "nai-nai". There are different words for younger ("may-may") and older sister ("jieh-jieh") and younger ("dee-dee") and older brother ("guh-guh").

My wife analyzed the food picture, and thinks the mystery dish may be:
    too-doh-jien-bing = salty fried potato pancake (taste like its made from flour, egg, potato, leafy vegetable)
    • Informative Informative x 1
  20. chemgator

Ratings Received:
    +1,338
    It mentions Jinan (capital of Shangdong) on a previous post. I thought I recognized the hotel, too, but I've never been there. I think Chinese tastes for high-end hotels are somewhat similar.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jinan