Welcome home, fellow Gator

...to the Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Extremely frustrated with our recruiting

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by fuzzygator, Jul 5, 2018.

1. ballastpointgator

ballastpointgator GC Legend

Jun 16, 2018
    Way too early to say we hired the wrong guy.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    As discussed previously, rankings are meaningless at this stage, as had more to do with quantity than quality in many cases. The more verbals, the higher the ranking. We will be fine when our kids commit in next few months. Geography is geography. If a kid wants to be near family, move on

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. gator7_5

gator7_5 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    No one said fire him, no one is handwringing, sucking blood, or losing control of their bowels. Some people are proactive and notice a problem before it reaches critical stage, some are reactive. "He needs to pick this up before we have major holes to fill" vs "who cares, it's not signing day, I'll worry then". Thing is, no one is worrying. It's just real analysis. A class in the 30s or 20s won't cut it. That's where it is now. Simple math.

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. ballastpointgator

ballastpointgator GC Legend

Jun 16, 2018
    Meaningless? There was an article about how the bulk of a lot of these top classes year in and year out are made up of a lot of kids that commit early. I wish I could find it. If we were to run an analysis on when bluechip kids committed and where, you'd see a lot of the top classes filled earlier in the recruiting cycle than the mean. It makes for a hell of a time when you're playing catch up. It's not an end all be all but I don't think it is meaningless. That's a little too blasé for my taste.

edit: And yes, i understand the kids need to see the product on the field. I get it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. LFGator

LFGator Junior

Aug 4, 2015
    I don't think anyone would argue with that statement, in February 2019. Lucky for us we are in July, 2018 with plenty of recruiting to occur (including FNL) and plenty of football to be played to impress recruits. Pointing out in July what everyone here would agree is a problem the following February serves no purpose other than to be negative. To answer someone else's question on this thread, I don't believe that a ranking of 34 is acceptable...in February 2019.

On the flip side, I certainly don't advocate throwing a parade for a ranking of 34 in July (so no sunshine pumping) but I also don't believe there is any reason to immediately break out the pitchforks either. Again, rational people would say just see what happens and determine if the final product is up to standard.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    A posn
    oone has even suggested 34 is ok but in July it is meaningless

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    If you are one of the four teams that are cleaning house it may mean something but after that all those ranking will change

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. DieAGator

DieAGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Top 15 is a reasonable expectation imho. They had only 18 commits in last class and it ranked 18 on rivals. Maintaining the quality they want and getting us to a class of 23 should get us to 18 or better We need a full class but I don't know how the numbers breakdown this cycle. 41 over a two year cycle could leave us short unless we get really popular again soon making 25 an easier number to hit, assuming we have room for that many.

9. GameTime1

GameTime1 GC Hall of Fame

Jul 27, 2015
    Folks certainly are "handwringing" (must be word of the week), and folks are certainly worrying.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. antny

antny GC Hall of Fame

May 28, 2007
    Proactive and notice a problem....before the coach has even had a chance to put his product on the field?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. Notoriousgator

Notoriousgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Yeah i remember that jordan reed fumble vs uga as he was headed into the endzone. Turnovers do suck.

12. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014
    July a dead month. With new early signing in December and July being dead do you realize only 6 months left?
    How about #24 ranking in February?

13. gator7_5

gator7_5 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    5 of the top 12 classes right now on 247 are coached by men that have not had their product on the field at their school yet. Joe Morehead (I had to google what Miss St coaches name was) has a class at 11 and they have some more big time commits on the way. Dan's whiffed a lot this cycle. That has to change, and soon.

Dec is a lot closer than many think..

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. GameTime1

GameTime1 GC Hall of Fame

Jul 27, 2015
    it wont look so good for moorhead after we flip Pickering and Black!

I sure hope you are right about Dec!

• Like Like x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  15. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    6 months is I long time. My guess is 14, what’s yours

16. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    I’ll bet MSU isn’t at 11 in feb, lucky if they are too 20 at all.

• Agree Agree x 3
  17. antny

antny GC Hall of Fame

May 28, 2007
    How many of those schools are coming off a 4-7 season, a decade of offense ranked in or near the bottom 100 and multiple head coaches? This isn't an overnight fix

• Agree Agree x 3
  18. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    No it isn’t but we will finish ahead of MSU

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. Nostradamus

Nostradamus GC Hall of Fame

Sep 18, 2015
    I’ll wait until after FNL before I get concerned, but at this point don’t think our recruiting warrants the title of the forum - “Awesome Recruiting” it is “Pedestrian Recruiting.”

I remain cautiously optimistic that DM will pull a good class together based on what he did with the 2018 class on short notice and some really nice transfer kids that fill big gaps for us.

I hope that if 2019 isn’t where he wants it, he’ll make some staff changes, but as many have said, he hasn’t coached a single down yet, so let’s see.

DM willingly took on a shit-show that will take some time to set straight. I personally believe there is a very high probability that he can build a top 12-15 program with what he has is place now. With better facilities and maybe some staffing changes we can be a perennial top 10 team with the occasional CFP appearances. Maybe he evolves like Saban and Sweeney to become a fixture in the top 5 every year. We’ll see. He’s a young coach who already has 9 years of SEC HC experience. Saban wasn’t all that at Michigan State and touched the ring once at LSU before setting up the Bama machine (plus an NFL stint). Dan has some runway - let’s see how high his ceiling is.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. DieAGator

DieAGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Good post. Since you mentioned him. One thing Saban has done at Bama is rotate good coaches in. I imagine you get it done there or he makes a change. My impression is he is a bit ruthless and it works.

• Agree Agree x 1