Exhibition thoughts

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by InstiGATOR1, Nov 2, 2013.

1. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +703
    Well, foot speed is always a bonus, but there are lots of good point guards at the college level that aren't particularly fast. I was paying more attention to his ballhandling and passing, and he did quite well in those areas. Don't know yet about his shooting, but I suspect he's pretty good shooter.
  2. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,226
    He isn't the best on the blocks, but "next to no sill down low" is an extreme overstatement. Nor is he anywhere near the the kid he was as a freshman. Young developed a nice little turnaround and jump hook as a sophomore and most of his block points have come from that. He is also an absolutely phenomenal finisher.
  3. Brewski

Brewski Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +330
    19 points and 8 bounds in 27 mins. I'll take whatever he is doing, whatever you want to call it.
  4. killercroc_UF

killercroc_UF New Member

Ratings Received:
    +1
    Anymore details on how hill looked?
  5. SeaBud

SeaBud Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +75
    My thoughts on the team after the opener.
    - That, obviously, was not "the team". No conclusions on our end of year potential can be drawn from that game.

- Disagree strongly with those bagging young's offense. Pat's first shot was a soft bank hook that he never could have made as a frosh/soph. He looked better on free throws. I liked what I saw from PY and it was more than we have gotten in the past.
    - We will be 9-11 deep and this is important. With the new rules increasing fouls, teams with deep benches will be way better off. Also, Billy seems to do better with depth so he can press.
    - Our options on Defense are amazing: shut down guard (wilbekin), tough forward (WY) and solid inside with Young and Harris. This is huge facing elite offensive players. I trust Billy to have them defending the 3 very well by the end of the year.
    - I was worried about outside shooting but Walker hit some 3s and Frazier should be good again. If Hill can hit threes that would be huge. Not sure where WY got the idea that he is a 3 point threat? We need him on the boards.
    - We have legitimate slashers and this, again, is important with the new rules. If we can move and pass under control, and hit 3s to keep teams from zoning us, we will score on folks.

If this team becomes cohesive and people understand/accept their roles (i.e., I may not play as much sometimes because certain teams demand a better defender or 3 point threat), this could be a very special year!
  6. swampgas44

swampgas44 Member

Ratings Received:
    +56
    Hands of steel.... (Soft hands better in basketball, and foreplay) :angel:
  7. tampajack1

tampajack1 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +455
    It is hard to judge based on one exhibition game, so I might be completely off the wall, but, to me, Kasey looked pretty much the same as he did in high school. He is lightning quick and will be one of the quickest players in the NBA down the road. He also has great hops and can finish plays with slam dunks. He can handle the ball well and can get into the paint. He needs to work on his defense, including moving his feet and being tough. His outside shot did not look real good, but it's only one game. Kasey is not going to finish at will in the paint against the big boys. So, his biggest transition is going to be learning how to make the right decisions when he has the ball in his hands. I have said it before, and I will say it again, Kasey was not as good a high school point guard last season as Tyler Ennis, Nigel Williams-Goss or Joel Berry, and I don't expect him to be as good a point guard this season as Ennis, Williams-Goss or Scottie Wilbekin. However, Kasey has great upside along with the right coach to develop that upside in Billy Donovan. I expect Kasey to stay at UF for a few years and to develop into an NBA caliber point guard.
  8. GatorsGators

GatorsGators Member

Ratings Received:
    +25
    Again, love Prather, but he's not well-rounded enough to start. He doesn't have the handle or skill to play the three, and he's too small to play the four. He's phenomenal in his role, though: as a spark off the bench.
  9. GatorsGators

GatorsGators Member

Ratings Received:
    +25
    He doesn't have the hands to generate any real touch, but we don't need or want Young taking jump shots (although it'd be nice if he improves at the line). He just needs to constantly post up aggressively. He's pretty much automatic when he gets position.
  10. iam4uf

iam4uf Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +489
    lol, after watching Kasey Hill, more than anything, I was probably noticing the difference between the two.
  11. InstiGATOR1

InstiGATOR1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +75
    Solid balance analysis.
  12. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,226
    You may be right on this and what preceded it, but you also have to bear in mind that Hill's situation is a little extraordinary. The kid is a twenty-year old orphan. He could stay for two years? Maybe. But if he has a chance to get a high first round contract next year, as I suspect he does, he should go. Too much risk if he stays. The league has shown repeatedly that it drafts strictly on potential and that potential is quite obvious with Hill. His hops, penetration, vision, hands are all elite-caliber. If he can play well enough to merit a lottery selection this year, I can't see any reason for him to stay. If not, one more year would hopefully do it, especially in a less-stacked 2015 draft.
  13. InstiGATOR1

InstiGATOR1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +75
    I think the two year plan would serve him the best. Of course I am an outsider and he must decide what is right for him.
  14. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,226
    That is my hope, as well. His game, body, athleticism, etc., bear similarities to Ford, Paul, and Flynn, each of which was a high lottery selection after two seasons. Unfortunately, his personal situation does not.