Exhibition thoughts

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by InstiGATOR1, Nov 2, 2013.

1. InstiGATOR1

InstiGATOR1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +75
    I have a few more thoughts now that I have watched the second half of the exhibition game. They did not change much from my thoughts on the opening half:

1. Boy themistocles was right on a thread earlier today. I had forgotten what a great nose for the ball a just semi-healthy Yeguete has. Had he been healthy the last two NCAA tourney runs, it might have made all the difference. It was just amazing to watch him instinctively track down rebound after rebound.

2. Based only on this game Young, Yeguete, Prather, Hill seemed to be rotation players. The jury is out on Carter, D.Walker and Graham.

3. As the announcers kept saying Young was allowing little guys to push him way out off the block. He is a very good player of course, but maybe like Parsons he may be better suited for the NBA than college basketball.

4. Boy the outside shooting seems to be Frazier, Wilbekin, maybe Carter and hopefully some from Finney-Smith.
  2. ThePlayer

ThePlayer VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,381
    I don't see how Prather doesn't start for this team when we need his offense...I just don't.
    Unless either Harris or DFS post double-doubles every night (unlikely), we can't afford not to start him.
  3. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +695
    I couldn't see all of it (GatorVision kept locking up at certain points), but I saw maybe 60%.

Turnovers were an obvious issue, but they always are this early in the season. Ditto for offensive spacing.

Perimeter shooting is a concern, but it's too early to tell how much until everyone is eligible and healthy, plus you can't judge too much from one exhibition.

Individually, BDIII, Jacob, the walkons can give us minutes if needed without hurting us. They're both careful with the ball and make good passes.

Prather is as explosive as ever and as careless with the ball as ever.

Walker has improved a lot. He really might crack the regular rotation.

Graham has improved, just needs to get that shot to fall. I still think (hope) that it will, as he had a rep as a shooter in high school, with long range. Still hobbled by the ankle, so he can only get better.

Pat is a leader, maybe THE leader.

Carter and Yeguete looked pretty good for playing hurt. Can't wait to see them healthy.

Kasey Hill is maybe the most dangerous full court player in the country already. Wow. Lots to improve upon in other aspects, though.

Preseason photos of muscles were obviously photo-shopped.
  4. g8rboy

g8rboy Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +904
    prather had 23 points, 7 assists, 6 rebounds, and 4 steals. in 22 minutes. that's good against any competition.
  5. GATORAZ

GATORAZ Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
    Graham made me turn off the game at halftime I know it is one game but I cannot see him getting any minutes when the team is full strength
  6. Colin

Colin Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,511
    Don't forget Frazier. We have a lot of guys who *could* start, and it will depend on match-ups as well as performance. One pre-season game is not enough to make those decisions.
  7. iam4uf

iam4uf Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +489
    I didn't finish watching the 2nd half. I guess my biggest disappointment was that I didn't see whether Patric had developed any more inside moves. Hill is explosive, but he's unable to run the offense at this point. Prather forced some things, but finished - if he can do that against better competition he will be a dynamic player.
  8. themistocles

themistocles Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +459
    Graham was supposed to be a very good shooter coming out of high school, of course, one could say the same thing about Dan Werner. Some kids never make the transition, but hopefully Graham can.

Insti - minute for minute Yeguete has been far and away the best rebounder for the Gators since his freshman year. Those of us who standardize see such things clearly, whereas most merely look at totals, which can be exceedingly misleading. Prather and Wilbekin also play excellent defense in addition to making the "Team" work better when they are on the floor. It will be hard to keep those 3 off the floor. I really expect the key 5, 6 or 7 to be: Wilbekin, Young, Yeguete, Prather (4 seniors), plus Hill, Finney-Smith & Harris, with both C. Walker and Carter having a chance to also see a fair amount of time.

That Kurtz and Billy Jr played well and under control is not very surprising, but it really makes this team deep if D Walker plays well and Graham can either learn how to not shoot or can hit his shot.

Even in 2000, the team was really only 9 deep, not 10, 11 or 12 as it looks this team might be.
  9. ThePlayer

ThePlayer VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,381
    Yeah...but how long does mono last? :ninja:
  10. InstiGATOR1

Ratings Received:
    +75
    When Corey Brewer had mono, he played not feeling well against Kansas on 25 November 2006. He missed 3 straight game and next played against FAMU on 17 December 2006. That is about 3 weeks. But UF did not play any games 11 days before FAMU and there was an Andy Katz article on 11 December saying his latest mono test came back clean on 11 December.

Of course I am sure an MD would point out that every one is an individual and every case is different. Still that is what happened the last time UF had a key basketball player come down with mono.
  11. iam4uf

iam4uf Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +489
    Wow, just looked at the CDC site & it said symptoms may last 1-2 months.
  12. GatorLurker

GatorLurker Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +473
    When a while ago Coach D said that this year's team was nowhere near previous teams on D and I scoffed. I figured that it was coach-speak to fire up the guys playing this year.

I was so wrong.

After witnessing the game last night I have to say that Coach was being charitable. The defense I saw last night was "give them any open jump shot they want and maybe we get a rebound". This is not a good plan going forward.

We beat them only because we could dominate the inside game on O. While I was disturbed by our pitiful 3 point percentage I was much more disturbed by the number of three point attempts against an undersized opponent. Our guys were not taking the best available shots for much of the game and this must change.
  13. NorthCaptivaGator

NorthCaptivaGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +411
    Wow! How many turnovers?

Sent from my iPhone using GatorCountry
  14. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,114
    I highly doubt Kurtz and Donovan see any time unless we are severely short due to further injuries or suspensions. And I also highly doubt our rotation gets to ten, let alone beyond it. There is a reason coaches don't have such deep benches in college: kids get zero flow in the game playing in four minute spurts.
  15. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,114
    What post threats did we have out there? Young and Yeguete were good when they were on the floor, but we played a third of the game with Prather and Kurtz together in the post. Most of the time we had the length of a good high school team. Everyone was out of position. Some of the shots were bad, but many came in the framework of the offense by kids who either aren't good shooters, won't be in the rotation two weeks from now, or are walk-ons.
  16. g8rboy

g8rboy Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +904
    I believe 4
  17. ThePlayer

ThePlayer VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,381
    I knew a girl who lost 2 years of schooling from mono when we were little kids.
    Aren't these things very individual...almost like staph infections?
  18. iam4uf

iam4uf Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +489
    Donovan looked s-l-o-w out there.
  19. InstiGATOR1

Ratings Received:
    +75
    Well does that mean he is smooth enough to play PG without being out of control or is he just really slow. You probably can not know that until we see him against better athletes, but as I remember he was not athletically overwhelmed against UF in an exhibition a few years back.
  20. GatoRella

GatoRella Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +249
    I don't understand how PY hasn't developed any offensive game during his four years on campus. He looks the exact same as when he was a freshman, big muscles and ZERO touch.

Love Pat but he has next to no skill down low.