Ever have your boss fail to cover your back?

Discussion in 'The GatorTail Pub' started by Gator515151, Aug 2, 2013.

1. Gator515151

Gator515151 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +203
    I had an argument this morning with a customer (citizen) trying to pull a fast one on me. When things didn't go the way he wanted he threatened to call the mayors office. I laughed and told him to call whoever he wanted as I walked out the door.

Well this evening I logged onto the counties computer system just to make sure that I didn't make any mistakes when I entered my results into the system. I was pretty angry this morning and am prone to making errors under pressure. Anyway upon logging on I discovered that a co-worker was sent into my area this afternoon to clean up my mess so to speak. He gave the customer exactly what he wanted. Well I have 2 days to cool down before Monday. I am used to the boss backing up my decisions and this has me thoroughly pissed right now.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. gatorjjh

gatorjjh BS Jm, UF Class of '69 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +9,427
    I work for a state government and have worked in and around state & local govt for 45 years, been the boss and had good bosses and bad, the more political your job the more likely you are to find the boss covering his/her ass rather than having your back.
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Gator515151

Ratings Received:
    +203
    The last time this happened was 20 years ago. It was sort of racial in nature. I had an argument with a black woman who wrongly accused me of being racist. I fully understood him backing the lady up and asking me to back down in that case although I didn't agree with it.
  4. g8orbill

g8orbill Gators VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +9,835
    51- the customer is not always right

but the customer is always the customer
    • Like Like x 1
  5. deathroll

deathroll Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +675
    My new answer (as of January of '12). Right, wrong, in-between, it does not matter. Swallow every ounce of pride you ever had. Smile, apologize, cow-tow, kiss hiney, do whatever is necessary to keep those pay checks coming in.
    • Like Like x 3
  6. Gator515151

Ratings Received:
    +203
    Bill, this customer was not only wrong but he deceived me. It bordered on fraud. In addition I would never have approved his job without some changes. I guess I should be happy somebody else came in behind me did what I refused to and now it is his license on the line not mine.

What eats at me is that obviously somebody upstairs took the customers word over mine and the fact that a co-worker followed me up without my knowledge and approved the job makes me look even more wrong. I can't really fault my co-worker, I have been asked to do the same thing when another inspector had a customer he couldn't get along with. He obviously did not know what I knew and was just following instructions. I do need to let this go though.
    • Like Like x 2
  7. g8orbill

g8orbill Gators VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +9,835
    I fully understand where you are coming from 51- but as a business owner I take a different track- I do however always tell my mgr's not to view how I handle a situation as a reflection on their handling of it- if you give someone great service on average they might tell 5 people- if you piss off a customer no matter the fact that they were wrong they are going to tell everyone
  8. vangator1

vangator1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +163
    51, I would inform your coworker so they know what you know so they won't be blind sided. If your coworker is a jerk, I'd just smile and see what happens.
    • Like Like x 2
  9. gatorkarl

gatorkarl Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +69
    I remember about 50 years ago I had a boss cover my back and have often wondered just how much that meant over the years, it's a debt I will never be able to repay.