Even Pessimists Feel Optimistic Over Economy

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by Row6, Jun 16, 2013.

1. g8trjax

g8trjax Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +322
    No worries, just a Bernanke trial balloon.
  2. rpmGator

rpmGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +571
    Real Estate sales are up and construction companies are cranking up in a major way and you can read a lot of good news in a business section of a newspaper if you can remove yourself from party for a moment.

Remember the sky is falling debt crisis...didn't happen.

Too much negative and defeatist talk, and almost hoping for bad news because of a temp in the whitehouse.

The party was so busy crying wolf, they missed the good things going on all around them. Even now, reaching for bad news to ignore the good.
  3. 92gator

92gator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +845
    ^^^FWIW: not being gratuitously negative. Just the opposite--I AM bullish on the economy--but I'm a 'guppy'. Look at the 'whales'--they appear to be heading out to sea.

The reason cited in my link, makes a great deal of sense--how pray tell could we print up so much money is such a short period of time, and not feel any consequences?

None of that has anything at all to do with partisan leanings. In fact, for years I've based my confidence in the economy on the record corp. reserves, figuring it would be just a matter of time before they opened teh spickets and started investing those dollars. It appears they have to an extent...

...but that doesn't negate Buffett, Soros and Paulson--all of pretty credible prescience wrt to the stock market--apparently pulling out.
  4. jimgata

jimgata Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +685
    Is this economy so weak, that just the hint of losing Bernake money causes the market to tank like it did?
  5. g8orbill

g8orbill Gators VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +9,036
    personally, I would say yes
  6. gatordowneast

gatordowneast Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +985
    Definitely yes. There is no longer a direct link to the overall "health of the economy" and the stock market. There is a direct link to the Fed buying $85 B in bonds monthly and the markets.

Economy is on a treadmill moving at snail speed of 1.7 MPH. If people think that is the best America can do, then we are resigning ourselves to economic stagnation and a lost decade.
  7. TheRaid

TheRaid VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +696
    Bernake will be seen as a catalyst for the next recession. While interest rates continue to soar during the period when housing purchases are made most, it will cool what would have been a great recovery year in the housing market. It will be somewhat disguised early because of what is already in the system, but new loan initiatives will decline sharply and people will not be able to buy as much house, which will put downward pressure on prices... right when it was gaining traction.

What will it be like in 6 months when most of Obama care and the fiscal cliff and sequestration and government pull out of bond buying all converge? Who knows. Buckle your seat (financial) belt.
  8. g8trjax

g8trjax Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +322
    America's basically treading water. I would agree that people are getting on with their lives, kind of like 'I'm not going to participate in this recession' thinking. I believe you mistake realism for pessimism and make no mistake, the gov't will lie through it's teeth to keep the population upbeat. Not even everyone in the fed agrees with these rosy predictions of Bernanke's. http://www.stlouisfed.org/newsroom/displayNews.cfm?article=1829
  9. rpmGator

rpmGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +571
    The headline in today's Sarasota Herald is "8 year high on homes."

The last two months have seen sales that only months during the boom saw.

Hard for me to be all gloom and doom while watching a huge economic driver getting back on its feet.

The article included the facts that the state and nation have seen gains that were 13% higher than this time last year.

Lots of good news, too much to focus on only the bad. Bad news is out there also, for some this is the only news they acknowledge.