ESPN Position Rankings Complied and Thoughts

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by slayerxing, Jun 19, 2014.

1. slayerxing

slayerxing Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,025
    Rankings by Unit:
    QB: 6
    RB: 8
    WR/TE: 10
    OL: 8
    DL: 5
    LB: 5
    DB: 2
    ST: still waiting

Top 10 players as ranked by ESPN per position group for Florida:
    #1 CB - Vernon Hargreaves III
    #1 DE - Dante Fowler Jr.
    #4 TE - Jake McGee
    #6 QB - Jeff Driskel
    #10 DT - Leon Orr
    #10 RB - Kelvin Taylor
    #10 OL - Chaz Green

They haven't reported on Special Teams or Safety yet.

Here is a breakdown of the rest of the SEC so far: Basically what it says is that UF, based on the current rankings, is the 8th best team in the SEC, with the #10 offense, and tied for #2 defense.

Screen Shot 2014-06-19 at 1.03.09 PM.png
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. irongator9

irongator9 Member

Ratings Received:
    +121
    I long for the day when I'll look at these type of rankings and see UF with a nationally decorated tailback. Sometimes I think I'll die before I ever see a legitimately elite tailback in orange and blue again.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Tebowism0823

Tebowism0823 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,070
    Like I stated in the other thread, I think our RE/TE and RB position are rated wayyyyyy to low. I think our starting 5 on the oline are good but understand the ranking because of unknown depth.
  4. Tebowism0823

Tebowism0823 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,070
    I personally think Taylor and Lane can be that. Also, I loved C4!
  5. irongator9

irongator9 Member

Ratings Received:
    +121
    I'm hoping so. I don't know if Taylor is the back that everyone has made him out to be and it's a little annoying to see Henry go to Bama and do what he did (especially after they already reaped the benefits of another FL back in Richardson). I'm holding out a lot of hope for Lane - praying he is the next MJD or Ray Rice - but we'll see.

C4 was solid, but I don't really consider him elite.

I guess it's against the rules for UF to ever have a Heisman caliber RB. I probably should just feel fortunate that I get to watch our rivals grace us with the likes of Moreno, Ingram, Richardson, Gurley, Lattimore, and so forth. It's probably asking too much of our meek little program to ever land a genuine star on the recruiting trail and then feed him the rock so he can develop into a stud and take pressure off our QBs.
  6. Tebowism0823

Tebowism0823 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,070
    Not to beat a dead horse because I understand your point and agree, but C4 was the 17th best RB in 2004. Of course, 70% of his career attempts came in that season. Would have loved to see what he could do 3 years in a row.
  7. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,810
    These rankings would have more meaning if numerical weights were assigned to the strength of each position group.
  8. GCNumber7

GCNumber7 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +596
    I'll take a nationally decorated offense player of any kind. Hard to believe we are barely middle of the pack in our own conference from a talent perspective.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  9. cistern

cistern Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +497
    I don't see anything unexpected in these rankings and I understand why they graded us as they did. If our players/team feels slighted by the rankings then all they need to do is live up to their potential and/or prove why they should be ranked higher. They, in my opinion, haven't done that as of yet and that's why they're ranked where they are.

I find it interesting they rank Alabama at #5 on QB units. Jacob Coker hasn't even stepped foot on campus if I recall correctly and I don't think I even remember the other guys in their QB unit (which says enough).
    • Agree Agree x 3
  10. Tebowism0823

Tebowism0823 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,070
    If you were to trade the word perspective with production I'd be with ya. From a talent standpoint we'd be up there with anybody.
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  11. gator_n_sc

gator_n_sc Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,866
    Fred taylor! Legitimate in college and the real deal in the pros. Few realize he is top 15 nfl all time rushing yards member. Better than guys like OJ Simpson, Eddie george, Earl campbell, etc. And only 700 yards behind a guy named Jim brown. He and emmitt are the to best backs I've seen come through UF in my lifetime. Though I was just a boy when emmitt was there, I was very into Freds career at UF. I still remember when he ran all over Penn State in the bowl game. I think they boasted a Curtis enis that year, (I think) and Fred was just a beast.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. slayerxing

Ratings Received:
    +1,025
    My take from these rankings:
    • Alabama is perhaps a bit overrated. I don't think they're that much better than the rest of the conference.
    • There is going to be a lot of parity in the SEC this year. A lot.
    • Missouri is underrated big time.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,122
    The reason why were down is that we can't put the word "proven" before "talent" and the phrase "in a workable system" after "talent." Here's to hoping that both the prefix and suffix to "talent" will be realized this year. If so, then those rankings (and our over ranking) will substantially rise.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  14. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,122
    I was one who thought Mizzou was going to be great in 2013, but i think they will take a large dip this year. They lose at LEAST 14 starters from lat year. Maybe more. That is HUGE.
  15. nolagator

nolagator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +400
    I don't like be ranked high at this time. I'd rather catch the world off guard. I predicted we would shock a lot of teams in 2012 but as a team we were not that great.

We are plenty strong at RB and yes QB but it's the OL depth that I am worried about. Why were we so good in past years? Look at our line play. My second concern is tied to the line, the TE/WRs. But mark my words, if we give Driskel time he'll be MUCH better.

I not to concerned with the D. We may not be shut-down good but if Roper can score we'll shock some people.
  16. slayerxing

Ratings Received:
    +1,025
    I agree they will take a step back, definitely. But the schedule is still very manageable. They get Arkansas and TAMU from the west, which look to be two of the weaker teams in the conference as of today. Their OOC is pretty easy, although I guess UCF could maybe pick them off at home, but I doubt it. Vanderbilt and Kentucky @ Mizzou should both be very beatable. That looks like 8 wins pretty easily to me.

I'm not sure if Tennessee is going to have the horses on the lines to deal with Mizzou, who should be very stout on the offensive and defensive lines again. Markus Golden and Shane Ray should be very good for Mizzou at the ends. Although UT did play pretty well @ UT last year, so maybe a trap game? Still I like Mizzou to win. That's 9 wins.

Their other 3 games are vs UGA, @ SC, @ UF.

No one would be shocked if Mizzou upset UGA in Mizzou, and UF is a huge question mark right now, and it's not like SC isn't without some concerns either.

I would say 9-3 would be a fair projections for them, but I mean, if a few things go their way, with that easy schedule as it stands today, it wouldn't be shocking to see Mizzou at 10 or 11 wins again.
  17. slayerxing

Ratings Received:
    +1,025
    In retrospect, that 2012 UF team was very damn strong. Each of their defensive units ranked in the top 2 or 3 in the conference at the end of the year. The weakest unit was probably LB's, but even that unit was very strong that year. The special teams was tops in the conference, and the Mike G was a top 5 RB in the league. If the offense had been even half-way decent, UF would have gone undefeated and won a natty.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. ThePlayer

ThePlayer VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,084
    Not since C4....or Errict Rhett....or Emmitt Smith.
    But I'll settle for a hybrid like Percy Harvin again.
  19. Tebowism0823

Tebowism0823 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,070
    A lot of of those rankings are from predicting the talent, bot necessarily what they have already done on the field. That's why I stated if it was going by perspective, or talent on paper, we are as good as anybody else except bama. Not even factoring in the new coaching.
  20. gator_n_sc

gator_n_sc Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,866
    They lost 22 of their 29 total receiving tds from last year in just DBG's dismissal (12) and Washingtons graduation (10). Its tough for a young qb to lose a security blanket like the freakishly tall wr DBG.