ESPN Abby Wambach documentary

Discussion in 'Women of the Swamp' started by G2MGA, May 15, 2013.

1. G2MGA

G2MGA Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +57
    http://www.gatorzone.com/story.php?id=25658

I just caught the tail end of it tonight on ESPNU. If you missed it, keep an eye out or set the DVR as I'm sure they will be replaying it. Great insight into the career of an all-time great Gator and US women's national team member.

I missed the part about her time at UF, but what I saw was very well done with great interviews with Abby and many of her teammates on the national team, including Mia Hamm and former UF teammate Heather Mitts.
  2. sharkey28

sharkey28 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +88
    I remember when I was in college I went to a few lady gators soccer games since they were free and I remember seeing her out on the field, just dominating... left thinking damn that girl is pretty darn good.
  3. palmbayed

palmbayed Member

Ratings Received:
    +8
    I saw it, Jack Youngblood was the narrator, it was awesome. I had Danielle Fatopalas(sp?)
    when I did my teaching internship at Lyman High School in Longwood. I think she won varsity letters in like 6 or 8 sports in high school. She was about 5'11 in high school.
  4. GatorJeff

GatorJeff Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +9
    Fotopoulos
  5. PD

PD VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +11,143
    Always thought that Danielle was going to be the post-college player that Abby became, but I think she was too into her family or just lost the fire for competition. She was the best collegiate soccer player I ever saw.
  6. GboroGator

GboroGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +627
    Injuries also hampered Fotopoulos throughout her career. She never became the star on the USWNT that she should have been. She also unfortunately was playing when April Heinrichs was the coach of the WNT. The absolute worst coach the US has had.
  7. G2MGA

G2MGA Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +57
    I think in that era it was also still very hard for players to break the national team lineup, especially from outside the Carolina mafia. I always remember Danielle sitting on the bench while lesser attackers from UNC like Tarpley got major minutes.

The Abby documentary makes some good points about how her good fortune to play in the short-lived WUSA alongside Hamm was really what got her a serious look on the USWNT. If it existed when Danielle graduated, who knows how history might have been different.
  8. PD

PD VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +11,143
    FYI, this will be replayed (probably for the last time) on ESPNU on Wednesday at 10am.

Set your DVRs accordingly.
  9. gatorr4life

gatorr4life Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,644
    Had it dvr'd. Just finished watching it. IF YOU HAVE A DAUGHER PLAYING SPORTS, ANY SPORTS- NOT JUST SOCCER, HAVE HER WATCH IT! Great, great documentary.
  10. oldgator

oldgator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +139
    Tend to believe that either Jack Youngblood sought the narrator job or jumped on it when offered to him. Both he and Abby have similar level of competitive spirit, etc

To me, Abby is special in many ways...but what really stands out is that she appears to be the total package for being a role model to girls, boys, women, men.

Thing that stands out in regards to Abby as a person is in the commentary she did during the documentary is how 'unfiltered' and spontaneous she was when being interviewed was pretty much the same unfiltered and spontaneous as she was yelling, talking, etc during games, etc. That there appeared to be none of that modifying stuff for the interview camera that we see all too often from prominent athletes