ESPN: 5 players who must step up on D

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by theghost, Jan 27, 2014.

1. theghost

theghost Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,579
  2. UFreak

UFreak Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,295
    I think I'd replace Bullard with Maye. But I like the list.

Also, we really need one of the DTs from last years class to step up. Bostwick, Brantley, etc
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2014
  3. oneatatime

oneatatime Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +443
    Other than Poole, nobody else from the secondary?

I would suggest that whoever wins the other cornerback spot or nickleback if Poole moves over.

As for safety, I haven't given up on Marcus Maye
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. ltraz

ltraz Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +268
    I agree with Poole, Orr and Bullard.

1) Poole needs to either improve at nickel or perform at CB so he needs to step up in some way.

2) Even if we get production out of the RSFR DTs (which we need), Orr will be a step above the other 3. We don't have a Spikes and need our DTs to get penetration.

3) Ball is also on there bc it's doubtful we have someone that could effectively fill the SAM if he went down. For all the RoPo bashing people love to do the difference btw him and Ball at OLB last year was staggering. Need Ball to add 10# and use it.

4) 4 & 5 are going to get me run out of here, but if I'm picking specific players (as opposed to just a position that we need 1 of 3 possibles to step up) then I'm going with VH3 and Fowler. VH3 is obviously the starter on one side, but we need him to go from great freshman to better-than-Haden to take pressure off the other cb (possibly a true freshman) and let our SS live in the box (whoever it ends up being will be a thumper). JJ played great as a true freshman partly bc of what Haden allowed us to do.

5) I put Fowler (vs Bullard) on here bc he brings a skillset that no one else does. He obviously brings a passrush that we lack w/o him, but he also allows us to be a multiple set D. Not sure either of his backups will allow that. Bullard needs to be affective for 60% if the snaps...Fowler will play 80%.
  5. gatordude15

gatordude15 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +103
    Here is my list:

1. Orr - Has to have an impact close to what Easley had at the beginning of last season. Granted he doesn't have the kind of talent that Easley had, who in my mind was the best football player in the NCAA last season before he got injured.

2. Bullard - Somebody other than Fowler has to get some kind of pass rush going. It has been very stagnant as of late, and with us breaking in at least one new CB starter, we have to be able to not allow the opposing QB time to pick on him.

3. Brantley/Bostwick - One of these RS Frosh has to step up as I believe we will be substituting D-Linemen more than we have because of our now up-tempo offense putting our D on the field even more. One of these two will have to get better so that there is not a huge drop-off when Orr and Cummings come off the field.

4. A Safety - I doubt that any team in the country has the amount of talent that we do at this position, but until somebody steps up and turns into the next Elam, RFN, Black, or Wright, then we will just be a good D and not a great one. Harris, Neal, Washington, or Maye will have to get better and solidify the D, especially with the rumor of Riggs transferring.

5. The Offense - We can't keep putting our D in bad situations with turnovers, 3-and-outs, and just overall moral busting discouraging performances, which leads to too much pressure on the D.
  6. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,009
    Uh... what?
  7. ltraz

ltraz Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +268
    What's your issue with his opinion? I feel like it's valid
  8. Gatorrick22

Ratings Received:
    +6,009
    Lol...

#90 Jonathan Bullard DL6′ 3″265 SO 1L Shelby, N.C./Crest Senior

#20 Marcus Maye DB 6′ 0″200 RF RSQ Melbourne/Holy Trinity Episcopal School
  9. theghost

theghost Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,579
    I think what he's saying is that Bullard is "proven"...so we don't need him to step up, he's already a commodity. Whereas Maye needs to "step up" because we need to fill a void at Safety. Maybe that's what he's saying?

I'd like to see Bryan Cox or one of the other DE's step it up and become a great pass rusher. We need someone on our DL that can get to the QB regularly. I'd like to see our top sack leader with more than 5 or 6 sacks (more like 10-15 sacks). As we all know, many of those sacks come in the cream-puff games.
  10. gator_fever

gator_fever Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +393
    I hope Taylor is the starting MLB now. Morrison had no feel for that position at all. Davis looked real promising at LB also when he got his chance to play.
  11. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +8,501
    My perspective is that we have a lot of talent on this defense, and enough experence, that it doesn't need to be any one specific guy that steps up... as long as somebody does. My focus is more on positions we need to get right.

1. Safety - Neal and Harris or Mayes... (I assume they're the top safeties not named Gorman). We need guys who reliably make smart decisions, communicate and tackle well. These guys are all big time talented recruits who can run and hit, but how quickly can they play smart enough to eliminate home run plays?
    2. Somebody at Mike to make calls, read the various run block schemes teams use and get to the ball without getting too tied up in traffic. Not convinced this is AM's best position, but if it is, that's great. Need a better job seeing seams/cut back lanes the zone blocking teams create.
    3. DT rotation. Plenty of talent here... need at least four guys who will reliably keep the LBs clean in the run game, push the pocket on pass downs, and hopefully at least one who can really disrupt.
    4. SDE rotation... need productive guys behind Bullard, and get to the QB quicker.
    5. Buck rotation... need productive guys behind Fowler, getting game reps, to give him a blow and build game ready depth.
  12. goneagaingator

goneagaingator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +707
    I think the key to defensive success this season hinges on what they can do in the middle of that defense. And I think Leon Orr is the guy who really has to turn it on. I honestly believe that Orr is one of the five most athletic (along with Cody Riggs, Driskel, Hargreaves and Dante Fowler) players on scholarship, has the ability to dominate, and can be as good as he wants to be.

Research shows that championship teams usually have NFL talent at defensive tackle; in fact, they almost always do. Leon Orr can play pro football. My understanding is that Lawing teaches a bit more about how important it is to use your hands at the point of attack to shed blocks, and that's one thing we need from our tackles: become better at disengaging and getting off of blocks on a consistent basis.
  13. gator_fever

gator_fever Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +393
    I think after watching Morrison last season that he will definately be moved. He was out of position so many times it was crazy.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  14. ltraz

ltraz Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +268
    Ohhhh... you don't actually think anyone was implying we replace Bullard with Maye on the field, do you? This is a thread about a list of players to step up.
  15. goneagaingator

goneagaingator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +707
    Yeah, I think Bullard is a pretty proven player. His skill set isn't designed to necessarily produce plays that show up on the stat sheet, but he's done a good job since being here. If we can become more disruptive inside, I think that will give Bullard and Fowler a chance to have more one-on-one battles on the edge and ultimately make more plays in the backfield.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. dadx4

dadx4 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,080
    When we only win 4 games, I think a lot of people were out of position....lol......
  17. Gatorrick22

Ratings Received:
    +6,009
    Now I see what the other poster tried to say. Lol... All but about three players on Defense should be on that list, IMHO. Even though 8th in total defense and 12th in scoring defense is great most of the time, many of the teams with better defense stats were in the SEC... We need to be top two or three, at least, to compete in this league. I just hope the Offense gets it's act together next year.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. MusicCityGator

MusicCityGator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,303
    Did anyone besides me realize while watching the Super Bowl why our D did not develop last year as well as it had the year before. We should have tried harder to hold on to Quinn.