Eric Wilbur organizing charity golf event in Orlando

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by watsonw, Oct 8, 2013.

1. watsonw

watsonw New Member

Ratings Received:
    +0
    Hello Gators:

It's been a long time. I'm three-plus years removed from hosting college football shows on Sun Sports and FOX Sports Florida; that's how long it's been since I accepted an offer to go to work at Golf Channel.

While I hope you are watching us from time to time in between Gator games, I also hope you don't mind this intrusion so that I can ask for your help.

Your former BCS National Championship punter, Eric Wilbur, is a fellow graduate of Trinity Prep in Winter Park, Florida -- my alma mater, in my hometown, where I still reside today. Eric lost his father, George, in 2011. George was a graduate of Colonial High School in Orlando and a passionate Gator fan. You cannot imagine how proud he was to see his youngest child win a National Championship as a Florida Gator. We lost George far too soon.

Luckily, his friends and family have carried on his memory. His widow, Lynn, is a teacher at Trinity Prep, and she sees my son every day as he navigates the complexities of middle school. If I'm lucky, my son will grow up to be half the man that Eric has grown to be. Eric fought his way through several stints with the NFL -- the Jaguars, Texans, and Jets -- and then played off and on in the CFL for 3 years while also getting married to UF grad Ali Peek. They are happy and healthy together in the Orlando area.

Eric and I have been in touch quite a bit lately, and he recently told me about a golf tournament in Orlando in November that will not only honor his dad's legacy, but also raise money for the National Kidney Foundation. Together, we hope that we can raise awareness and funds so that others may be saved where George could not.

Gator Nation, will you step up?

We would appreciate any and all support, be it via sponsorship, a simple donation, or buying a spot in the tournament. It's November 15th at Rio Pinar Country Club in Orlando, the same course that once hosted the PGA Tour's Citrus Open (prior to Arnold Palmer and Bay Hill). It's a great cause, for a great Gator family. I plan to be there, along with my son -- and I'm hoping to recruit my dad, Lawrence, UF '66, Law '69. Want to come tee it up with us?

More info: http://www.georgewilburmemorial.com/

Thanks for allowing me to 'troll' this far. Hope you all are well; I miss doing Gator pregame and postgame shows. Thank you again for the time.

All the best --

Whit Watson

Winter Park, Florida
  2. GatorGrowl

GatorGrowl Forum Admin Staff Member GC Staff VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,234
    Glad to have you aboard Whit.