Enough with blaming one player

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by WindoverG8tr, Sep 8, 2013.

1. WindoverG8tr

WindoverG8tr Member

Ratings Received:
    +27 / 8 / -0
    Yes Driskell made some bad decisions, maybe even bone headed decisions. Still, remember this is the same fan base that largely gave up on Chris Leak as points too. Some of the same things were said about him, "We will never win an SEC championship with Chris Leak" etc.,
    In my opinion the Miami debacle is exactly why you don't go vanilla and play conservative against the Bowling Greens and Toledos of the football world. Will has to let the offense loose and get game reps of some more "creative" offense when we are playing overmatched teams. My thought is the more creative reps in those situations only help us when we must be creative against big-boy defenses.
    Clearly there is plenty of blame to spread around in this loss. Coaches and players alike made mistakes. I'm glad Burton manned up and admitted he ran the wrong route on one of the int's, in fact he's quoted as saying it was his worst game ever. I only wish the coaching staff would admit their mistakes. How many times have you heard Spurrier admit the coaching staff let the players down? Most big losses, he took the blame.
    I think eventually, Will M. will be a great head coach. But he is clearly still learning on the job. (At one point I was wondering if Les Miles was coaching us) This is what happens when you hire a head coach with zero head coaching experience to lead one of the top 10 programs in the country. I'm sure Spurrier and Meyer made plenty of mistakes and learned a lot at Duke and Bowling Green.
    In short, it's a team loss, players, coaches, even Foley- not a Driskell loss.
  2. Gatorphenom

Gatorphenom New Member

Ratings Received:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    Who is Driskell??? But yea I certainly agree with the coaching staff needing to take responsibility for these losses...
  3. UFreak

UFreak Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +702 / 38 / -4
    Maybe he added the extra "L" because of the L yesterday. Just kidding. This is not all on Jeff, obviously.
  4. eastowest

eastowest Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +150 / 6 / -3
    Im sure our players and coaches are behind Jeff....we as fans should do the same!
  5. GatorDad

GatorDad New Member

Ratings Received:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Most of us are behind Driskel, much the way his passes are behind receivers. It's all on the coaches to find an offensive identity that allows him to be successful, in his 2nd year as a starter, they still haven't figured that out, and that is why they are on their way to the hot seat.
  6. Drewsagator

Drewsagator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Great post.
    I would put this more on the coaches as they put players, namely Driskel, into situations that didn't fit their best skill set....maybe try running a draw play to the fullback in the redzone instead of forcing JD to try and pass it in on a short field where the coverages are very tight....worst case is you take the FG and put points on the board. That IMO is where we lost the game.
    Defense played freat,ST's were solid and offense moved the ball between the 20's and had very few 3 and outs. If the coaches decide to take what was given them we would have won this game 26-14...it's more on the coaches than the players.
  7. dohcvtecpower

dohcvtecpower Member

Ratings Received:
    +38 / 3 / -1
    Truth.
  8. Gatorphenom

Gatorphenom New Member

Ratings Received:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    great post rep
  9. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +274 / 79 / -16
    Wins and losses are ALWAYS a team effort, and so much can occur that is completely out of the coach's hands. It's the same in warfare. A general and his staff can put together the most meticulous operations plan imaginable, and drill it incessantly, but once the first round goes downrange, the battle is often thrown to the Fates.

As military planners, what we never forget is that the other side wants to win, too, and in all our debacles, a primary reason for our losses was complacency, be it from the South during First Manassas, Kasserine Pass in Africa during WWII, the Phillipines during same ("The Japanese cannot fly aircraft" - Douglas MacArthur), the North Koreans during Task Force Smith, the North Vietnamese to the French in Diem Bien Phu, the VC/NVA versus the Americans in Ia Drang. One could also say that the occupation phase in Baghdad was extremely difficult because military and civilian planners underestimated the resistance of Ba'ath party members, Al Quaeda, and other terrorists, etc. In all of these engagements, we were overconfident in our abilities and dismissive of our opponents.
  10. socraticsilence

socraticsilence New Member

Ratings Received:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Driskel at his very best has never looked as good as an average Chris Leak game.
  11. G8R92

G8R92 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +177 / 14 / -2
    You're being completely unfair with Driskel. He completes 17 of 22 in the first game and 22 of 33 yesterday. Two of the turnovers were not his fault. One came following a timeout when the receiver admittedly ran the WRONG ROUTE and the other on a blindside sack.
  12. 95Gator

95Gator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,428 / 17 / -8
    I think it's a Driskel / coaches loss. Nobody else could be blamed for the five plays that if all didn't exist would have made it a blowout and if 2 didn't exist would have been a win. All of those plays started in the hands of Driskel and his lack of pocket presence. Why place blame where it doesn't belong. Coach up Driskel so the rest of his fine game etches a win instead of the most lopsided loss of all time. It's difficult to have the ball for 40 mins and lose. Also, going for two instead of tying at the beginning of the game might have been the worst coaching play call I've seen since I began watching in 95. Nope om coaches and Driskel and MAYBE some O line. The rest of the team is probably passed.
  13. WarDamnGator

WarDamnGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +135 / 8 / -3
    Going for two was dumb. Going for it on 4th and inches from the bunch formation/QB sneak ... I just don't understand that play. The defense knows exactly what's coming and blows it up more often than not. We left another 3 points off the board there.

I think Driskel played well enough to win, but it was like UGA all over again. 5 turn overs (6 if you count the 4th down), most of them deep at one end of the field or the other, either gave UM easy points or cost us easy points. Driskel only really had one bad mistake on the turnovers, the rest were a team effort.
  14. MiamiGator79

MiamiGator79 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +18 / 1 / -0
    No blame on Burton or Jones coughing it up or Garcia whiffing on block on Driskel's blind side? Or Burton not turning to look for the ball that nearly hit him in the head?
  15. 95Gator

95Gator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,428 / 17 / -8
    Yeah, they get some blame but that's not where our crux was. We could have easily absorbed that if the coaches had JD better suited to his current game.

Fumbles and missed blocks are a part of the game that if held down are dealable. Consistent problems with the clock, interceptions, and sacks because of a lack of knowing it's coming should not be a part of the game consistently and with that fixed we win by a lot with the missed block and the fumble.

The other side of that is that we were set up to win because of JD playing well.
  16. jisgator

jisgator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +33 / 9 / -6
    Dude you can't come on this board and state things that make perfect sense. Don't you know that it's a prerequisite to make completely irrational comments? We'll let it go this time but remember your next post must blame either Driskel and/or Muschamp for being incompetent and over their head. And all comments must be made with complete non-sensible attitude.