Eliminate 1 word from your vocab and shed the lbs

Discussion in 'Gator Country Health and Fitness' started by Bernadette, Jul 20, 2012.

1. Bernadette

Bernadette GC Staff Staff Member GC Staff VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +287
    How many times have you said or heard people say, "I am going/want to loose weight"?

By using the word "loose" we automatically set ourselves up to fail or make shedding unwanted lbs much more difficult because we are trained from birth to find that which is lost. Ergo, stating that you will "loose" weight implies you will eventually find it again .

If it's any help, a technique I'm working with (because both my hubby and I have gained 40 since we got married) is to visualize my excess weight sloughing off me and going to someone who needs it (i.e. starving kids anywhere in the world).
  2. Dreamliner

Dreamliner Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,423
    So, we can say, "I'm going to slough off weight" ? :wink:

Welcome to the forum, Bernadette!
  3. Bernadette

Ratings Received:
    +287
    Good point! "I'm going to" is not a commitment. "I am" sloughing off weight...that's way mo' better!

Thanks for the welcome and thank YOU for contributing so much to GC and to our member's health!
  4. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +2,423
    You're welcome. And don't make yourself scarce over here. Keep us updated.
  5. UFNut

UFNut Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +7
    I don't often here people say they want to loose weight....I do hear them say they want to lose weight though...
  6. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,224
    An even better way to say it is that you want to live healthy. If you eat right and exercise the rest will usually take care of itself.
  7. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +2,423
    ora, I know what you're saying. But I know people who 'eat right' but are obese and unhealthy (because they are eating too much food). This is why, in my training, I focus on 'eat less' and am not squeamish about talking about losing weight, knowing full-well that, when they lose weight, their health markers are almost certain to improve (regardless the composition of their diet).
  8. mastoidbone

mastoidbone VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +18
    I am very much hoping to stop using anti-hypertensives when I reach my weight/exercise goal....will reduce them and check my pressure daily---if i can stay under 120/80 without them I will 100% stop taking them.
  9. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +2,423
    Pulling for you. Seems to work for most of folks. Not for my sister. She's 5-2 100, runs marathons. does yoga, eats fastidiously ... and has to take TWO blood pressure meds.
  10. malscott

malscott Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +343
    you never have to exercise a day in your life if you can eat small portions. The key: Jam less food into your mouth. It has been proven people don't need to do any more than walk to be healthy. Assuming they're not banging back, processed food, sodas and large meals. Eat vegetables, meat, fish and drink water. Don't pork out on the meat. Get ur butt off the couch and live long. I eat light and swim. Splurge occasionally on some cake and what have you. Eat to live-don't live to eat...that's about all I have to say about that... :)
  11. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +2,423
    That's true. Where in the world, outside of America, do people do something called 'exercise' ? I only know one guy in Italy who does it. :joecool:
  12. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,224
    I hear you, but part of eating right is portions and watching intake though no? I love drinking fruit juice but I realize with the sugar and calories 5 big glasses a day probably isn't in my best interest, so it's water for most of the day. Heck switching to water from soda or other bad drinks is an easy step anyone can take, a girl I worked with lost 15 pounds in two months just by eliminating soda from her diet.
  13. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +2,423
    Yes, that's exactly what I'm talking about, portion size as opposed to obsessing over composition of diet, as so many do.

Recently I tool on a morbidly-obese client who divulged that she drank 8-9 cans of sugared soda a day. I told her that I didn't expect her to cut out her beloved soda ... but that the math wouldn't work for her drinking 8-9 of them.
  14. ATL_Gator

ATL_Gator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,413
    I will testify that it can be done.

Was 260+ running 140/90 before meds. Was on norvasc 10 mg for about 3 or 4 years. Per the docs orders, had to consistently hit 110/70 or less (3 readings over 2 months in office) then she reduced me by half, then watch for another 2 months staying."significantly below" 120/80.

Dropped the pills completely at about 215 or so.

Not that everyone can get off of them, but it is most certainly possible.

Good luck.
  15. Bernadette

Ratings Received:
    +287
    And right you is! Thx for the heid's up. Good greef. Yu'ld think I'm not in the biz of gurnalism! lol

Though, do you often here people or do you hear them? lol