Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Elephant in the Recruiting Room

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by doctorg8r, Mar 5, 2024.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. doctorg8r

doctorg8r GC Hall of Fame

Dec 11, 2018
    Obviously, the terminology of the elephant in the room is a non-discussable topic ( and non-disscussable is not even a word). With that out of the way, I will try to talk about the elephant in the room. The article below does just that--sort of. Nevertheless, I am scratching my head. What the heck is going on with...? I am glad somebody knows, but Gator fans do not--I think. At least, I don't. Apparently, Ohio State is way out in front, and, maybe, we are trying to get there, but I'm not impressed! Forgive my vagueness, but if I am transparent about the elephant in the room, then my post gets deleted. I want to see the Gator football program be successful, but this article is not encouraging me. Gator Nation, your thoughts?
    Florida's NIL changes its approach out of necessity

2. swampbabe

swampbabe GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Viera, FL
    What don’t you understand? Gator fans are not currently supporting NIL with their contributions at the same level as some other schools.

It’s a chicken/egg argument. Hard to get folks to support a team with some challenges but more money to spend would make meeting some of those challenges easier.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  3. MarineG8R

MarineG8R GC Hall of Fame

Nov 19, 2014
    You can even see on many threads on this forum how some feel about NIL. Now apply that same thought to the larger fan base and you see the issue. UF Alumni are different and have different priorities IMO. I think they are doing about as good as they can. I pay 250 a month. I do my part. I do think it's hard to ask families to contribute to these things especially in this inflationary period so I have no qualms with people that chose not to, but I also don't think they are in any place to complain about UF NIL.

Eventually I see this going to a shared revenue with the players. When and if that happens I think UF will be fine and near the top.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2024
    • Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. username

username GC Hall of Fame

Aug 17, 2017
    I would argue Florida fans are smarter and see the scam that is NIL and aren’t going to waste their money on it

• Like x 4
    • Funny x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Winner x 1
    • Optimistic x 1
    • Come On Man x 1
  5. swampbabe

Apr 8, 2007
    Viera, FL
    Then don’t complain

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  6. MarineG8R

Nov 19, 2014
    LMAO. This

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. ufmc84

ufmc84 Senior

Aug 13, 2017
    Lots of hand wringing on this subject. NIL is like ticket sales. Give the fans a reason to purchase/contribute. Until they believe in the coaching staff the fans aren’t going to throw good money at a bad investment. A&M couldn’t spend their way to success with Jimbo and that’s enough of an example for people to hold onto their finances until they see something on the field worth throwing their money behind. We’ve spent the last 14 years learning that talent cannot overcome mediocre coaching.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Claygator

Claygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    According to that article, we are top ten already. Although I doubt they really have any idea who has what.

Many of us don't trust the current NIL system. The UT lawsuit that resulted in entry of a preliminary injunction really confuses me. All the NCAA had done was issue a letter to UT of their investigation. They hadn't made any findings or imposed any penalties. So are the courts saying that the NCAA has no right to even conduct investigations? Please.

But, from the talk from the NCAA they aren't going to appeal. Bizarre.

What are the rules, what does it all mean? No one knows. I won't be chipping in to NIL as a result.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. MarineG8R

Nov 19, 2014
    I think UF NIL is doing fine considering the losing records. Napier starts winning then I think the numbers will improve. I have no issue with anyone that chooses not to contribute.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. doctorg8r

doctorg8r GC Hall of Fame

Dec 11, 2018
    This article makes someone look like not the sharpest tool in the shed. An article explaining the issue for the ignoramuses would be helpful. I'm not sure many of us buy the excuses for the elephant. Clearly, Ohio State, Tennessee, etc, have it figured out and are way ahead; and we are way behind. And more than a few want to blame the HBC! A prospect was lost last year over the elephant, and several were lost in year two. I don't see BN as the major problem in recruiting. Heck, I can't fault the wizard behind the curtain either! God knows, I don't want the job! Its just hard to watch and get excited about uniform colors. Do you know what I mean, Vern?

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. swampbabe

Apr 8, 2007
    Viera, FL
    Again, Gator fans don’t/can’t contribute. That’s the bottomline at this point.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    Spurrier believes it will eventually settle in as a "salary-cap" for every team when it comes to NIL / Transfer Portal / Players currently on the team.

Of course WHO will regulate and monitor that? And of course won't the same corruption issues exist with a salary cap? I mean whats to prevent Joe Booster
    from handing out the ole "BAGS" again, over and above (a little something extra) the Cap?

LOL, the more things change the more they stay the same.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. paidinfull

paidinfull GC Hall of Fame

Feb 22, 2017
    If Spurrier said that, he obviously has no grasp of what’s going on in todays game. There are no salaries, and thus can be no salary cap. The third party money won’t be capped even if salaries are established.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. MarineG8R

Nov 19, 2014
    I'm starting not to care anymore. I hope UF makes it out of the cellar and starts competing like we all won't, but I'm not going to stress about it much more.

I've lost that love and feeling.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  15. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    I am fast approaching the same attitude.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Exactly right. Genie is out of the bottle in many ways......a "salary cap" still would not stop NIL. Every pro sports league has a salary cap, doesn't stop MJ from selling Air Jordans or any other athlete from tons of off field revenue opportunities. The supreme court will never take away a person's right to earn, so NIL is here to stay.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Yep, no one is even trying to stop pay-for-play...

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    There’s always those people who think they’re the smartest person in the room,

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Nil doesn’t supersede contracts in all other leagues though. The public only pays legit nil when it can’t buy players.

20. paidinfull

paidinfull GC Hall of Fame

Feb 22, 2017
    Which other leagues had third party systems setup to directly pay players before they even established their own payrolls?

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.