Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Discussion in 'Gator Bytes' started by GatorFan89, Nov 4, 2011.

1. Crono139

Crono139 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +98
    I killed the first chicken that I saw when I got to Whiterun but no one said anything.

When I returned to Riverwood and killed the first chicken that I saw once again, a bounty was put on my head.
  2. GatorFan89

GatorFan89 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +9
    No wonder they have bounties for them, everyone out there is trying to mass murder the damn chickens... :grin:

I've played for like 8 hours and I still haven't seen a dragon, do you have to start going through the main quest before they appear? I always do the main quest last, I'm doing the Companions right now, then Winterhold and then the Imperial Army and in between all of that probably lots of exploring, so it's safe to say I won't touch the main quest for a while. And can you still learn dragon shouts without starting the main quest, because that'd be pretty gay if I found a word for a shout and couldn't unlock the word until the quest starts.

Also, fought some vampers. Use fire on vampires, if you have a decent level destruction ability you should walk right through them, it's a huge weakness so even if they're leveled higher than you, just bring lots of magic restore potions and lay waste to them with fire. I try not to get close to them personally, cuz I'm thinking it's like Oblivion where a vamp can stab you and infect you with vampirism.

I also stumbled into some shrine for some ghost dude, I found him at the end and he handed me my ass like it was nothing, definitely the toughest thing I've fought so far. I had to leave and come back later, because he'd summon more ghosts and him alone was hard enough. Also, ghosts take damage from physical weapons, unlike Morrowind and Oblivion, so you can hit them with swords or whatever and they'll take damage.
  3. Ericgraves

Ericgraves New Member

Ratings Received:
    +3
    Yes must do main quest. You can't fight them solo until your level 15 or so. So yes main quest, but yeah have killed a few now. They really add to your power. Dragon shouts are amazing.
  4. GatorFan89

GatorFan89 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +9
    I did find out you can learn the shout words without doing the main quest, I was in a dungeon for a mission for the Companions and there was a dragon shout word on the wall and I learned it.

I also saw my first werewolf, I didn't fight it but I got locked in a room and the guy I was with got surrounded by like 5 dudes and the guy turned into a werewolf and slaughtered them without even trying. I'm level 11 now or 10, don't remember.

How often do the dragons appear? I kind of figured after a while it might have to be the main quest, cuz I've been walking around in the open tundra a lot and never got to fight one.

This game is huge though, I haven't wandered too far from Whiterun yet, I've played probably like 9 hours or so in-game, I'm a level 11 and I still have 3/4 of the map I haven't even seen yet... Ridiculous. Most of my levelling though is from training, usually when I get around 1000 gold I'll go up someone who can train a skill and train until I hit the next level.

Plus I found those big stones that gives you blessings and I got the Warrior one so my fighting skills all go up 20% faster I think
  5. Ericgraves

Ericgraves New Member

Ratings Received:
    +3
    You can learn them yes. But in order to use and unlock new ones you need to kill dragons which start after dragons appear.

Dragons appear maybe once every two hours. And you shouldn't post spoilers on the companions quest line. I could tell you what happens with them but I don't because I don't want to spoil it.
  6. Ericgraves

Ericgraves New Member

Ratings Received:
    +3
    And I can confirm they wait for you outside dungeons. Every encounter is a terror filled run to anyone that can divert its attack away from me.
  7. Crono139

Crono139 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +98
    I need a house already.

Sven and I can only carry so much.
  8. Ericgraves

Ericgraves New Member

Ratings Received:
    +3
    Yeah, bought one and couldn't find it.

If you buy at whiterun or whatever it is called it is the first house past the blacksmith that you see directly upon entering.

Its amazing how quickly books, potions and dragon scales/bones add up.
  9. GatorFan89

GatorFan89 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +9
    My playtime is 7 hours and 30 minutes, I thought I've played it a lot more... Guess not. I'm level 12 now. Been exploring some more, I pretty much covered 3/4 of the tundra located outside of Whiterun, still have 3/4 of the map left to explore... The northern and southern regions around the Whiterun tundra and then the whole other side of the map.

I won't buy a house for a while, I probably don't even have enough gold, since my gold mainly just goes to training for levelling up. I usually don't even buy anything from the weapon sellers I just sell stuff I've found on bodies and in dungeons. As for weapons I usually just keep one that I find while searching dungeons and I stick with it. I've been using an Orcish sword/Orcish Greatsword for a while. I'm eager to see Ebony and Daedric weapons, but probably won't for a while.

The way the weapons are appearing with levelling, there is still Elven, Glass, Dwarven, Ebony and Daedric. Daedric probably won't even appear till the 30s at the way it's going.

The amount of unique weapons is awesome, though, the variety rivals Morrowind. I saw some of the bad hunter guys that have like homemade swords/bows/axes and stuff, they're pretty cool. The sword is a stick with like sharp stones all over it, and the axe, which is really sweet is a large branch with sabretooth cat teeth on the top of it.
  10. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +407
    I'm unsubscribing from this thread until I can get into this game some. Glad you all are enjoying it I just don't want to read too much more about it. Uncharted 3 is awesome and I don't want to just rush it out of anticipation for Skyrim. And there is a lot of shiny treasure to collect.
  11. Ericgraves

Ericgraves New Member

Ratings Received:
    +3
    You might want to refrain from jumping your level. Enemies still scale.
  12. bakaduin

bakaduin Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +1,073
    Yall are badly making me want to play this game but unfortunately there are not any reasonable rental options in Gainesville and I don't want to shell out the money to buy it.
  13. Ericgraves

Ericgraves New Member

Ratings Received:
    +3
    With the level of moral ambiguity in this game I am glad there is no karma system.

Its weird you can only do things which seem morally correct and next thing you know, you are a daedric loving werewolf. Happened to me.
  14. GatorFan89

GatorFan89 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +9
    Lol. They're not scaling too much, I've been going into caves and disposing of bandits like they're nothing. All of the things from the beginning that I saw that gave me a hard time get put on their ass real fast.

This game seems a lot more like Morrowind to me, except better. I'm still getting use to the fact I can't go some places because I will get slaughtered, like in Morrowind. In Oblivion I could fight just about anything with ease at level 14. In Skyrim, just like in Morrowind, there are still creatures that will hand me my ass right now. I got to the top of a peak and found a Dragon shout wall, only to turn around and be greeted by some friendly frost trolls, who proceeded to hand me my level 13 ass. Those things are tough, especially considering most of my level up increases have been applied to my health bar. At 14 in Oblivion I would have handled those bastards easy. But that's what I love about this game.

Also, here's a tip. If you're having trouble with a high level character in a fight, use a claymore if you have a high two handed skill. They will block A LOT, and by a lot I mean they will stand there and won't make much effort to stab or hit you, instead they'll block. I was having trouble with a Bandit Chieftain, so I ran out of the cave, regained my health, went back in and beat his ass to death with a claymore. The dude was in block mode the entire time. He did not once try to hit me, so I got kind of lucky. But if you start swinging a claymore, they will be more worried about blocking it than trying to hit you back, so just a tip. This is really only useful on people, animals obviously won't block and the undead don't do it either.
  15. Swamp_of_Gators

Swamp_of_Gators Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +980
    So I got the game on the midnight release, and my freakin' girlfriend is further along into the game than I am....
  16. Ericgraves

Ericgraves New Member

Ratings Received:
    +3
    Is this good or bad?
  17. chrisleakfan4life

chrisleakfan4life Gator Highlights

Ratings Received:
    +17
    Rented this game as i cannot pick it up until Tuesday for $$$$ reasons.

Great game, i was never into Elder Scrolls but this game is amazing.

Any guides for finding side quests or earning money???
  18. Swamp_of_Gators

Swamp_of_Gators Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +980
    Well, I meant, I'd like to play eventually.. lol
  19. GatorFan89

GatorFan89 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +9
    I didn't think I'd find myself saying this, but I am. Skyrim is better than Morrowind, it is one of if not the best game I have ever played, period.

Morrowind was top 3 for me, all time. Skyrim might be #1. I can't think of a game where I've been this hooked and have enjoyed this much. I have 8 hours of in game time, in most games I'd have beaten the game already. In Skyrim, I haven't even began to scratch the surface. Total, I've played maybe two quests in total, both for the Companions.

I usually wander around to see if there's anything interesting, and what will happen is I'll be focused on going somewhere, when I'll come by a dungeon/cave or something and be like "well I gotta check this place out."
  20. Ericgraves

Ericgraves New Member

Ratings Received:
    +3
    There are an infinite number of quests. I am not exaggerating. The game randomly creates many of the quests based on your style of play.