Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Discussion in 'Gator Bytes' started by GatorFan89, Nov 4, 2011.

1. GatorFan89

GatorFan89 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +9
    I'm just getting the standard edition, but I can't wait. Man, I've never been a fan of RPGS aside from Deus Ex, Mass Effect, Fallout and Elder Scrolls, but Elder Scrolls is the first RPG I ever played. It's always been one of my favorite series and I can't believe we get the fifth one in a day!

Hearing that it's polished well makes me happy, and it will probably exceed the hype for me.

I've heard not only is the main questline like Morrowind's, where you're preparing to fight Alduin, but also the game as a whole is more like Morrowind. Tons of weapons and armor. Plus, they said the levelling system is more like Morrowinds, but not as brutal, it is more in line with Fallout's system.

This may be my most anticipated game this year. Battlefield 3 is the best mutliplayer game for me, but the best single player game comes out on 11-11-11 and that is Skyrim.
  2. Swamp_of_Gators

Swamp_of_Gators Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +972
    I've actually never played any of the elder scrolls games. However, after looking at some videos and trailers of Skyrim, I'm intrigued.

What I want know is, are all the games linked? If I want to play Skyrim, should I go out and play all the other Elder Scrolls games first, or are all the games independent (like most final fantasy games)? Or will Skyrim provide enough of a back story that I wouldn't really need to play the others?
  3. Ericgraves

Ericgraves New Member

Ratings Received:
    +3
    That venture would take a few months.

They are in the same universe but the storyline aren't connected. There will be many books in the world which will contain information about past games. So you will be able to enjoy it solo.
  4. GatorFan89

GatorFan89 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +9
    @Swamp, pretty much what Eric said.

None of the stories are connected, but just for the hell of it I'd recommend playing Oblivion, after you're done with Skyrim. Oblivion was and still is an awesome game, and so is Morrowind for that matter, but Morrowind is old so I'm not sure how you'd feel about it.
  5. Ericgraves

Ericgraves New Member

Ratings Received:
    +3
    Morrowind has received a fan based hd update and many unofficial patches which don't add content but improve the core experience. I am not one to like game mods, but for once I don't think they detract from the game.

But skyrim should be the definitive elder scrolls.
  6. GatorFan89

GatorFan89 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +9
    Definitely. I actually have been playing Morrowind with the graphics update mod, it definitely makes the game feel fresh and in terms of graphics I'd say I have it tweaked to look better than Oblivion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2r6hilB6Dlc

That is what I am using, although it actually looks a little better for me because I have an extremely powerful PC so I can raise some of the stuff a lot higher beyond what their recommended settings are.
  7. Crono139

Crono139 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +95
  8. GatorFan89

GatorFan89 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +9
  9. Sir_Gibby

Sir_Gibby New Member

Ratings Received:
    +27
    Less than 16 hours!
  10. Ericgraves

Ericgraves New Member

Ratings Received:
    +3
    1 day. Because of amazon release day shipping.

200 page art book. I can't wait. Probably will play it for 24 straight. Take my time and still beat the game by Monday.
  11. yarmond1

yarmond1 Member

Ratings Received:
    +1
    Why would you want to race to beat this game? I bought the goty edition of Oblivion (3 yr ago?) and I actually just completely finished it 2 months ago. I didn't play it everyday and did take long breaks from it but I still had almost 200 hrs play time. I love wandering around and finding different people, camps or caves. You never know what new quests can be found and where they will lead you.

I am having a hard time deciding what or how I want to play. In Oblivion I was sword and board with a bit of restoration and destruction. This time I would like to go pure magic user or maybe hand to hand. Have any of you played in these styles and if so how was it? How are you guys planning on building your character? Man, can't wait to pick it up tonight!!!
  12. Ericgraves

Ericgraves New Member

Ratings Received:
    +3
    Ok reviews are coming in. Metacritic lists the 360 version at a 95 with 24 reviews. Which means batman arkham city has a serious rival for goty. I know my life will be saved digitally this weekend.
  13. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +401
    Are there any head to heads out there between PS3 and 360?

I am kinda concerned that there are so many more 360 reviews than PS3 and at least on metacritic. The reviews that do appear under PS3 are also under 360. IGN says they were not sent an advance copy at all, was anyone?
  14. jcp

jcp VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +891
    Tomorrow can't come soon enough.

I will be playing the 360 version.
  15. GatorFan89

GatorFan89 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +9
    Usually multiplatform games are better on the 360, because they use it as the main console for development. This is the same with Skyrim, 360 was the lead console, so you'd probably be best off getting it on Xbox.
  16. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +401
    Yeah only problem is my xbox is in a storage unit in Washington DC and I am in Las Vegas.

I am honestly debating just getting a new XBOX with Skyrim. I have a bunch of games I can trade in and I think they are offering a $60 gift card with a system purchase.

I was really hoping to read some reviews today and maybe a head to head comparison to see if I wanted to do that or if I was being ridiculous.
  17. Ericgraves

Ericgraves New Member

Ratings Received:
    +3
    By all reports the 360 version is the best (even vs pc).

Add to that the "vast" amount of dlc will be xbox exclusive for a month before going to other consoles. If you have a choice, and don't care about the mod community, then get the 360 version.

The playstation 3 version was a 91 on meta critic last I checked.
  18. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +401
    Couldn't just tell me that the ps3 version will be fine and there is nothing to worry about?

My Xbox is pretty old and getting a new one is cheaper than going to get my old one. And this is how we begin to justify wants over needs.
  19. Ericgraves

Ericgraves New Member

Ratings Received:
    +3
    The ps3 version will be a great game. Arguing over console is splitting hairs, should be used as a tie breaker nothing more. More reviews are coming in for the ps3 I expect all scores to be equal end of day.
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Ericgraves

Ericgraves New Member

Ratings Received:
    +3
    Really sorry if I gave the impression that console was a big deal. Probably biased by the fact my console of choice is the winner at the moment.

Really does not matter. If you favor the ps3 get the ps3. I bought the game for two of my friends who had both had xboxes but they prefer pc games, so I got them the pc version. That shows how strongly I feel about console differences.