Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Discussion in 'Gator Bytes' started by GatorFan89, Nov 4, 2011.

1. GatorFan89

GatorFan89 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    • Like Like x 1
  2. yarmond1

yarmond1 Member

Ratings Received:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    4 days. I think Oblivion is the best game I have ever played. I fully expect Skyrim to top that!!
  3. GatorFan89

GatorFan89 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    Yep! I expect it to top Oblivion, Oblivion was awesome, Morrowind was my favorite so if it can top Morrowind, it will be easily one of my top 3 games ever. I fully expect it to.
  4. chrisleakfan4life

chrisleakfan4life Gator Highlights

Ratings Received:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    Ive pre-ordered Skyrim and ill give it a shot. Didnt get that far in Oblivion.

Sent from my iPhone using GatorCountry
  5. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +320 / 0 / -0
    I cant wait for Skyrim but I am so torn on whether or not to get it right away.

I am just about finished with Arkham but I have Uncharted sitting unopened in my room. I think I will pick up Skyrim and wait til I finish Uncharted before I get started. I know once I do it will be a while before I play something else.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. GatorFan89

GatorFan89 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    Yeah same here. I probably won't touch BF3 once I have Skyrim, then the Tuesday after Skyrim, Saints Row 3 comes out and I will get it and probably not touch it until I beat Skyrim.

Also, did you see Leaf, the main quest in Skyrim is supposedly around 30 hours long!? That's awesome, considering it's the last thing I do because I usually do guild quests first.

Also, what race do you usually play as?
  7. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +320 / 0 / -0
    Oblivion was my entry into the series and I played through that as an imperial and a dark elf.

With a 30 hour main quest alone how long will it take to finish the standard game? Not to mention inevitable dlc.
  8. GatorFan89

GatorFan89 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    Damn, that's a good question man. I figure you get probably 10-15 hours per guild questline if you take your time on them. There's like 10 guilds total I think, but you can only play like 5-7 of them, as for joinable ones, there's the Dark Brotherhood, Thieves Guild, Winterhold (Mages Guild), Imperial Legion, the Companions (Fighter's Guild) and a couple that I don't remember. There are some that you can't join like Necromancers, Daedric Worship and like one or two more.

So you figure there's only five, that's 50 hours for guilds if you do all of them, plus the main story which would make it around 80. I usually do like the Fighter's Guild, the Imperial Legion and I might do the Mage/Winterhold guild, I usually don't do Mage stuff cuz I never use magic except for Destruction once in a while, I like my swords and shields.

Also, vampirism is back and... WEREWOLVES! The weres look badass too, I saw a video of one. They're the big f**king hybrid human ones, and you can become one, too. They're tall and really built, in the video a guy turned into a werewolf and slaughtered a bunch of people.

Also, I guess the werewolf transformations aren't forced, either. So if you catch the Lycanthropy disease you don't get forced into turning into one at night, instead you just change at will when you want to.
  9. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +320 / 0 / -0
    Ill easily play 100 hours. I can see myself doing all the guilds and assorted other stuff. I did the vamp thing on oblivion and actually had a good time with it. Not much of a magic user either I like getting into a brawl so I rarely use any distance attacks.
  10. Ericgraves

Ericgraves New Member

Ratings Received:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Ummm you are getting some bad info. Skyrims and oblivions main storyline can be finished in under 5 hours. Oblivions main storyline was actually very easy to do in 5 hours.

This game will be amazing. Unfortunately because they have changed the leveling system it is more accessible which I don't agree with. Controlled leveling was a labor of love and it easily added 200% to the game time. But I truly loved the game.

I will be getting the collectors edition. Would rather have a 200 page artbook of elder scrolls than any other game out there. And yes 360 for me, but the 360 was the primary development and is getting dlc early. Just thought people would like to know.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. GatorFan89

GatorFan89 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    Maybe if you speed run it, most people take their time. It took me probably 20 hours to complete Oblivion's storyline, I played through it over a month. I had over 50 hours in the game though over a two month period, the first 30 were getting to level 20 and doing some of the guilds/exploring and the other 20 were the main quest.

It'll probably take me around 25-30 to get through Skyrim's main quest, but that's after I do all my exploring/levelling/guilds stuff.

I am disappointed that none of the houses exhist anymore and Bethesda hasn't brought the concept back, in Morrowind they had the Great Houses: Hlaalu, Redoran and Telvanni that you could join, which basically served as political parties in the province. They had some really fun quests.

@Leaf, I never played as a vampire in any of them. I did get turned into a werewolf in Morrowind, but I caught the vamp disease in Oblivion but did the quest to cure it because I didn't want to be stuck as one, because weren't you stuck as a vamp after a certain amount of time passes?
  12. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +320 / 0 / -0
    Trying to remember but I think I was eventually able to cure it after playing that way format while.

Would rather get the game for 360 but mine is in storage in DC so I think it'll be ps3 for me.
  13. GatorFan89

GatorFan89 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    I do agree there. Morrowind was my favorite Elder Scrolls game and besides all of the stuff in that game, one of the things that was so cool is the levelling system, because enemies did not level up with you in Morrowind, all of the enemies were a certain level. So you HAD to take your time and level up before you could do the main quest. Most of the guilds you could get done pretty easily if you were between 10-15, but there was no way you were going to get through the main quest with a character under level 25.

I just started replaying Morrowind and my character is at level 14 and there are still a ton of places I can't go because I will get my ass absolutely handed to me. I was playing on Sunday with my Lvl 14 person and I stumbled into a Daedric Ruin and there was a Daedroth in there (the big alligator things) and he whooped my ass in under 10 seconds.

I think the werewolves in Morrowind are all in the high 20s, more powerful ones being in the low 30s, so you can't even fight a werewolf until you're over level 30 unless you are a magic-based class and can stay back and throw fireballs at them because they dish out the damage if you try to brawl.

But to complete the main quest you have to have a very high level character because in the final battle Dagoth Ur deals out damage like it's nothing, provided you can't even kill him because he's immortal until you destroy the Heart of Lorkhan to remove his invulnerability and even then, his magic attacks are still devastating.
  14. Ericgraves

Ericgraves New Member

Ratings Received:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    The houses are integral to the history of morrowind and are the ruling families of the dark elves. It would not have made sense for them to be in oblivion in any major capacity. The empires home was tamriel. They took over morrowind and pushed out the great houses.
  15. Ericgraves

Ericgraves New Member

Ratings Received:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    And I was more referencing the length of the main quest. And not speed runs you can just play the main quest line and beat it in 5 hours. But just wanted to point out main quest is actually extremely short.

Taking your time means doing side quests which shouldn't count towards the length of the main quest.
  16. GatorFan89

GatorFan89 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    I just hope for them to flesh out Alduin, the main dragon. I'm sure they will because he is supposed to be integral to the story. The problem I had with Oblivion's main quest was that they never said anything about Mehrunes Dagon, who was the main bad guy. He was supposedly the big badass Daedric Lord of Destruction and when you finally see him at the end it's just like whatever. Because you don't learn much about him, except he's a Daedric Prince and he's powerful. Plus the final battle was so anticlimactic. Dagon comes out and then Septim turns into a fire dragon and bites him in the neck. Lol.

They did it right in Morrowind, with Dagoth Ur. You never got to meet Dagoth until the end of the game, but they fleshed him out SO MUCH through the game. They gave you backstory on him, why he is the way he is and they hyped him up so much to be this powerful Demi-God, which he was. So as you'd get further into the game you were getting more and more eager to meet Dagoth Ur.

And when you did finally meet him it was nothing short of amazing not to mention one of the most badass boss fights ever. You vs. Dagoth Ur inside of a volcano? Hell yes!
  17. Sir_Gibby

Sir_Gibby New Member

Ratings Received:
    +28 / 0 / -0
  18. GatorFan89

GatorFan89 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    That's 2.5 days too long :no:
  19. Potzer01

Potzer01 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +133 / 4 / -2
    34 hours?
  20. Ericgraves

Ericgraves New Member

Ratings Received:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Actually it is pretty crazy to fight Mehrunes Dagon. Mehrunes was not only in Oblivion but is talked about in morrowind and daggerfall. You should read the books lying around more, one book paints him as the god of rape even. In comparison Dagoth Ur was once a mortal.

Furthermore it is actually possible to kill Mehrunes yourself. Especially if you have done one particular daedric prince quest.

But morrowind did have a better build up to the end battle but I believe that mainly to be due to level design. You were always circling this big mountain, without progressing through the main quest you didn't have much chance in there. Everything you did in the main quest of morrowind was because of Dagoth, in Oblivion it is all because of Mehrunes but you don't have the bad guys reminding you every ten seconds.

The game designers wanted the main quest in Oblivion to be more like a buffet, meaning take as little or as much as you want. I believe they are going back to a morrowind approach for Skyrim but not 100% sure.

Also people who obtained the game early have said it is one of the most polished titles bethesda has released and that it is going to live up to its hype for the people who already love it. So the only question is: Who else is getting the frigging dragon statue edition?!?!?!