Egyptian military to free Mubarek

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by MichiGator2002, Aug 19, 2013.

1. MichiGator2002

MichiGator2002 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,394
    I can't help but laugh a bit at this development. They are not preventing his retrial, but he will no longer be detained. Whether this will mean he is spirited out of the country or not before that can happen, I don't know. But it sure will work the MB up into a renewed tizzy for the Egyptians to play whackamole with (isn't that something that is done in other forms of pest control?). I suspect it will work others into a tizzy as well.
  2. orangeblueorangeblue

orangeblueorangeblue Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,878
    Villains becoming heroes and vice versa is no real surprise as it comes to U.S. foreign policy.
  3. CHFG8R

CHFG8R Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,390
    I think the "others" at this point could care less. They want normalcy. They want their economy (see: tourist) back. They don't want to be an isolated backwater like Iran. And they had the sense to see what was coming with the MB Nazis.

Funny, I've always said that hubris is the greatest hope for those not in power and the MB proved this in spades. For all their patience in the decades leading up to the Arab Spring, presumably the moment they were preparing for, they piss it all away by grossly overreaching on just about every issue.

As I hear it now, even if elections were held today in Egypt, they wouldn't stand a chance. They are more hated now than Mubarak ever was. This is why few if any outside their "base" gives a chit that they army is gunning them down. Hell, in some cases, the local residents are throwing stones or firing on them themselves.

Karma's a wonderful thing, wouldn't you agree?
    • Like Like x 1
  4. MichiGator2002

MichiGator2002 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,394
    I wasn't talking about other Egyptians, actually. Mostly cloistered western leftists.

I don't trust Egypt's military long term, but they are a better option right now while they tear out the jihadist fundie element from their society root and branch, or at least force it into submission to civil order.
  5. CHFG8R

CHFG8R Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,390
    I trust them more than any other in that region. I think what many people miss is that Egypt is unlike most of its Arab neighbors.

1. There is a greater sense of their history. . . pre Muhammed. . . and a sense of pride in that history.
    2. See above. I don't have the numbers, but I assume Egypt is much like Florida economically in that tourism is a huge portion of that. My guess is logistics (Suez) and Agriculture are the other two. Not sure about oil, but I think that is not nearly as large a part of the equation in Egypt as it is in the rest of the ME.

Now, in order to have a successful tourist economy, one has to be inviting to outsiders. Nothing the MB brought to the table was going to do that. And I think that realization became more and more clear to the Military and the majority of the population as Hitler. . . er, Morsi took his red pen to their constitution.

To me, this is an exciting development, a chance to actually turn the tide of Islamic fundamentalism in a way that makes sense and by a people speaking from the wallet as opposed to ideology.

Anyway, it seems I care more about the happenings over there than my fellow citizen.

P.S. If it had to take a guess, I suspect Morsi and his Nazi MB counterparts actually hate the Pyramids and would tear them down for not being inspired by Islam.
  6. Gatormb

Gatormb Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +905
    I may have to change my screen name.:dead:
  7. wargunfan

wargunfan Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +189
    Mubarek was our guy for many years and now we can see in Technicolor why he kept the MB under foot. As Richard Nixon once said: He may be a bastard but he's our bastard. Which is a lot more practical foreign policy than Obama's misbegotten idealism.
  8. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,647
    He might be a "villain" if you think killing terrorists involved with the Muslim Brotherhood terror organization is a bad thing.

I think he's more of a hero than a "villain" for his part in keeping the killers at bay. And keeping the peace in his country for a few decades.
  9. wargunfan

Ratings Received:
    +189
    Let's decide whether we would rather have the thirty years of peace under Mubarek or what we would have had under the MB. They were in the process of setting up a radical Islamist state and the Egyptian people said Hell No! The military responded an now we have chaos and possibly a civil war. I'll take Mubarek any day.
  10. CHFG8R

CHFG8R Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,390

Certainly this was the tipping point for the majority of folks in Egypt and the Military. Egypt had status and now these guys are pissing it away. I'm bouyed by the fact the Egyptians had the wherewithall to make this happen. Usually, it just keeps going further and further down the toilet in this scenario.

Will have to disagree somewhat with the "chaos" part, though. Saw clips of "demonstrations" yesterday and there were literally "dozens" of people there. :grin:

This despite calls from MB for more protests.
  11. wargunfan

Ratings Received:
    +189
    I would like to see the MB labeled for the radical anti democracy Islamists that they are. The military should allow elections asap with the MB barred as a terrorist group. Ideal outcome: a stable democratic Egypt with a government which honors their constitution.
  12. CHFG8R

CHFG8R Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,390
    Amen. And maybe it will provide a spark for someone else (Iran?). Especially if Egypt succeeds economically, which means bringing back the tourists and most important, an environment that makes them want to come back.
  13. wargunfan

Ratings Received:
    +189
    Amen to all of the above. I haven't visited the pyramids yet and want to before I shuffle off.

When the Iranian people rise up again should we help to destabilize the theocracy or sit back and watch. Caution: this is a test. :grin:
  14. CHFG8R

CHFG8R Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,390
    There are always backchannels to support the cause without openly supporting the cause.
  15. wargunfan

Ratings Received:
    +189
    There are lots of idealists who say: Don't interfere in the affairs of another sovereign nation. Sounds nice. But the Iranian people have suffered under these radical theocrats far too long. They long for freedom and justice. Shame on us for standing idly by while they die in the streets for wanting what we take for granted. Sometimes the end truly does justify the means.
  16. leogator

leogator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +161
    The Iranian people have done chyte compared to the Egyptians. When the do we will support them. But in order for the tree of freedom to truly blossom it will have to be watered with their blood, not ours.
  17. wargunfan

Ratings Received:
    +189
    Egypt does not have a police state to compare with Iran. Nor does it have anything to compare with the Republican Guard. There are far more Iranians rotting in prison than in Egypt. Iran is a modern police state using the latest police methods, such as facial recognition software, phone and internet monitoring. It is a locked down country with almost total control of its population. I don't fault the Iranian people for being intimidated into silence by a ruthless theocracy. They are going to need outside help. Who has the will and wherewithal to bring this off? You know who.
  18. HallGator

HallGator Administrator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,728
    Sure we can support the Iranians. Verbally. Other than that we need to stay out of it.
  19. CHFG8R

CHFG8R Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,390
    Actually, you got it backwards.
  20. HallGator

HallGator Administrator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,728
    How's that?