Edward Snowden Flees to Moscow

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by Spurffelbow833, Jun 23, 2013.

1. DaveFla

DaveFla Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +979

Well said...
  2. gatorev12

gatorev12 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,365
    Of course not...they'd prosecute him and it's very likely he'd get some prison time.

Plenty of people don't blink in the face of such things though because of their principles. Mandela is one...MLK another. Gandhi. Many others could be put forward.

This guy came out and said "I'm not scared of going to jail to do the right thing." But apparently, that wasn't exactly true. I don't fault him for that...it's a very human reaction. What I do fault him for is his continued questionable actions and choice of people to turn to.
  3. Spurffelbow833

Spurffelbow833 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,512
    He'd be found hanged in his cell with nothing turned over on the floor beneath him.
  4. BLING

BLING Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +89
    +1.

The fact that he is "on the run" clearly shows he didn't think this thing through fully. Russia? China? You have to be pretty hardcore anti U.S. government to blindly support these actions he's taking now. Even though these countries are certainly not "enemies", they are undoubtedly the biggest threats in terms of espionage and data leaks. Never-mind their far more questionable human rights records. If he was truly concerned about these issues, these are not the places to go to. :sick:

Guy is now 100% traitor in my book. Coward + hypocrite.
  5. rpmGator

rpmGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +574
    Country's with nuke's pointed at us are a lot more worry than any internal problem we may have here. Helping them is way more dangerous than any privacy concerns you may have...unless you are also are up to something.
  6. Spurffelbow833

Spurffelbow833 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,512
    He is seeing the unforeseen consequences of his actions. There is no place on earth to go with this without dancing with another devil as bad or worse than the one he skipped out on.
  7. rpmGator

Ratings Received:
    +574
    You can't even get into your hotel without a pass. The level of government there is ten fold more than what we have here.

It is like burning a finger on a candle and moving to hell to get away from than god awful candle.
  8. BLING

BLING Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +89
    Except they were not unforeseen. His own quote "The U.S. government is not going to be able cover this up by jailing or murdering me". So in his own mind, he already believed that not only would he have to face legal consequences... but that he would be target for assassination (which is complete nonsense, unless the guy suddenly decided to join the Taliban).

If he wasn't a hypocrite and a coward, he would have faced the LEGAL consequences and allowed the debate to continue in the public eye. Instead he runs off to China and Russia (LOL) and claims all the BS about being assassinated.

He just comes off as incredibly disingenuous to me, especially with some of the stuff that has nothing at all to do with NSA surveillance (his leaks about actual spying activities, not on U.S. civilians). If he's simply worried about U.S. constituional rights, why release those specific documents that have nothing at all to do with U.S. citizens or our rights? Basically, he's a wannabee Julian Assange.
  9. vaxcardinal

vaxcardinal Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +670
    who says they do that? and if they did then how did he get the data. there's never been a claim that he stole a laptop.
  10. leogator

leogator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +66
    I have no idea what the security procedures are at Booz Allen, but when I had a security clearance, in the secure areas, they would epoxy the USB ports, disable them in software, disable the internet, take out CD\DVD drives and you had the home directories on the server. No cameras or cameraphones. No bags of any kind (backpacks, etc.) in the secure area. Complete lockdown of the computer network.
  11. DieAGator

DieAGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +981
    Is there any indication he might have transferred a mother-load of crucial information that really puts us at risk? I'm not familiar with the level and depth he had access to but I really hope he didn't hurt us too badly.
  12. jagervol01

jagervol01 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +10
    The people insinuating that Snowden would be assassinated if he had remained in the US are too jaded. If the US was ever going to execute someone again for treason/espionage it would have been John Walker in 1985, who was apprehended after being turned in by his ex-wife after having helped the Soviets decipher more than a million encrypted Naval messages for 17 years during the height of the cold war. Snowden is a pissant compared to the damage that caused. Walker may be rotting in jail but he is still alive. Had Snowden not run he would have been given a chance to present a case for his actions with a capable defense team. No other country would give him that.
  13. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,345
    What information did Snowden have in comparison?
    • Like Like x 1
  14. rpmGator

Ratings Received:
    +574
    Well in Equador he may get level headed again. Coins balance on their edge better in the center of the earth better there, than anywhere.
  15. gatorman_07732

gatorman_07732 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,018
    I'm not 100% convinced this guy even went to Moscow. It turns out he took the job at Booz Allen with this exact intent, so he had an agenda even before his emloyment.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. g8trjax

g8trjax Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +327
  17. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,357
    Putin confirmed that he is in the transit section of Moscow airport.
  18. CHFG8R

CHFG8R Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,188
    I agree. That Walker wasn't executed for high treason is still, to this day, astounding to me.
  19. gatorman_07732

gatorman_07732 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,018
    Putin pretty much giving the U.S. the slap across the face. I would never believe a word that comes out of his mouth.
  20. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,774
    I don't know if Snowden would be assassinated or not, but it's not an apples and apples comparison with the Walker situation.

Snowden is exposing an illegal/unconstitutional program. People in power over this program have vested interests in seeing it continue, and may perceive themselves as having very real reasons to take extreme measures.

There is no corollary with Walker. No one's power was threatened.