Edward Snowden Flees to Moscow

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by Spurffelbow833, Jun 23, 2013.

1. geauxgator1

geauxgator1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,753
    What are his options, back to the US? He'll be disappeared or dead.
  2. geauxgator1

Ratings Received:
    +2,753
    No proper ways in this country. He stands no chance here. He had to leave.He would have never seen the light of day.
  3. DaveFla

DaveFla VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,020
    I disagree.
  4. geauxgator1

Ratings Received:
    +2,753
    I tend to agree with this post. No clear lines here. We have a criminal government spying illegally on it's own citizens using a kangaroo court to justify its actions.
  5. gatorman_07732

gatorman_07732 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,167
    geaux, he absolutely went about this in the wrong way. Just the way this was handles tells me IMO that this individual was interested in being a renegade much like Julian Assange. This individual had top secret clearance and that's not something you get sucked into, you need to go through great lengths to achieve and hold it, it comes with great responsibilities.
  6. DowntownGator

DowntownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +491
    I know, right!! How stupid of him to be so ironic. He should have definitely went to Iraq or Japan or Germany or any other country we conquered and subdued into groveling submissiveness.

The only irony is that your government is seeking to execute this guy for the alleged crime of whistle blowing in retaliation for being hilariously exposed of committing egregious crimes against its own citizens.

Don't think about that last sentence too much, it will cause irreversible insanity in your cranium.
  7. geauxgator1

Ratings Received:
    +2,753
    No doubt it comes with responsibilty. However, I tend to believe that he saw that this government was violating it's own citizenry and laws, and I don't think he thought he had a chance in hell to make his point otherwise. Frankly I believe he did it for the greater good in his mind, and until I can be shown otherwise, I say he's a hero.
  8. gatorman_07732

gatorman_07732 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,167
    Don't you think we need some irrefutable proof of your claims before you start calling him a hero?
  9. leogator

leogator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +192
    They can't. They epoxy the usb ports and disable the USB ports via software.
  10. gatorplank

gatorplank Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +499
    <script src="http://player.ooyala.com/player.js?embedCode=VrbXFpYzqt6AuHr-3ukzM_JDGBfOfDyq&width=600&deepLinkEmbedCode=VrbXFpYzqt6AuHr-3ukzM_JDGBfOfDyq&video_pcode=9kcm06PtVGNZkFkXR2898mHnBha_&height=337"></script>
  11. leogator

leogator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +192
    They certainly visited radical Muslim web sites outside this country. What you don't think they monitor that?
  12. geauxgator1

Ratings Received:
    +2,753
    I would say you have a good point. We won't know for some time, if truly ever, but based upon what I believe is happening and what his intentions are, I am in his corner.
  13. jagervol01

jagervol01 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +11
    Egregious crimes against it's own citizens is hyperbole...and there is irony in seeking refuge in countries with the history of human rights violations that China and Russia have. The surveillance bothers me as it should anyone but I would still add no country has had more power and abused it less than the US. Robert Hanssen, Aldrich Ames and John Walker would not be in jail in Russia for the crimes they committed here. Their brains would have been blown out.
  14. geauxgator1

Ratings Received:
    +2,753
    No, where's he supposed to go? Our allies all have extradition treaties with us.
  15. geauxgator1

Ratings Received:
    +2,753
  16. gatorev12

gatorev12 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,685
    The more that comes out about the guy and his actions, the more I tend to view it in this manner.

He initially said he didn't care about going to jail or about the character assassination he felt would be directed at him. Which I respected...it made him sincere.

But he goes first to China...then to Russia and Cuba in order to continue to be safe? Clearly then, he *is* scared about going to jail and feels guilt over his actions. Apparently, he isn't the self-righteous person he claims to be. IF he were interested in having an honest and sincere dialogue in the public eye, then come back to the States and get a good lawyer. I'm sure more than a few would volunteer pro bono to represent him.

But that isn't what he's doing...he's going to countries which have decidedly negative views about the US and who do most everything in their power to frustrate, irritate, and harass us. There's nothing patriotic or noble about collaborating with countries that wish--or do--us harm.
  17. geauxgator1

Ratings Received:
    +2,753
    I have to disagree.. You would put your trust in this government to give you a fair trial at this point? It won't happen. Maybe he just wants to live and feels his best chance is elsewhere. I don't have a problem with what he did.
  18. jagervol01

jagervol01 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +11
    That is a reasonable perspective but let's call it what it is. He is not a hero and this wasn't courage. If he wanted to be an instrument of reform and be a true martyr that might be possible through a trial but he is an Assange wannabe and is running scared.
  19. geauxgator1

Ratings Received:
    +2,753
    No doubt he's scared, I would be too. I think his intentions are well placed, but he probably knows what the CIA and NSA are capable of, and where he stands with them. He doesn't have any good options.
  20. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,170
    What I believe to be the case, just putting all of the pieces we know together. He is a high school drop out, a special for forces drop out who now makes sure to tell people how much money he makes, made sure to tell people he was the person who leaked it, made sure to tell more than he had to to protect the American people( the british newspaper that he went to only printed 4 of 41 pages of what he gave then because even they thought it was over the top), made sure to tell us all the righteous reasons he was doing this and then ran to our enemies (or at least not our friends), he also seemingly went out of his way to tell us all that he knew, even those things like our spying on China which hurt the country he professes to love, and then when all of his righteous talk about being willing to go to jail met reality he ran to the very countries his agency was trying to protect the country he supposedly loves from.

If people disagree and want to hold him up as something to be proud of that's up to them, but I just see him as someone who had an overactive sense of his own importance and the more reality hits that vision the more you see the contradictions that demonstrate it.