Edward Snowden Flees to Moscow

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by Spurffelbow833, Jun 23, 2013.

1. Spurffelbow833

Spurffelbow833 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,830
    There will be all manner of unintended consequences for his actions. Don't think Putin is going to let him out of Russia without a meeting of the minds. Our government is reaping what it has sown. They'd better take another look at how they're treating us. This is what happens when liberty is sacrificed for security, just like the old saying goes.

http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/...nowden-on-the-run-again-leaves-hong-kong?lite
  2. DaveFla

DaveFla Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +979
    100% traitor
    0% hero
  3. Spurffelbow833

Ratings Received:
    +1,830
    1) So you think what the government was doing is OK?
    2) What other channels are there for addressing the problem besides ignoring it and getting back to the ball game? They do what they damned well please, they get more powerful every minute, but that's OK.
  4. channingcrowderhungry

channingcrowderhungry Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +842
    Very little is ever that clear cut, including this.
  5. DaveFla

Ratings Received:
    +979
    That's not what I said.

What the government is doing is wrong. What Snowden did was criminal. The information should, without a doubt, have come out. How Snowden chose to make it public was wrong.

H is a traitor and should be held accountable for his actions. As should the government.
  6. AmericaFirst

AmericaFirst Member

Ratings Received:
    +13

The government won't be held accountable. Only way they'll be held accountable is if Obama is impeached. I'll side with Snowden before I side with the scum in our government in both parties.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. DaveFla

Ratings Received:
    +979
    His decision to flee to China, then Russia, then Cuba(?) makes this quite clear. Perhaps not 100% clear, but certainly in the upper 99% range.

There were proper ways to out this information. Snowden's was was NOT the proper way.
  8. Spurffelbow833

Ratings Received:
    +1,830
    What the government did is criminal, as well. Plus they initiated it.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Lawdog88

Lawdog88 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,984

I have no opinion on your last sentence, and wonder how that could have happened ?

What would be the proper ways, Dave ?
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Spurffelbow833

Ratings Received:
    +1,830
    Why, vote in the Republicans, of course!
  11. Lawdog88

Lawdog88 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,984

Why yes, of course. How could I have overlooked that ?

And once in office (had this story never broke of course), the Republicans would have immediately set about to . . . . .. ......... ...........

My question to Dave is sincere, though, because I have no knowledge of how these kinds of activities could have been brought to light. I am indeed a student of this "top secret" stuff.
  12. Notoriousgator

Notoriousgator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +77
    Maybe he can get Robert Krafts Super Bowl ring back and Kraft can pull some strings to get him a pardon? ;)
  13. FlyingGatorII

FlyingGatorII Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +549
    Yep. I have been withholding judgement as I believe the government has abused this type of surveillance, and it should have come out. His running to those that abuse their own citizens, and also want all the secret info they can get on our country, tells me he may have been a plant all along, and perhaps has been passing on classified info to them before this. His jumping may have more to do with about to being caught as a spy and less with human rights then he suggests. Plenty of time in Hong Kong to pass along his info to the Chinese and now 24 hours in Russia to likely do the same. Pure conjecture at this point but if his beef is with governments not treating their citizens fairly he sure chose strange bedfellows. What this really shows you is just how little respect other countries have for the US anymore, when they allow fugitives to flee rather than stop them as asked by our government. Pretty sad for our standing on the world when Hong Kong won't help you out..
  14. GatorAvatar

GatorAvatar New Member

Ratings Received:
    +170
    Putin wants those four laptops and anything they can pry off him.
  15. OB1

OB1 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +37
    Unfortunately, every whistleblower that has come out against the NSA had been prosecuted and jailed(all but 1). This leads on to believe that there are no channels to out this activity without being prosecuted. While I don't think he chose the best allies for safe havens. I also know he was aware of the consequences of his actions and is trying to run from them, where he has chosen to do so has muddied the waters a good bit. I am pretty certain Snowden will end up dead/assassinated by our government sooner than later. This is of his own doing by where he has gone for asylum.

Sent by ANDROID peanut butter fudge using Gator Country
  16. vaxcardinal

vaxcardinal Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +696
    patriot missile could take care of the problem but I think that would be letting him off too easy
  17. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,640
    While I despise the program and have said so repeatedly, Snowden is a self absorbed, self superior idiot with delusions of grandeur.
    He claims he did it for the American people and then reveals info about what we do with China for example. He claims he is willing to go to jail and flees on a trip hats a who's who of countries we have had conflict with.

There are paths for whistleblowers to do it the "right" way, via their congressman, their internal process at NSA, and if he was willing to go to jail as he claimed, someone without desires to be famous would have gone that route.
    Bottom line is that a high school dropout, a special forces dropout with only a small sense of the big picture of what he was working on, one who gave an oath of secrecy and whose actions affected thousands it workers and their jobs should not be the person who decides unilaterally on an issue that affects millions.

Having said all of that, I have little sympathy for the government, you make a security apparatus so large that East Germany would blush, you give top secret clearance to millions and use all of that power to skirt the law and people's personal freedoms, you desire what you get.
  18. leogator

leogator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +158
    What four laptops?
  19. GatorAvatar

GatorAvatar New Member

Ratings Received:
    +170
    Laptops loaded with US government secrets that Snowden smuggled out of the country.
  20. leogator

leogator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +158
    I have no problem with what info the NSA collects. What I have a problem with is how effective it is. How come there were no alarm bells sounded about the Boston bombers? I would have a problem if the info collected was used by the FBI for purely criminal matters that had nothing to do with the national security. Actually, I would like the FBI to focus on purely criminal matters and let the Dept of Homeland security focus on national security matters.