Easy way to calculate Obamacare costs

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by CDG8tor, Feb 10, 2014.

1. CDG8tor

CDG8tor Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +64
    This web site address was listed in this mornings Gainesville Sun. It is an easy and fast way to calculate the cost of a medium-level health insurance plan.

I punched in the Wife and my info and found out that "affordable" insurance for us would be over $1100 per month. lol

What a crock of pig dung.

www.getcoveredamerica.org/calculator
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,806
    It's the biggest extortion/tax ever levied on the American people.
  3. PSGator66

PSGator66 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +912
    For those of us that have to pay it.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. HallGator

HallGator Administrator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,536
    Want to see something weird. I was playing around with the site and trying different things

Person A: Yearly income $9K at age 63. Estimated monthly insurance cost: $558 – $641

Person B: Yearly income $12K at age 62. Estimated monthly insurance cost: $0 – $20

Go figure.
  5. Emmitto

Emmitto VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,045
    That's because under the poverty level for a single-person household there is no subsidy (they qualify for Medicaid, if your state didn't opt out). That level is $11,490. So the person at $12K gets the subsidy, the person at $9K gets Medicaid.
  6. ThePlayer

ThePlayer VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,368
  7. HallGator

Ratings Received:
    +4,536
    I was looking this up for a friend the other day who is fairly well computer illiterate. We live in Florida which opted out of the extended medicaid coverage. Best I could tell was he was going to have to pay almost 90% of his SS for health insurance. What am I missing since he told me they said he didn't qualify for medicaid? His daughter helped him with applying for that.
  8. Emmitto

Emmitto VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,045
    Well, to be blunt, he could very well be scr##ed. The original legislation assumed that a person in his spot would be on Medicaid. But then the SC ruled states could opt out. And so here we are.

Just based on my own situation (my parents are about this age, also in a non-Medicaid state) I would expect cost to start around $400/bronze, $450-500 for silver/gold, a lot more for platinum -- $750? Obviously those are all guesses, you have to enter in your county and my parents are in VA--I have no idea how that compares to FL (I assume you're in FL. Edit: I see you plainly said he's in FL, sorry).

Regardless of your feelings on O-care, I think we can all agree that people in your friend's situation really got hosed. Personally I think they should be added for subsidies. But I suppose that's political suicide.
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2014
  9. shelbygt350

shelbygt350 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +861
    We had a plan we really liked w/ BCBS....it went up over 2X.

All I know is that 0bamakare is a way to transfer money from producers to blood suckers and a way to control the lives of each American. It has -0- to do with providing healthcare.
  10. HallGator

Ratings Received:
    +4,536

What makes it worse is the guy has always worked and put in many years at one place before leaving to take a job at Walmart. He had a sizable hunk of money in his retirement (never asked exactly how much) and they gave it to him. Someone then talked him into investing it into some stocks or something before the crash. He lost almost every penny and although I have never told him I think, from what he has said, he was scammed. He worked at Walmart for a few years but I don't think he is going to get much in the way of retirement from that. He is a great guy who never wasted his money away but he is not very smart when it comes to understanding all of this kind of stuff and is easily taken in at times. His health got bad and he had to retire but it looks like he is in one hell of a predicament until he gets old enough for Medicare which is a couple of years away.
  11. Emmitto

Emmitto VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,045
    Agreed. We were in "just make it to 65" mode not long ago.

My mother is uninsurable (kidney disease) but she turns 65 in March so it looks like we're going to make it. We've been paying cash (no insurance = roughly 40-50% less right off the bat, more if you have an overbearing mother who doesn't mind to talk on the phone for hours at a time--love you Mom!) But even with that we've burnt through her and my stepdad's savings and we're putting a painful dent in mine now. My stepdad also got "lucky", he is now covered through the Federal Black Lung Program, although it doesn't cover everything. He had a quintuple bypass in December and we're still hashing that one out. If it doesn't get covered...well, I don't want to think about it. My parents have been "producers" for 40+ years too. They've lived responsibly and have contributed to society.

Your friend (and my parents) are the types that I don't mind subsidizing. We can all argue about the scope of Medicaid and I'm all for that. There is certainly plenty of waste to cut from any $250B program, especially among the "disabled." But we should cover your friend, IMO.

But don't give up just yet. I was actually pleasantly surprised when I was looking into it for my parents. Those prices were what I found for both of them, roughly. And I'm not saying they're steals. But we were on the road to wiping out three people, including me. Maybe four, as the GF is next. I can afford tens of thousands of dollars per year for just so long. The heart surgery is six figures. O-care didn't fix that, but it would've been better than it was before.

If your friend just needs a pretty standard plan he might get away for $400 or so. I don't know how that compares to his SS, but hopefully he can swing it until 65.

Of course he can roll the dice and do without. But now that I've gotten a really good look inside how health care works, if you lose that bet you're pretty much done.