early signing period.

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by MyakkaGator, Jul 22, 2014.

1. MyakkaGator

MyakkaGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,863
    I get so sick of the whole commitment \ decommitment antics. ..I believe if, there was an early signing period, it would take a lot of the antics out of the process. And why can't this be done? What say you?
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. gatorcola

gatorcola Member

Ratings Received:
    +50
    I can see the advantage of the early signing period. If I was a high school recruit and knew where I wanted to go, I'd like to have a binding commitment so other schools would quit trying to recruit me (for some reason I never had this problem).
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. Briang8r

Briang8r Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +428
    I agree that it would help to a degree. It would definitely help identify the kids that were serious about their early commitments. That being said, I think you would have to allow official visits earlier in the process (Junior year maybe) so the kids can make more informed decisions.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. ufdocco

ufdocco Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +370
    I think an early signing period makes a lot of sense. I think the kids should get an automatic waiver from the LOI if the college head coach is gone before their HS senior year ends. I think the commit/decommit dance will still happen, but it'll be earlier in the process and will impact Feb. LOI signing day less.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Gator1865

Gator1865 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +86
    I think an early signing period is going to result in a lot of kids being upset where they are at and seeing a lot of transfers. The SEC is talkiing about doing a signing period the Monday after FL / FSU or Alabama / Auburn. You don't think any of these kids are going to be coming off visit highs and commit somewhere they won't want to be committed to 3 months later. I just see a lot more Matthew Thomas' type situations happening.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. ctresh

ctresh Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +308
    That's exactly what I was thinking. I think you'd see a lot more transfers, which in turn hurts the player a lot more because of the rule that you have to sit out a year after transfering. I don't think an early signing period benefits the player at all. Most big name recruits wait until NSD already, and the ones who transfer from one school to another do it for good reasons most of the time.

For example, if a WR or RB commits to a school early with relatively no other competition for playing time, and then that school gets two or three big time recruits right after him, if he doesn't want the competition and wants to go somewhere else where he can get playing time earlier then who's to blame him for doing that? If he had signed early the kid would hate his first experience in college because he was unhappy going into it, and then he would have to sit out his second year of college because of transfer rules. Instead, he can simply decommit and enjoy playing his first year at the school that fits him the best.

I understand that all of the players who commit and decommit and commit and decommit again drive people crazy, but these are 17 and 18 year old kids, and I know that I rarely made the right dicision the first time every time when I was that age. I like the process as it is now, plus Muschamp is the best "flipper" out there, so if there was an early signing period it would hurt us a lot in that aspect.
  7. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,705
    I think we effectively have an early signing period with early enrollees.

Not sure we need another but I'm also not sure I understand the pros and cons.
  8. Briang8r

Briang8r Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +428
    Anything to make it less of a circus. I feel
    Those kids have to finish high school early. I think one of the main benefits would be to kids who commit early, and want to be completely done with the process. This has to be a huge distraction to the kids and their families with the constant phone calls from coaches, and reporters. I think some of them would prefer to sign early and end the madness.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. BobK89

BobK89 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +381
    Why do they have it for all other sports and not football? Stupid rule and I don't like it.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. phideltdj

phideltdj Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +327
    All an early signing period will do is start the commit and decommit process earlier...it would just mean that you would have a bunch of juniors commiting and then decommiting as oppossed to seniors. It would not change the system it would just put more pressure on kids to make decisions when they are even younger.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. gator_n_sc

gator_n_sc Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,510
    Easy solution: they have a year left of school so there's still time to learn what the word commitment really means.

com·mit·ment

kəˈmitmənt/

noun

the state or quality of being dedicated to a cause, activity, etc.

"the company's commitment to quality"

synonyms:dedication, devotion, allegiance,loyalty, faithfulness, fidelity More

an engagement or obligation that restricts freedom of action.

"business commitments"

synonyms:responsibility, obligation, duty, tie,liability; More