Early season schedule breakdown - Why beating LSU is so important

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by UFreak, Apr 14, 2014.

1. The_Graygator

The_Graygator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,022

Hmmm, well, after we probably lose @ Bama I would think going on the road and beating UT in what most likely be a night game would be more vital in establishing the seasons momentum than LSU at home.

Just my .02.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. DoctorGator

DoctorGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +298
    As I said above.....losing to UT would be catastrophic. Beating them doesn't mean much.

To me, beating UT would be a relief. Beating LSU would be exhilarating.

Beating UT means that you live to fight another day. Beating LSU means that you might actually have the team to get to Atlanta.
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  3. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +8,446
    I think both UTk and LSU could be pivotal games for the reasons folks on both sides have communicated.

A victory over LSU (or Bama for that matter), would mean we're for real and can compete to get to Atlanta.

Both road games in Tuscaloosa and Knoxville are important after last year, though. We dominated Miami on the road and still lost to them because of a series of boneheaded plays and turnovers. Those are largely mental issues we need to demonstrate that we're past.

If we play a fairly clean (well executed), competitive game in Tuscaloosa (win or lose) and bring home a win from Knoxville, we should be in a good mental state for the rest of the season. But if we make the same types of mistakes and get smoked in Tuscaloosa and lose in Knoxville, the season could be over from a mental POV.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. The_Graygator

The_Graygator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,022

Beat Bama and I'll be doing the Snoopy Dance.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. aggie96

aggie96 Member

Ratings Received:
    +144
    You guys will not beat the Corndogs or the Gumps next year. Sorry to say it, but it isn't happening. Believe me I would love more than anyone to see you beat them both, but it ain't happening. I do think you could be 4-1 going in to LSU, but both teams are way too tough. You guys need to drop ole coach "boom" and get someone else that isn't all hat and no cattle. He stepped in to Meyer's program and did well, but now that it is his the wheels are very wobbly.
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  6. slayerxing

slayerxing Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,146
    I believe you about Alabama, I would be hugely shocked if UF somehow won that one. But I wouldn't be surprised to beat LSU at home. No one thought they would beat LSU in 2012 either. Florida has a pretty good track record of beating good LSU teams at BHG stadium.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +8,446
    To quote a former governor of your state, I think you're "misunderestimating" Champ and the team as a whole. ;)

I am not saying we will beat LSU, but we definitely have a chance. I'd put it at about 50/50.

Much slimmer chance in Tuscaloosa, but at this point I wouldn't count that out either.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  8. gatorev12

gatorev12 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,694
    A lot of truth to this--it's a game Florida always gets up for and even managed to stay competitive in last year up until the fourth quarter.

LSU lost their QB and a few of their better offensive weapons, so they'll be down a notch on that side of the ball from an experience factor, if nothing else; but they seemingly always have guys step up as freshman and sophomores on both sides of the ball every year, so I'd expect by the time we play them, a few guys would have already stood out.

Nevertheless, it'll be a close, grinding battle given the style of both teams. Given they'll be coming off a game at Auburn the week before (what promises to be a long, physical game for them), that favors us. LSU doesn't play on the road after playing at Auburn very often, but I believe another poster pointed out that they have a paltry amount of wins over the last 30 some years.
  9. aggie96

aggie96 Member

Ratings Received:
    +144
    I wouldn't count out their QB play. They had a very nice Spring Game out of Brandon Harris and he seems to have distanced himself from the rest of the QBs as a front runner for the starter position. He had 4 TDs (3 passing and 1 rushing) Not to mention that their running game is going to be strong as well. I think LSUs offense gets much better with Zach gone and their Defense is going to be good as always.
  10. gatorev12

gatorev12 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,694
    Not counting him out by any means--Harris looks like a great QB for the future; but he's still a freshman and he'll be on the road at one of the loudest stadiums in the country against what's been one of the best defenses in the country over the past few years. Their rushing game should be solid (it always is); but they lost all their best WRs and the guys they have now are young and inexperienced. Going up against Hargreaves and some very, very talented CBs and safeties of UF, I like our odds in that matchup. Making them one-dimensional will make them a lot easier to defend and that works out well for us.
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  11. uftaipan

uftaipan Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,970
    The sharpest QB I can remember seeing in a previous Spring Game was John Brantley in 2010. Ask me if I'll ever put stock in QB Spring Game performance again.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. gatorcity

gatorcity Member

Ratings Received:
    +272
    Will you ever put stock in QB Spring Game performance again?
  13. uftaipan

uftaipan Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,970
    Funny you should ask. Of course, I will. Why wouldn't I?
  14. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +1,094
    Normally, I'm a strictly "Eastern Division games are more important" guy, and there is no doubt that according to tie-breaker rules, EACH of the Eastern division games are more important than any of the Western division games.

But let's take a look at what our our last 12 home games will have looked like going into that LSU game:

2012 - Missouri (5-7)...W 14-7
    2012 - U-La-La (9-4, Sunbelt)...W 27-20
    2012 - Jacksonville State (FCS)...W 23-0
    --------------------
    2013 - Toledo (7-5, MAC)...W 24-6
    2013 - Tennessee (5-7)...W 31-17
    2013 - Arkansas (3-9)...W 30-10
    2013 - Vanderbilt (9-4)...L 17-34
    2013 - Georgia Southern (FCS)...L 20-26
    2013 - SWAC...L 7-37
    --------------------
    2014 - Idaho (Independent, 1-11 in 2013)
    2014 - Eastern Michigan (MAC, 2-10 in 2013)
    2014 - Kentucky (2-10 in 2013)

So, Tennessee best win out of the group? We were one of only 6 SEC teams to beat them last year.

Our home crowd needs this game, and needs it bad.

If we come into that game with 1 loss or better, we'll seen an electric environment in the SWAMP that will remind us of 2012 (when 2011 SEC Champs and BCS runner-up LSU came to town) and 2008 (when 2007 SEC Champs and BCS Champ LSU came to town). The crowd was great for 2010 as well...up until that fake FG or a few plays after it. But this absolutely looks like our first swing game for the season. If we lose to Alabama, a win here preserves the ability to just win the SEC East games to get to Atlanta. If we beat Alabama, a loss can undo some of that positive mojo and bring us back to Earth. If we go 0-2 against Alabama and Tennessee, then a win against LSU would be a huge boost into breathing life back into the season, and at a minimum, keep the door open to win all of our home games.

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. aggie96

aggie96 Member

Ratings Received:
    +144
    I hope you can beat both Bama and LSU. I will pull for you guys to do it, I just realistically don't see it. Both reloaded again with talent and had people waiting to step up for the guys they lost. I don't think either of them will be undefeated this year, but they won't be slouches either. The West is going to beat itself up again this year.
  16. Bazza

Bazza Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,319
    Last year at LSU we played with depleted O and D lines & a crippled defense and subsequently they ran up, over, and through us. We just could not stop them.

Then Tyler's shoulder was injured early in the game and the season was lost from that point - partly because we continued to play an injured QB - and staff told him NO RUNNING - so when he tried to throw with the injured shoulder....well.....we were left with only a run game.....not including the QB because the staff didn't want to see him hurt even more.

That's like a fist fight with an arm tied behind your back.

So I agree with your post Freek....this year's LSU game will be pivotal but barring any injuries like last season....we will be very competitive.