Early season schedule breakdown - Why beating LSU is so important

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by UFreak, Apr 14, 2014.

1. GATORAZ

GATORAZ Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,930
    I think the Bama game is the important game. They still have a lot of question marks on that team. That game should be a dog fight.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. UFreak

UFreak Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,129
    Not really. I disagree with you and Gray because Tennessee has been down for some time and we have won 9 in a row over them. Ask the UF players who the better team is, LSU or Tennessee? The result of that poll won't be close, LSU. LSU is a Top 10 team, Tennessee is simply NOT. I understand that getting a win over UT means getting a win over an East Division opponent. But what I'm talking about is setting a tone and a level of confidence for the remainder of the season.

Right or wrong, the UF players are going to expect to beat Tennessee. Let's be honest, they (as a whole) aren't going to feel that way against LSU or have the same level of confidence/faith. If we go into the LSU game 4-1, yes, they will be confident and ready to play. But there is a difference in the resulting psyche from a win over Tennessee than there will be if we beat LSU. That is why the LSU game is the springboard.

Now, if we were to pull off the upset at Alabama like GATORAZ hinted, then naturally the players will have a different level of confidence all together and we can toss this thread into the fire. I'm not conceding the Alabama game, I'm just trying to be realistic with our record as we head into the LSU game.
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2014
  3. DMann

DMann Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +572
    When you were 4 & 8 in the previous season, every SEC game is pivotal. After last year we'll have to earn respect every Saturday. I hate the fact that FSU could be the best team we'll play in '14. They certainly have the best returning skill position players. With Spur's, getting to the SEC championship game was always the goal. Nothing was conceded along the way. I'm hoping we show up prepared to give 100% on every play and make better game decisions than going for 2 after our first score - even against the directional schools on our schedule.
  4. bullish

bullish Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +208
    freak you have the same thoughts that I have with the schedule. I don't see us beating Ala with JD which could bring positive press to him and us gators if we upset them? I think Roper will see how hard it is on the road in the sec also. The Ala game will show any weaknesses and show this team what it needs to improve on. The LSU game at home we get a chance to blow out the tigers. If it comes down to a LSU FG, hopefully our coaches will keep some containment on the punter. Another fake from Les and us falling for it would show our coaches don't learn from their mistakes.

I also believe we will have a winning season and be competitive in all or games, it will come down to injuries luck and better coaching on offense. The defense is young on the DL but there will be good to great talent out there. Anybody playing Florida will have to bring their A game to get by us. Boom has got to let Roper coach without reins, this is going to be a key for the season. Pease shouldn't have been hired but that is in the past and now we have someone the kids and fans are excited about. Let the good times roll!
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. BengermanV

BengermanV Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +786
    While I agree, I have gone on record to say that Missouri, Georgia, and LSU are going to be worse this year. Tennessee and Kentucky will probably be a little better, but I'm not entirely worried about either right now. The Alabama, LSU, Georgia, and FSU games are going to make or break our schedule. We will probably lose one game we shouldn't, but I bet we go 2-2 in those 4.
  6. uftaipan

uftaipan Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,608
    Is this an attempt to be tongue-in-cheek? A reason, among several, Jones gets a bad rap is that in 2013 Florida had one of the worst teams in its history and lost its irreplaceable starting QB in the first quarter against Tennessee ... and Jones still found a way to lose to them. What evidence is there that Jones is an SEC-caliber head coach? If it's just his (surprisingly good) recruiting class, then I respectfully submit that if he has another losing season this year -- which is entirely plausible -- the UTk recruiting will immediately return to status quo, and UT
  7. uftaipan

Ratings Received:
    +1,608
    I just peaked at UTk's schedule. If they can manage to go 6-6 and get to any bowl, it would be a breakout season. I count eight games they should be the underdog in. The only probable wins they're looking at are Utah St, Arkansas St, Chattanooga, and Kentucky.
  8. gatorcity

gatorcity Member

Ratings Received:
    +272
    That's pretty harsh judgement for a guy in Year 1 at his program (and the UF game was only his fourth game of his tenure), which was pretty severely lacking in talent. Also I'd say our QB was pretty replaceable. He was a liability and the guy who did replace him did a better job (definitely not a worse job, that's for sure).

Also he did get a pretty good win over South Carolina last year....more than WM can say for his first year.
  9. uftaipan

Ratings Received:
    +1,608
    Fair enough. I'm just not impressed. If he loses six to eight games again this year -- and I believe he will -- then I will continue to be unimpressed. That's just me.
  10. slayerxing

slayerxing Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,025
    Honestly, the LSU game loses it's pivotalness if UF drops the game to Tennessee, which is not altogether unlikely.

The psyche of this team is going to be so fragile early in the year, it is critical that things go right early. I fear so much how this team will reacting playing two straight away games in the SEC.

Games won away from home in Muschamp's Tenure
    2011: (2-4) @UK, Ohio State,
    2012: (4-2) @A&M, @UT, @Vandy, @FSU
    2013: (1-5) @UK

So, away from home, Muschamp coached UF teams are 7-11, and outside of the one good year in 2012, that stat is 3-9.

I am very concerned about BOTH Alabama AND Tennessee early this season.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  11. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,780
    I think this is a direct reflection of the quality of teams we put on the field in these years.

If we put a quality team on the field we'll be fine. And I think that is primarily dependent on Summers putting a functional OL on the field, and Driskel (or somebody) playing effective QB, especially in the red zone, and taking advantage of deep play opportunities when defenses get overly aggressive squeezing the field on us.
  12. theghost

theghost Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,426
    Not tongue in cheek at all. What proof is there he isn't an "SEC-caliber head coach"? He won at TWO previous programs. He's not a rookie. He just brought in one heck of a recruiting class. I don't expect UT to go better than 6-6. Have you studied the roster? They lost the ENTIRE offensive AND defensive line. As we all know, the SEC is a "line of scrimmage league". I expect they'll have some struggles...and I'm glad we get them early. As far as us beating them last year...it was his 3rd game as their head coach playing in Gainesville. So what if UT lost? That means he's a bad coach? Is Spurrier a bad coach for losing to Jones last year?

Jones is a PROVEN head coach. We're yet to see if he's "SEC caliber"...but after 1 season you have him pegged? What does that make Will Muschamp?
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  13. gatorcity

gatorcity Member

Ratings Received:
    +272
    I wouldn't say I'm necessarily impressed either but I do think they are on an upward trajectory. He cost himself a chance at beating UF by putting in the wrong QB. I honestly would not be surprised at all if they beat us this year (but I guess that's not saying a whole lot, just go ask GSU).

He inherited a tough situation up there. He's a proven commodity, much more so than Kiffin and Dooley so I'd expect them to get a lot better than they were during those years when we racked up several consecutive wins against them.

I think their days of losing records are behind them.
  14. DoctorGator

DoctorGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +224
    Beating LSU would be immeasurably bigger than beating UT; but losing to UT would be catastrophic. If we lose to UT, the season is basically over. Fortunately, I can't really see it happening - even after last year's dumpster fire. But beating UT means next-to-nothing. Ever since Tebow, we've been granted the fool's gold of being 4-0 (or 4-1 last year) because we beat the two cadavers at the front end of our schedule, then beat UT and UK, who were close to cadavers, to jump out to a good start. And some have bough the fool's gold and ended up looking pretty foolish.

Well, I didn't fall for it last year (OK, I was helped in this by us losing to a mediocre scum team) and I won't fall for it this year. If we are 4-1 this year, I will still be sitting here with my arms folded, waiting hopefully for the LSU game. Like Freak said, if we beat LSU, its off to the races. We could run the table in the SEC from there and get back to Atlanta as easy as not.

If we lose to LSU, its not the end of the world, but we'd then have to beat UGA and USC to have a solid bounce-back season. Imo, if we lose to LSU, the 4-2 record would mean what the 4-1 record had meant.....nothing.
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  15. slayerxing

Ratings Received:
    +1,025
    I agree except for the fact that the first 5 games DO matter from a confidence standpoint. 4-1, and the team will still be looking for a marquee win, so LSU will be the season defining game, IMO.

However, if UF loses to UT, and is sitting at 3-2, then the next 5 SEC games, LSU included, are all must win, pivotal, season saving games.

Lastly, if UF is somehow 5-0 getting ready to play LSU, the game isn't as meaningful because they are a western division opponent. At that point, the 4 SEC east games in a row after LSU are all much bigger (except for Vandy probably). But certainly Missouri would be a huge game, and UGA and USCe late would be ginormous.

So, while 4-1 won't tell us much, 3-2 or 5-0 WILL tell us a lot. So the first 5 games do matter, they might just matter more depending on what happens.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  16. DoctorGator

DoctorGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +224

Nothing to disagree with there.
  17. slayerxing

Ratings Received:
    +1,025
    I'm not sold on Butch Jones yet.

Add in the fact that he has to replace basically his entire LOS on both sides of the ball, and I think it could be a surprisingly tough year for UT. Even tougher than normal.
  18. theghost

theghost Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,426
    I never said the dude was Nick Saban or Urban Meyer. However, it's no fault of his own that in year 2 his entire OL and DL are gone. He inherited a perrenial loser. And, like I've said, he is a PROVEN head coach. He has won at 2 different D1 football programs. That's not easy to do. You (or anyone else) may not be "sold" on him, but that doesn't mean he won't turn the program around. Again, not saying he's the next Nick Saban...but his past PROVEN track record says he'll do just fine.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  19. slayerxing

Ratings Received:
    +1,025
    The other thing is that he has immediately followed Brian Kelly at both of his previous head coaching stops, so he stepped into a good thing in both places where he has previously beed successful.

In this stop he is following years of horrible coaching and mismanagement. Add in the current level of awesome coaches in the conference, and I'm just not sure he's going to make it.

He has more experience and more of a track record than Muschamp though.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  20. gatordavisl

gatordavisl Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,952
    I agree with those who claim that UT the the first marquee match-up. I also think Freak makes a good point that (assuming we win the UT game), the LSU game becomes huge. But isn't that true of just about every big SEC game? If you keep on winning, the stakes increase. My early guess on the Gator season is 9-3 with LSU being one of those losses.
    It will be very interesting to see how Bama, LSU, UGA, A&M, etc. do with new QBs.