Early season schedule breakdown - Why beating LSU is so important

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by UFreak, Apr 14, 2014.

1. UFreak

UFreak Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +877
    Never underestimate the power of the schedule. It is such an incomplete statement when someone says so-and-so is better than so-and-so, therefore they will beat so-and-so. If these games were played in a college football vacuum, that might be the case. Instead, they are played in the confines of a season sandwiched by other opponents and open weeks (in addition to injuries, suspensions, etc.).

Many are stating that UF's schedule is merciless. However, I find some mercy that will certainly get us to 4-1 (at the very least) and put is in position to have a big year with LSU being the fulcrum of the pivot to this possible big year.

In all likelihood, we will be 4-1 heading into our home game vs. LSU on Oct. 11.

Our first three games are wins before we travel to Tuscaloosa. If you do not believe that, then you can stop reading now because none of the rest will matter to you (believing we will drop one of those first three games is not completely unreasonable given last year's dumpster fire, I get it. But come on, we will get to 3-0.).

Following Alabama we are at Tennessee on Oct. 4, but we have a bye week to prepare for them while they travel to Georgia that same week. In addition to our complete ownership of them for a decade (or soon to be a decade), the schedule sets up great for us to go to Tennessee and get the win. 4-1.

Then we have LSU at home who will have just come back from a trip to Auburn for what will likely be a very, very physical game.

If this team can get to 5-1 by beating LSU, it will change the outlook for the season for this team and build vital confidence going forward. If this happens, they will become a dangerous team for the rest of the season as they were in 2012. Incidentally, it was a very important victory over LSU in the Swamp in 2012 that created the momentum to put us over the hump for that season.

This year's LSU game will be pivotal, much like it was two years ago. Get to 5-1 and I really like our chances.
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2014
    • Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 5
  2. theghost

theghost Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +807
    Freak, good assessment there. Realistically we'll be 4-1 coming home to face LSU. Don't underestimate Tennessee (they lost their entire OL & DL, so I think we'll pull it out this year but they are very well coach - not sure why Jones gets a bad rap, but that's a different topic). Losing to LSU could cause a spiral like last year. We have UGA just a couple weeks after that game.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. UFreak

UFreak Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +877
    Thanks ghost, it's not so much an underestimation of Tennessee as it is that it works out so VERY well for us from a schedule timing standpoint (despite the fact we are playing at Tennessee). I think Tennessee is one of those teams who will be a lot more difficult to beat late in the season than early in the season. I think we are catching a break is all.
  4. gatorev12

gatorev12 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,279
    Good post---if we win the LSU game, we're 5-1 heading into games against Mizzou (at home) and UGAy in Jax. A win builds momentum heading into those two...a loss can threaten the rest of the season to go downhill.

I like our chances against LSU though: they've lost a lot of talent on both sides of the ball and though they're always in perpetual reload mode, we do get them at home right after they've just wrapped up what'll be a tough, physical game at Auburn.
  5. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,863
    I hadn't looked at the schedule as closely as you have, Freak.

Nice job. A win against LSU to go 5-1 would definitely be huge.

I don't expect us to beat Bama, but they will have a new QB themselves. If Champ can take advantage of that and win the TO battle (maybe even score on defense), we could pull an upset there. Our front seven is going to get severely tested in that game, though. Henry looks like a beast, and we know their OL will be able to hold with impunity.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. mdfgator

mdfgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +618
    That's the bama game in a nutshell, our front seven against their run game. I don't think we will hold up for four quarters. We will need to go 10 deep, I have not seen that yet....I am hoping.
  7. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +532
    LSU has only beaten an SEC team on the road in the week following an Auburn game one time. Of course, the opportunities have not happened many times in their program's history. In 1980, they went on the road to win 17-10 in Lexington the week following a 21-17 win against Auburn. In most years, they either had a bye week after Auburn or they did not face an SEC opponent the following week.

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2014
    • Informative Informative x 6
  8. grant1

grant1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +332
    While Alabama may not over look anyone, we certainly not penciled in on their calendar. As they do not have any film on our new O and their key personnel losses, look for 5-0 going into LSU.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 2
    • Creative Creative x 1
  9. gatorich

gatorich Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +334
    Good assessment Freak, I agree completely. I think the bama game is huge in telling us what to expect the remainder of the year. I don't think it is a must win game and agree that LSU is the must win game if we are to contend in the east.
  10. Tebowism0823

Tebowism0823 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,108
    Couldn't agree more freak.
  11. DMann

DMann Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +304
    IMO beating UGA and USCe would be more likely to get us to Atlanta and a possible rematch with Bama or maybe a shot at Auburn. We should beat UT, Vandy and MO - even though we lost to 2 of those 3 last season. How do we keep getting 2 tough SECW opponents when UGA and USCe only have Auburn as their one tough west opponent?
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. gatormonk

gatormonk Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +174
    At least we get a bye week before Georgia too. Spurrier said this could be his best team since he has been at South Carolina.
  13. gatordee

gatordee Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,467
    GBut Ireat post freak. With LSU being a home game, this is probably WM's biggest game as coach of the Gators. A win will build confidence for the team as whole. I feel we are going to beat UG but we will have to play our A game and win the turnover battle if we are to have a chance to beat USC or FSU. I definitely believe the LSU game will set the tone for this year. And even though the college world out there knows Bama would beat us 9 out of 10 times this year, we must show up for that game and make it a game. Even though we have a tough schedule, it us set up nicely for breaking in the new offense with 3 cupcakes and then a good test against UT before facing probably the most physical and talented teams out there.
  14. The_Graygator

The_Graygator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,149
    @Tennessee is the biggest game for us early on imo. Lose that game and we're basically out of the SEC East race, and after ten straight UF wins, theyre due.

LSU is an after-though to me before UT.
    • Agree Agree x 5
  15. theghost

theghost Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +807
    Gray, you do realize the SEC F'd us and moved the Tennesee game to October?
  16. ACCecil

ACCecil Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +392
    I won't have much of an opinion of any of these games until I see who Tenn, Bama, LSU and UGA have at QB. But Gray nailed it, the Tenn road game is as much or more pivotal as the home LSU game as far as confidence and momentum and everything else.

I don't think it is out of the question for UF to beat Bama either. I remember a time when UF fans didn't concede games like that. You aren't Southern Miss, screw that, you should expect to beat Bama I don't care who their coach is. I think Muschamp was humbled last year. I think he knows he could be fired before the year is up. I have to figure he is going to come out guns blazing this year. I'm not sure what that means exactly. Even with all the injuries it was absolutely bizarre seeing UF lose 7 or was it 8 straight games and losing to GaSou at home. That is just bizarre.

You've got to unleash all those 4 and 5 star WR's.

You can't just waste talent like that.

I'm not sure what's up with your OL. You've got to get them in shape and get a mean streak in those guys. In fact, that is pretty much the key to the whole thing. If your OL is firing out and hitting guys on the other team as opposed to being sleepy and ready for a nap and sort of neutral about drive blocking then I expect UF to improve significantly and you all can go back to expecting to beat Bama and ignoring or laughing at Tenn and UGA.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. ACCecil

ACCecil Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +392
    And I said it before but got to say it again ....
    Last year the early loss to Miami cost you guys dearly.
    That set the tone for the rest of the year.
    That game ruined you guys.
    There was plenty of trash Miami talk on this board before that game.
    Supposedly Miami couldn't stop your run game and the Louisville loss to the end the previous year was just an aberration.
    Well, Miami did stop your running game.
    And you guys couldn't hang on to the ball.
    The rest is history.
    Ugly history.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  18. number1

number1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +309
    Well you are forgetting the fact that Alabama will also have a new OC and QB, so they will look a little different on offense too. Also, both teams will have like 3-4 weeks of footage to study to gameplan.
  19. The_Graygator

The_Graygator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,149

I know. I meant that I think UT is more important than LSU since it's an East game.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. gator1986

gator1986 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +570
    I personally think Alabama is our biggest concern for a win. They've had our number the last couple games, beat them and then it's game on. That high will have the players, playing out of their minds. See if you can beat Alabama, then you can beat anyone on that schedule. In my opinion.
    • Agree Agree x 1