Early Entry Watch

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by BengermanV, Apr 8, 2014.

1. regurgigator

regurgigator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,259
    I heard on ESPN radio a few minutes ago that the twins are officially returning. That's very good for UK.

But, I - for one - will not sit in a corner quivering in fear as I know some posters on here will start doing.

Cal has a lot of talent to work with next season for sure, but keeping everyone happy with one ball to go around may be his hardest job. It sure won't match his old sales pitch of come here and get exposed to the max and go to the NBA faster than you can anywhere else.
  2. dailydoublecat

dailydoublecat Respected Rival

Ratings Received:
    +743
    The players HAVE to buy in, if they don't then they need to leave and I hope they do.

Jeff
  3. Gatorhead

Gatorhead Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +182
    Umm - all do respect to our KY posters I agree with you regurg - first I was not overly impressed with the twins during the season, physical, drive the lane contact players. Drew lots of fouls, also lost 10 games, 3 to UF.
    The Ky homers will point to the 5 game tournament run. Yes they played well but they were hardly overwhelming.

Will KY be better with them? Probably. Are they over-hyped? So far, absolutely. While I like their size and length I'm not so impressed with ball movement and maturity. And before the KY faithful come rushing in with (what about those two winning shots) I would respond those shots would not have been needed if the twins were hitting 30% during those games.

Now that the hype of declaring is over Cal has to put together a team with chemistry and the will to win. If last year proved anything it was that Ky hype means nothing.

Now on to the good guys, I'm really excited, with the addition of Horford that UF has as good, perhaps a better, core group of players to build a team with than that school up north. We have a better coach and our program has clearly been head and shoulders above the product that has come out of Lexington the last two years. The last two years Ky has been good at talking but it's the Gators that have done the walking. I suspect when the dust clears next season it will be three straight years of UF installing hardware and Cal complaining about his 'playaz"
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. dailydoublecat

Ratings Received:
    +743
    Great thing is we all have opinions.....we will all get to see how it plays out. I thought the twins played great ball towards the end of the season. Doyel wrote a great piece about all the hype about them and how unfair it was to them. Next year will be fun, but we will lose a few if not many but the NCAA tourney is all that matters.

Jeff
  5. corpgator

corpgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +792
    World Basketball Championships are this year.

I guess it's called the World Cup of Basketball now.
  6. Gatorhead

Gatorhead Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +182
    Jeff - I can't say I agree. Certainly getting to the FF and winning the crystal is the ultimate prize and surely the most exciting. But to say that is all that matters denigrates the entire experience of Collage basketball. I love the non conference early season, the conference slate and the tournaments. I find it hard to believe you don't enjoy
    Louisville or North Carolina or UF coming to Lexington for a ball game?

Hey to each his own but I like the entire experience. Regarding the tourney I assume from your post that only the winner, this year of course being UCONN had a season that mattered? Speaking for myself I thought it was cool to see the emergence of Prather and SW, see the core 4 win 30 straight and dominate the SEC. Hey I wanted that 3rd title don't get me wrong but this was one of the funnest seasons I ever experienced as a Gator fan. While not being
    an SEC homer I still thought it was cool that two SEC teams made the Final 4. Just my 2 cents, stay safe bro...
  7. dailydoublecat

Ratings Received:
    +743
    I do understand your feelings.....I have always said that the basketball season is like a journey with twists and turns. I do love the entire season...my thoughts were I will remember fondly the run, but we came up short and added no hardware conference or the big prize.

Jeff
  8. themistocles

themistocles Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +462
    Yes Head. The NCAA tournament is merely one aspect of college basketball.

Some consider it the most important, but really there are several rather important things to consider in Basketball, with the NCAA Tournament only being one of them.

1 - The most important is beating your historical and particularly Arch Rivals. Like for the Gators, FSU and Georgia, and for Ky, Louisville and now, Florida.

2 - The second is performing as well as you can and learning as much as you can as a team during the season.

3 - The third is beating your conference Rivals.

4 - The fourth is winning your conference, preferably the regular season, but a tournament title is nice also.

5 - The fifth is the NCAA Tournament.

The only reason Jeff said that was because as a whole, this season for the Cats was the ultimate bust, and if it weren't for that tournament run (and they won multiple very close games to get to the Finals), Cat's fans would be in deep mourning. I thought it was a horrible thing myself because it make Cali almost look like a coach, at least until some violation he has committed comes back to haunt as he managed to avoid in his two prior coaching stints.
  9. dailydoublecat

Ratings Received:
    +743
    If you win number 5 the other 4 don't matter. I've stated many times on here this season was rocky, but it was a fun three weeks.
  10. REM08

REM08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +706

You put Florida in the wrong tier for Kentucky. Should have been the 3rd...
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  11. gatordavisl

gatordavisl Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,360
    You forgot who your daddy is. Now sit back down on the back p0rch little kitty. 3-0
  12. REM08

REM08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +706

Haha - won't even address the amount of ridiculousness in that comment.

However, what you're essentially contesting my suggestion that Florida isn't on the same rivalry level as teams like Louisville or Indiana. Really? I remember a recent thread on catspause asking who your most hated team was. Florida wasn't mentioned - but about 7 other teams were. I'm not saying its not a rivalry, but its a conference one - and not a conference one like Alabama/Auburn or Florida/Georgia in football.
  13. gatordavisl

Ratings Received:
    +2,360
    What's so ridiculous? If you had considered the context of the discussion, your minimizing of the FL rivalry is ridiculous. The conversation was about the relative importance of the college basketball season. Note also that Themis wrote "and NOW Florida." Nowhere did he claim UF is a bigger rival than Indiana, but you want to make THAT into the argument to disguise your p0t-shot. UK has played the Gators EIGHT times since the last time they played Indiana. The Catspause claim is silly too. Hated = rivalry imp0rtance?

I can see the conversation on the p0rch rocking chairs:

UK fan #1: who we really need to beat this year?
    REM: Indiana!
    UK fan #1: but we don't play Indiana this year, next year, or in three years.
    REM: Indiana! Cause we hate 'em and the folks on Catspause said so!

And once again, you need to be reminded of your surroundings. Not the place to take veiled p0t-shots.
  14. REM08

REM08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +706

Maybe you should re-read Them's post. He put UF in the category of "historical and arch" rivals and NOT in the category of conference rival. Historical and arch rivals don't translate, as you're suggesting, as merely most important because of frequency of play. I'd never contend that Indiana is more important (even when UK did play them) than recent years against Florida. UK might play UF 3 times each year and both teams are top ten caliber teams. Thats IMPORTANT. I agree.

But does that mean historical? Are they "arch rivals"? Them's post likened UF to Louisville in this respect. Really? The team 70 miles down the road who is one of the 6 or 7 best programs of all time? The one that has UK's former coach? Really? You incorrectly assumed I thought themistocoles elevated Florida over other traditional rivals. Nowhere did I say that. In my post, the one you replied to, I actually specifically stated "same level" as being what I was contesting.
  15. gatordavisl

Ratings Received:
    +2,360
    Well, that was predictable. You are rationalizing your back-handed swipe at the Gators. Guess I should not have played along by entertaining your inane Indiana argument. This is typical Kat fandom. Gators rise above = minimize the imp0rtance of that rivalry. :rolleyes: You should understand things like rationalization.

3-0 = bragging rights over the second class in our conference. Go ahead and focus on the more imp0rtant historical rivalries.
  16. REM08

REM08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +706

This really doesn't even sound like you. I'm sure we'll have fun discussing other topics, but what's happening here barely qualifies as communication at all. You're trying to see something that isn't there and its causing you to miss the complete lack of logic in your argument.

Topping your post off with UK being second class in the SEC served as the perfect evidence of what I just explained. The "gators rised above"??? Yes, Florida was better this year - despite not having as impressive or as deep of a tourney run. So what? If UK has the better year next year will things have completely reversed? Do things really run year by year in your mind? Did UVA pass Duke this year as 1st class in the ACC?

I do understand rationalization, you're right. Your posts here serve as great examples of it.

How is my Indiana (which was only one of the teams I mentioned) argument "inane"? I suggested they are 1 - more of a historical rival and 2 - more hated by UK fans - as this was the suggestion countered in the post I was responding to. You're the one that tried to twist it into a matter of importance. The UF rivalry is certainly more important - I already said that. Its just not what I (nor anyone except yourself) was talking about. Florida is also more southern of a school than Indiana. Want to through that into the discussion? - as its just as relevant!
    Last edited: May 3, 2014
  17. gatordavisl

Ratings Received:
    +2,360
    Themis never claimed UK/Indiana was not a historic rivalry. He claimed that UK/UF is "NOW" an important rivalry (once again, since you refuse to acknowledge this). And he's right:

UF/UK #7 (where's UK/Indiana?)
    UF/UK #18
    UF/UK #8 most Intense Rivalry

I don't give a $pit about the UK/Indiana rivalry. It could be the most heated/hated/traditional/historic whatever the hell you want to claim rivalry in all of sp0rts . . . even though it isn't. My complaint is that another UK fan simultaneously displays ignorance and arrogance by dismissing the Gators as a rival. I'm done with this.
    Last edited: May 4, 2014