duties of American citizenship

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by oldgator, Jun 30, 2013.

1. oldgator

oldgator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +147 / 0 / -0
    Mandatory: Obeying Laws
    Mandatory: Paying Taxes
    Mandatory: Jury Duty
    Mandatory: Serve as a Witness
    Mandatory: Register for the Draft

funny how many are freeloaders and try to weasel out of their duty
  2. PIMking

PIMking New Member

Ratings Received:
    +913 / 0 / -0
    Well the draft part is funny, since women will be able to fight on the front lines they should have to sign up for the draft just like men
  3. oldgator

oldgator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +147 / 0 / -0
    agree 100000000000000000000000000000000000000000%
  4. oldgator

oldgator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +147 / 0 / -0
    Mandatory: Obeying Laws--I strive to obey all laws, even the ones that I really don't like. Gotten speeding tickets etc over the years.

Mandatory: Paying Taxes--really don't like all the taxes I pay. Especially when you consider the myriad of local, state, federal programs, agencies, etc that are paid for by taxes. But overall I like America as a country and I benefit directly/indirectly by a lot of tax funded things and don't see how I benefit directly/indirectly by other things paid for by taxes. But on the whole I believe the money I pay in taxes is well worth paying in terms of how local, state,federal govt has things for us today and for our the future.

Mandatory: Jury Duty- showed up dutifully for jury duty. My being hard to read by defense attorneys as well as prosecuting attorneys have led to one or the other saying 'no' to me being on a jury. Sad to say that juries aren't simply done by drawing names out of a hat from the pool of people who show up that day for jury duty. I believe that there is way to much of each side trying to stack the jury in their favor that all too often their goal doesn't seem to be justice but rather getting a win for their side.

Mandatory: Serve as a Witness--served as witness.

Mandatory: Register for the Draft. Registered for draft. Never served in military. Worked for U.S. govt alongside our military.
  5. HallGator

HallGator Administrator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,223 / 35 / -8
    While ignorance of the law may not be an excuse we are so inundated by laws, and regulations, in this country it is almost impossible to keep up with them.
  6. MichiGator2002

MichiGator2002 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +952 / 41 / -9
    Another duty is, in the event of a long train of abuses and usurpations (that) evince a design to reduce them under absolute despotism, to throw off such government and to provide new guards for their future security.
  7. northgagator

northgagator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +90 / 0 / -0
    Mandatory participation in the community for at least one or more of the following items:
    Public elected office,
    Appointed public office,
    Community service activities,
    Volunteer fire/rescue/police duty, volunteer aides at public schools,
    Classes on family/domestic skills before getting a marriage license or public assistance
    Community service when receiving public assistance.
    Community when completing a prison/jail sentence.
    Being held responsible for the behavior and education of your children (in other words dead beat parents lose their kids).
    Being held responsible for the condition and upkeep of real estate (in other words no public blight).
  8. oldgator

oldgator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +147 / 0 / -0
    you are referring to voting. Adn of course obeying laws that provide environment for citizens to run for office, file petitions, seek impeachment of elected officials.

sometimes people are are either impatient, lazy, lacking in faith, etc to do things in our laws to effect changes that would keep America from going downhill. or believe that they are above the law or and talk themself into throwing a tantrum l throwing a riot, bombing govt buildings, etc. . They'd rather destroy everything than work with others towards a solution. And operate on the premise that it is a good idea to throw out the baby with the bathwater.
  9. MichiGator2002

MichiGator2002 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +952 / 41 / -9
    *shrug* I mean nothing more or less than what the author meant.
  10. ncbullgator

ncbullgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +125 / 7 / -5
    How many people actually pay federal income taxes in the US?

There are 320 million Americans.

130-135 million Ameicans either work fulltime or part time.

65 million Americans pay federal income taxes. 65 million Americans who work, do not.

That's 20%. A lot of Americans are not meeting their citizen responsibilty.

Guess who they voted for?

:no:
  11. oldgator

oldgator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +147 / 0 / -0
    guess which party is responsible for channeling money to corporations and 1%ers who then choose not to hire people. But instead pour their money into savings or into foreign countries.

Thing is both parties bear responsibility for the situation in which so many million don't pay taxes due to lack of jobs, freeloading is a viable choice to lazy people, people dodging tax laws via loopholes, etc

to point finger at one party is dishonest
  12. JerseyGator01

JerseyGator01 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +346 / 24 / -8
    The two major Political parties = dishonesty.

I just find it hysterical that 90% of blacks vote for Dems yet their overall financial situation in so many cases is worse for decades now. Media brainwashing at its finest.
  13. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,866 / 66 / -30
    Their war on poverty is to keep certain segments of society wanting/needing... and in return the Dems in power get that same segment of society voting for them to keep the freebies coming - the Party of the Dems/(freebies). It's easy to see... that is exactly what the Dems want and need to stay viable and in power.

The Dems are at war with America and the Constitution.
  14. AirHern

AirHern New Member

Ratings Received:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I would guess that you are referring to the people that twice voted for a guy that turned a near surplus into a $1.2 trillion deficit, doubled the debt, increased federal spending at the highest rate in 40 years, brought us a $2 trillion war in Iraq and.........cut taxes.

I think that the people that voted for that guy and were more than content to let somebody else pay for all their free goodies are the ones that are not "meeting their citizen responsibilty."

So funny how those people forget all of that when they want to get a little hypocritical whining going. :joecool:
  15. ncbullgator

Ratings Received:
    +125 / 7 / -5
    You asked. I answered. Only 20% of the citizentry pay federal income taxes while the other 80% freeload with all of the benefits of being an American.

You cannot dispute this fact. And those who don't pay federal income taxes likely support the liberal party.

What you posted is what what you always do: divert.

And when you bring up the "bad" old coporations who actually create wealth while government employment creates nothing, the liberal left coast corporations are the biggest culprits of hiding money overseas. But save that for a different thread.

:sick:
    • Like Like x 1
  16. northgagator

northgagator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +90 / 0 / -0
    If you receive public assistance (including earned income credit) you should be required to perform public service. Every citizen should have some skin in the game!

17. oldgator

oldgator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +147 / 0 / -0
    "And when you bring up the "bad" old coporations who actually create wealth while government employment creates nothing, the liberal left coast corporations are the biggest culprits of hiding money overseas. But save that for a different thread."

I don't assert all corporations are 'bad'. And to try to claim all corporations are 'bad' is just as stupid as claiming all corporations are 'good'. Corporations consist of people. Complete with human virtues and vices. And looking a corporations in America a great many do good. There are also a great many that do harm thru their policies.

There isn't just 'one' cause for so many people not paying income taxes. There are a multitude of causative factors....factors that dems are guilty of , and factors GOP is guilty of. Time for both parties to clean up their act and also to work together. As long as there is finger pointing than the BS will continue.

To try to point a finger at one party is diverting. Which is precisely what you are doing.

So if you want to keep playing 'gotcha' go ahead. But that just the points a finger at you as being part of the problem
  18. ncbullgator

Ratings Received:
    +125 / 7 / -5
    The problem is that liberals truly believe poor people (victims) should not pay any taxes, but receive the benefits of being an American paid for by their working neighbors.

Until you admit that, there can never be fairness in our society.

:sick:
  19. Dreamliner

Dreamliner Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +431 / 36 / -11
    No tyrant could have stated it better.
  20. DarthG8RV3

DarthG8RV3 Twisted and Evil Gator

Ratings Received:
    +6,176 / 3 / -2
    Here's one that could save this Country .

Mandatory: Seek and destroy all Communist , theres many here in the US .