Dutch skate coach: U.S. could have better speedskaters if not for our "foolish sports" like football

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by FakeRickSutcliffe, Feb 21, 2014.

1. G8R92

G8R92 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +330
    - Nigel Powers
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. MyakkaGator

MyakkaGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,860
    When curling makes your sport look feminine it's a pretty sad state of affairs in your sport in your country..I'd much rather have a gold ribbon for competitive eating than the dutches gold medals.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. phatGator

phatGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +243
    Hij is stapelgek denk ik!
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. MyakkaGator

Ratings Received:
    +1,860
    Taco supreme hold the tomato!!!!
  5. buddhistgator

buddhistgator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +252
    He's probably pissed off because the US hasn't signed the Kyoto accords. What else could it be? He lives in a country with higher per capita income, better education system, better health care and is loaded with tall hot blondes, 5 weeks paid vacation and pretty good beer. Not as good as Belgian beer, but still solid. Maybe he's jealous that we have higher concussion rate per capita.
    • Boring Boring x 2
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  6. MyakkaGator

Ratings Received:
    +1,860
    I would argue the education system because anyone that says what he said makes the word "dumb" look like a monumental genius. I get 8 weeks vacation and would take our "our loaded with tall hot blondes" in this country because they have the competence to watch actual sports versus the ice version of roller derby.
  7. buddhistgator

buddhistgator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +252

This stuff doesn't happen in speed skating.
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Boring Boring x 1
  8. LimeyGator

LimeyGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +668
    Silly man.

If his gold medalist skaters were that good on blades, why not up the ante, give them a stick and upgrade themselves to hockey? That's like me saying I'm the best writer in the world because I grip the pen sublimely... ;)
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. Spurffelbow833

Spurffelbow833 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,502
    I am surprised we haven't done better in short track. It does suit our attention span and greater desire for mayhem better than long track.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. g8orbill

g8orbill Gators VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +9,032
    he is a skater what the hell does he know
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. MyakkaGator

Ratings Received:
    +1,860

I'll take that over what is the equivalent to their "sport."
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. Neptune

Neptune Member

Ratings Received:
    +42
    He mentioned in the interview that he liked American Football, Seattle specifically. The comments arose from a line of questioning about the American speed-skaters and why they didn't do better. I don't agree that the US wastes talent, but I think we would certainly be more formidable in certain sports if our best athletes chose to participate. Imagine a guy like Lebron James in goal for the USMNT in this summer's World Cup. Imagine Percy Harvin in speed skates.

It would be cool.

But yeah, I prefer Percy with a football helmet, too.
  13. ufgator4ever

ufgator4ever Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +239
    Nuff said.
  14. Tolbert1906

Tolbert1906 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +74
    He is right though. If the U.S. did focus all their attention on those sports, we would be winning medals left and right. If Americans cared about soccer, we would eventually dominate that sport as well. Same for hockey. As it is, we prefer to focus on our "sucky" sports, like football, which is perfectly fine with me.
  15. PTCGator

PTCGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +158
    Hmmmmmm…..maybe I'd better check my historical facts, but weren't we playing football in the good ole USA back in 1980 when Eric Heiden won all 5 men's speed skating gold medals?
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. wygator

wygator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +836
    Not only is Heiden the only person to win all five skating distances in one olympics, but the only skater to win all five distances period. Think about it...roughly equivalent to a sprinter winning the 100 meter dash, the 800, 1,500, 5,000 and 10,000 meter in the same games. It'll never happen.

During his career, he held the world record in 4 of the 5 distances.

It's true that we would be better at soccer and speed skating if our best athletes didn't play football, basketball and baseball. But as one of our earlier posters noted, can you really make a decent living at speed skating?

I have observed that we're loading up our bobsleds with track and football athletes...that makes sense.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  17. gatorev12

gatorev12 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,353
    Not even the best Dutch athletes are speedskaters...usually, they play soccer.

And it must reeeeaaally suck for the guy and his ignorance when he realizes that the US can still dominate the Olympics without our best athletes playing those sports. We just finished second in the medal count--without a speedskating medal (which is a rarity, as we usually are pretty competitive there). Suck it douche.
  18. Spurffelbow833

Spurffelbow833 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,502
    Yeah. Some ragtag outfit called the Pittsburgh Steelers had just won their 4th Super Bowl in 6 years. They must have hated how Heiden prospered at their expense.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  19. speedytilian87

speedytilian87 Member

Ratings Received:
    +55
    Lol @ you guys attacking this guy because he threw some dirt on your beloved game of football. He's largely correct. Our love affair as a country with football and basketball and baseball erodes our potential in the other minor sports. The United States has unbelievable tapped potential in all those little sports sitting on NBA benches in the D-League, fighting for practice squad spots in the NFL, and playing for AA minor league baseball teams. Too often, kids, especially in high school give up sports that they're extremely talented in (the minor ones) for dreams of "making it" in the big money sports. Only to waste their talent sitting on a bench or playing for some Podunk team in the middle of nowhere.. Chasing a dream. Happens in track and field all the time, sure it happens more frequently in the other sports. That's the point he was trying to make.
  20. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,324
    And yet going into this Olympics all time they had won 79 speed skating medals and we had won 75. In 2010 they won 7 and we won 4.
    We also finished ahead of them in total medals this Olympics and had medals in nearly a dozen sports.
    He called football "stupid", while failing to acknowledge the fact that the reason they dominate that sport is because the rest of the world generally doesn't care about it. He also fails to realize that spending a ton of money for a sport people don't care about but once every 4 years only makes sense in true context of the USOC, which has a limited budget and historically still has us top 3 all time in medals in the sport. People aren't going to spend a ton of money if there is no return, and spending less energy on football isn't going to magically make speed skating popular.
    Basically he is doing the very thing he is accusing us of (assigning a disproportionate value to national sport), using an an unusual event against any other Olympics. (The US being down and the Dutch having the games
    of their entire history), and trying to gloat about something most Americans don't care about, much like we aren't racing to match the Asian nations in ping pong or badminton.
    The guy is pretty clueless.