Durant NBA MVP (Noah Finishes 4th)

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by GothamGator, May 6, 2014.

1. GatorLurker

GatorLurker Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +393
    Some times Pro players make a "sea change" in the minds of the kids that play the game. I played a lot of pick-up ball in my youth (a LONG time ago) and the playground game was totally selfish until Magic Johnson made it "cool" to make the assist. Suddenly lots of playground players were looking to make the sweet pass instead of scoring themselves and it changed what I was used to. Before it was if you wanted to take a shot you had better get a defensive rebound and dribble up court. Now it was way cooler to make the sweet pass to somebody getting an easy deuce.

For that I thank Magic J a whole lot. He singlehandedly improved basketball as it is played on the playgrounds of the USA and the world by making it cool to actually play one really important aspect of the game properly.

Jo's commitment to total energy at both ends might make a huge positive impact on kids wanting to play the game if there are kids watching the game and want to "Be Like Jo". That is how the game needs to be played if it is played at the highest level. I love it.
  2. StrangeGator

StrangeGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,104
    Jo was a point guard from the get-go. He was a six four PG as a high school sophomore, already as tall as his dad, and exploded in height from then on. Even then, when he played at Rucker Park when he was in college, he ran the point. It's instinctive for him.