Dumbo Still Sending Fighter Jets to Egypt

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by candymanfromgc, Jul 10, 2013.

1. candymanfromgc

candymanfromgc Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +505
    www.foxnews.com/world/2013/07/10/us-sends-four-more-f-16s-to-egypt-despite-cairo-tumult

Four more F-16 fighter jets are slated for delivery to Egypt’s military as part of a U.S. foreign aid package that is apparently unaffected by the army’s overthrow of the North African nation’s president last week.

“There is no current change in the plan to deliver F-16s to the Egyptian military,'' one U.S. official told Reuters, speaking on condition of anonymity.

The jets will likely be delivered in August, with eight more to be sent in December.

The aid package, which also includes a total of 20 of the planes, plus some 200 Abrams tanks, was already criticized earlier this year by lawmakers who questioned arming then-President Mohamed Morsi, the Islamist leader ousted by the military.

The foreign aid deal was signed in 2010, when Hosni Mubarak was Egypt’s president.

“At this point, we don't know where Egypt is headed," Rep. Mac Thornberry, (R-Texas), vice chairman of the House Armed Services Committee, told FoxNews.com at the time. "We should be cautious about driving them away, but we should also be cautious about the arms we provide.”

In addition, the U.S. government also paid at least $83 million to upgrade facilities and provide training at the Egyptian military's "Cairo West Air Base" to accommodate the new F-16s.

The U.S. has been careful not to characterize the Egyptian military’s ouster of Morsi as a coup, which by law would preclude military aid from going out.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,005
    As long as Morsi doesn't get his hands on them... it was a deal that they made awhile ago. I still think it's a bad idea..
    • Like Like x 1
  3. wargunfan

wargunfan Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +189
    I feel better about arming the Egyptian military now that they have throttled the Muslim Brotherhood. Egyptians deserve better than Morsi. Egypt is a needed ally in the Middle East and can help to bring stability to the region. It can only be hoped that a moderate coalition can be found to govern the country.
    • Like Like x 2
  4. candymanfromgc

candymanfromgc Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +505
    Problem is we do not know at this point who will be calling the shots. At this point, while I like what the military has done, we should sit on this awhile.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. baygator1

baygator1 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,235
    Either we feel very confident about who ultimately fills the leadership vacuum, or we're just being ridiculously careless. I sure hope it's the former, and recent developments would indicate the new leadership taking shape has no tolerance for the MB.

Regardless, I tend to agree with you - no harm in letting it play out a while longer to be more certain of the outcome.
    • Like Like x 3
  6. dadx4

dadx4 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,080
    I am with you on this.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. gatorchamps0607

gatorchamps0607 Always Rasta Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,011
    Why not, we are going to help those FSA terro.... I mean, those good ol' boys that just want to be free. :roll:
    • Like Like x 2
  8. ncgatr1

ncgatr1 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,038
    They must be leftovers from the sequester cuts.
    • Like Like x 2
  9. DieAGator

DieAGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,065
    Why not stay close, they dislodged the Muslim B'hood for us. I would be surprised if Obama really likes Islamists.