Due to Florida's SYG law we have yet another unnecessary killing

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by chompalot, Jun 15, 2013.

1. Tasselhoff

Tasselhoff Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +306
    Please name an instance when someone decided they did not lime someone, started a confrontation, gunned the guy down and suffered no consequences.
    And before calling oit TM vs. GZ you might want to wait until all the facts and all the evidence is in. Plus...GZ isn't using syg.

Despite how some want to protray this law as a return to the wild wild west.... it isn't. It is carte blanche to kill or gun down someone. It is a right to defend yourself when bejng threatened and attacked.

Do I think it needs tweaking? Sure. Most laws do though.
    Do I think it is the reason for thousands of murders every year....not remotely.
  2. PIMking

PIMking New Member

Ratings Received:
    +894
    the only thing that makes this different than a normal murder case is that Florida has a stupid worded law that this guy is trying to use and an excuse to murder someone.

You do know that you're more likely to be shot by a cop than someone with a CCL right?

This is just another sensless murder if you want to belive it but both parties are questionable in the first place.

drugs + strip club + gun - common sense = Someone dying

You have a haven for gun control and no stand your ground law in Chicago but they're the murder capital of the world. So if we didn't have the stand your ground people would still get shot and killed regardless of your mythical utopia that you have in your head
  3. vangator1

vangator1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +163
    Sounds like SYG doesn't apply. The security guard's life wasn't in danger. He shot the guys while they were still in the car. Shot one in the back.

SYG is an excellent law. Zimmermann is getting screwed. I hope he walks and sues everybody for as much as he can get.
  4. gator85jd

gator85jd New Member

Ratings Received:
    +65
    When you use the term "gun nuts" are you including the crack heads and other street thugs? The ones who, when robbing someone, will put a bullet in the victim's head even though the victim is complying with their demands? Probably you aren't including them, because SYG would hopefully make the crack heads fear that their victim could be CCW.

The case at hand likely doesn't qualify for SYG, so quit your crying.
  5. GatorAvatar

GatorAvatar New Member

Ratings Received:
    +170
    Public pressure got him arrested. Without the outcry he would have never been tried.
  6. GatorAvatar

GatorAvatar New Member

Ratings Received:
    +170
    So if these guys weren't eagle scouts, they deserve to be killed? If they were reading bible verses would that have made their lives more important?
  7. PIMking

PIMking New Member

Ratings Received:
    +894
    But he was arrested and will be brought before a court of law for it. Regardless of public outcry or not, Public outcry is what got Michael Jackson off.

But this is the same public outcry that tries to make martin look like an angel
  8. GatorAvatar

GatorAvatar New Member

Ratings Received:
    +170
    I don't know what you are talking about to be honest. You are missing the point. Go back to your post that I quoted and see what you wrote.
  9. PIMking

PIMking New Member

Ratings Received:
    +894
    it doesn't matter whether it was public outcry or not, he was arrested
  10. candymanfromgc

candymanfromgc Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +344
    If I'm charged for murder and my best chance at aquittle is to plead insanity-I'm going to do so. That doesn't make an insanity defense bad-just abused. If I'm this guy he has most likely been told by his attorney this is his best defense. Doesn't make the defense bad -just perhaps abused.
  11. Lawdog88

Lawdog88 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,976

As I understand it Jeff, the main reaction in passing the law was to make certain that wives and mothers getting out of their cars at the mall, would have a choice to fire the first shot at would-be carjackers.

I can't disagree with that.
  12. BobK89

BobK89 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +690
    There was nothing from the accused about invoking SYG as a defense. The only mention of SYG is from the atty for the family of the deceased victim.
  13. MichiGator2002

MichiGator2002 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,327
    And, of course, from the broad categorical rantings from whence came this thread. Like the other compare/contrast thread in which SYG was not a factor in one of the cases... but why should a detail like that matter?
  14. fastsix

fastsix Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,099
    And as long as you kill the person, no one will ever know whether they were a carjacker, or just someone who "looked like" a carjacker - they'll just have to take your word for it.
  15. MichiGator2002

MichiGator2002 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,327
    And if we lived in a world where sane and rational people had reason to assume that their neighbors have just been looking for a pretense to shoot some black folk, that would be a valid concern.
  16. rivergator

rivergator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,892
    I don't get this. Yeah, they were at a strip club rolling a joint. OK to shoot them? IF they were quoting Bible verses and he overheard them intending to smite someone?

Otherwise, I don't see that the SYG law caused this. It's just the intended defense.
  17. fastsix

fastsix Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,099
    Why are you bringing race into it? Doesn't matter what color the person is. Someone sketchy looking comes up to your car looking for some spare change, you're scared, you shoot and kill them, claim it was SYG against the "carjacker". Your word vs. the dead person. It's a great law for people who are scared of their own shadow.
  18. BobK89

BobK89 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +690
    FWIW, I work with a few former asst. State Attorneys and Public Defenders who are convinced the SYG law allows one criminal to kill another.

Sent from my iPhone using GatorCountry
  19. Minister_of_Information

Minister_of_Information I'm your huckleberry Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,330
    I actually agree with fastsix for a change: SYG is a bad law. That said, people ought to be able to defend others proactively from unlawful force, which is the one good aspect of SYG IMO.
  20. Lawdog88

Lawdog88 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,976

There would have to be some sort of objective evidence of a felony being attempted and / or committed, you know, such as witnesses, mall security video, weapon found on the ground beside the decedent, etc., for Granny to pass the smell test. You know, like you might find in a normal police investigation.

Unless Granny was just waiting to pick somebody off with her Glock, and somebody got close enough for her to do it. But that might fit with your hyperbole better.