Duck fans visiting UF

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by Ducks, Aug 17, 2013.

1. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,616
    I'm with the Cuban food idea - definitely great eats they aren't getting out here.
  2. Brewski

Brewski Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +160
    There's a pretty good Cuban rest in G'Ville too. It's called Mi Apa...not too far from campus.
  3. killergator

killergator Member

Ratings Received:
    +0
    You obviously know nothing about Orlando, so you are not qualified to make the statement above.
  4. DuPontGator

DuPontGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +77
    Learn Spanish....
  5. deathroll

deathroll Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +494
    Right. Sorry if I badmouthed your city/home, killer but I actually know Orlando pretty darn well. I grew up in Sanford. Have also lived in Deland. Have a daughter and son-in-law that currently live in Orlando. Also a niece and nephew that live there. I do not care for Orlando and none of my relatives like it either. All 4 of my relatives that live there are counting the days till they can move away. I've visited Orlando maybe 100 times over the years. In my opinion, you see your park and get out.
  6. Bazza

Bazza Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +808
    I always make it a point to visit I-4 when I get a chance.......it's one of the best adventure theme parks O'ville has to offer! :ninja:
    • Like Like x 2
  7. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,273
    That's Miami.
  8. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,273
    Hey Ducks fan... like someone else mentioned already, I too hope you post here in Swamp Gas throughout this football season.
  9. 95Gator

95Gator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,500
    Double wrapped beef primo combo, no sauce, sauce on side (if memory serves, and I've ordered that probably 500x, not kidding). Also guac and sour cream.

Of course it would feel weird ordering it from anywhere other than University Ave.

Also go check out Tempo Bistro.
  10. GolphinGator

GolphinGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +131
    Not so much a lot of that part of Miami has moved to the south edge of Ocala and between.
  11. allanhovey

allanhovey Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +90
    Here is some information on game day that will be helpful to our Duck visitors.
    The was just posted on the UAA website ("gatorzone") and there is lots more gameday info on there.

http://www.gatorzone.com/story.php?id=26112
    • Like Like x 1
  12. ibdgator

ibdgator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +6
    Hey Ducks
    just sent you a PM (private message). hope you reply
    go gators
  13. Tolbert1906

Tolbert1906 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +61
    We have Krispy Kreme here in Denver. They probably have them in Oregon or California. Ducks fan is probably familiar with VooDoo Donut. I don't think he'd be impressed by Krispy Kreme.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Gator Country
  14. killergator

killergator Member

Ratings Received:
    +0
    There are plenty of things to do here if you look. I am not talking about the theme parks either. I do not like the masses of humanity - the only acceptable big crowd I enjoy being a part of is game day in Gainesville. There is great fishing and hunting here if you look. The amateur sports scene here is fun to watch. There is plenty here if you know where to look and take the time to do so. There is a solid bar scene downtown if you like that kind of thing.

My point to all of this is that bad mouthing the place where someone lives based on subjective criteria is insulting. I live here and have found plenty to do and enjoy. Having lived in many places due to the Army, I have found that every place you live will only be as enjoyable as you choose to make it. Telling someone else to avoid my town because you cannot find a way to enjoy it doesn't hurt you, but it hurts me and the town of which I live. It may not be your cup of tea, but please do not disparage me or the town of which I live.
  15. Ofg8r

Ofg8r Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +225
    Hey Duck fans, did I miss something? Are you coming east and not going to the Oregon-UVA game in Charlottesville this coming weekend.

I am afraid the football game will not be too exciting, although it should be satisfying for the Ducks. Hopefully, UVA will rise to the occasion and be competitive. The stadium in Charlottesville is a little (by SEC standards) gem. Game day in Charlottesville is always a pleasant experience, and I know the home folks will be psyched with a big time program in town. The area around Charlottesville is delightful. Of course you would only be a couple of hours, or so, from DC and your tax money if you wanted to pay a call.

(I moved from that part of Virginia to Southern California last year--don't ask why.)
  16. Gator_84_88

Gator_84_88 VIP Member VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,673
    Those Ducks are my 2nd fav team. Make sure you stop by Leonardo's Pizza on University. Great pizza and a G'Ville long standing restaurant and college fav
  17. cstgator

cstgator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +71
    Recommending Krispy Kreme and Waffle House as must-try culinary destinations is just straight up embarrassing.

For one, they're not native to Florida. They're all over the country.

For two, barf. I admit I like a fresh Krispy Kreme from time to time, but I couldn't imagine hunting down a storefront to get them when "the oven light is on." And Waffle House serves up the nastiest breakfast grub in the most unsanitary conditions. Their service staff aren't exactly professional nor do they exhibit good hygiene. We're trying to show the Oregon folks a good representation of Florida and it's culture, to include food, not the dreck of cuisine local to them.

Anyways...if you're by Orlando, a good night can be had by checking out the Enzian theater on 17-92 in Winter Park. After you can bar hop along Park Ave. The Wine Room has pour-your-own-wine and a laid back atmosphere while Dexter's has phenomenal gastropub food (this place beats the pants off Pig if you want to get bang for your buck, less pretentious too). On the Cuban tip, a trip to Los Autenticos is recommended, but it's not exactly really close by other things. It's in a blue collar area by 50 and Goldenrod. Still worth it for the amazing Cuban sandwich and Cuban breakfast. Still looking for a place that has a good Cuban here in Tampa, and they supposedly had a hand in inventing the damn things. What's with the ridiculous Italian lunchmeat in a Cuban??!

You also have to check out Clearwater Beach. It's a bit farther than the Eastern beaches but so worth it. Definitely a well-maintained, beautiful beach with a classy feel. It's simply better taken care of than a beach like Cocoa. And no vehicles allowed on the beach -- always a plus.
  18. cstgator

cstgator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +71
    I guess ignorance is bliss. See, I don't even consider the parks to be Orlando. Then again I was a lifelong resident minus 5 years in the military until I just moved 5 months ago to Westchase (Tampa). And, sorry, neither DeLand nor Sanford have much to do with Orlando.

Orlando is so much more than the parks. So much. There are really cool places to check out near Thornton Park. Lake Eola is stunningly beautiful. Downtown on Orlando is actually a lot of fun, in fact I think it's the best downtown barhopping scene in the state, there are so many bars and there's good ones for every type of crowd and age group. There are many great international restaurants; our Vietnamese cuisine on 50 is the real deal and the same quality as what you'd find in NYC. There's a number of great Italian restaurants in metro Orlando as well as superb steakhouses.

Then you have Wekiva Springs which is a great way to spend an afternoon. The water is very refreshing and the park itself is beautiful in the sense of "old Florida." Can rent kayaks, tubes, etc and have a nice lazy afternoon floating away.

You didn't get out enough if you thought Orlando was so bad. Then again, you didn't really live there, either.