Drugs are bad mmmkay...

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by ArtVandelay, Aug 6, 2013.

1. gatorchamps0607

gatorchamps0607 Always Rasta Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,911
    Yeah that Bill Gates guy sure is a dope.
  2. tim85

tim85 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,173
    Being Bill Gates doesn't mean he doesnt act dopey occasionally, or even often.
  3. tim85

tim85 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,173
    It doesn't even matter if the law is dumb, it's still a law. It's incredible how difficult that distinction is to make for some people.
  4. gatorchamps0607

Ratings Received:
    +3,911
    What exactly are we calling dopey then? To me, if you're going to say "only dopes use dope" I think thats pretty much saying only idiots use dope. There are A LOT of successful people who smoke a little (and a lot) of weed.

The lies our government feed to us are obviously working because naive individuals still act like weed is this terrible thing. These are the same people that will hypocritically crack open a beer or smoke a cigg. "Reefer Madness" is still captivating the ignorant, apparently.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Osiris_DPM

Osiris_DPM Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +872
    Ever see Pirates of Silicon Valley? I thought Anthony Michael Hall did a great job as the young Bill Gates. Noah Wyle was an awesome Steve Jobs. Much better playing Jobs than Ashton (I just think Dude Where's My Car when he talks).
  6. tim85

tim85 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,173
    Well, it depends on if acting idiotic occasionally makes someone an idiot, or if it just makes them human. The point is - just because someone is incredibly intelligent or successful, doesn't mean they can't occasionally act idiotic. Using that as a measure as to whether something is okay or not isn't all that great.

Personally, I'm for the legalization of marijuana. However, I'm an adult who understands that just because I feel strongly about something doesn't mean all of the rules are thrown out the window.
  7. gatorchamps0607

Ratings Received:
    +3,911
    Heres my problem though, weed is a plant. It's not made in a lab and its not pushed by legal drug pushers (drug reps) with side effects that include a whole mess of things that are usually worse than your current condition, some include death. You have alcohol which generally has to be created and is more destructive (by a mile) both physically and mentally than weed will ever be. It also is one of the leading causes for fatalities in this country, thats legal. You have ciggs which are also created with a bunch of nasty chemicals, which slowly kill you, again... legal.

So our government is telling me (us) that a natural plant that grows from a seed with no chemicals needed and its practically impossible to overdose or die from is illegal?

Nobody is debating the issue of it being against the rules now (as it pertains to this thread), I'm just saying from the beginning, this should have been a legal thing for anyone to grow and smoke as they see fit.
  8. MJGator8104

MJGator8104 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +133
    I think he understood the distinction as Strange was just calling for player discretion.
  9. tim85

tim85 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,173
    There's a lot to this issue - but there are a lot if things that grow on this earth, and are plants, but that doesn't make them okay. That's the part of your argument i dont quite get - there are many natural things out there, and just because they're natural that doesn't give them any more credence to be good or okay.
  10. tim85

tim85 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,173
    Yeah, i should have been more specific. I quoted him but it was more of a general message, sorry about that.
  11. gatorchamps0607

Ratings Received:
    +3,911
    You make a good point, but I think everyone (at least people who experienced it or took the time to research it) knows that weed isnt on the level of other naturally produced chemicals and drugs. Weed is just a flower that has two small side effects, hungry and relaxed. Not, may cause diarrhea, nausea, headaches, cancer death.. etc etc.
  12. tim85

tim85 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,173
    I disagree with you. I'll be honest - I've 'experimented' with weed, I mean a lot of it, over the years -- never regularly, but enough to try multiple strands with different effects, and 'anxiety' I believe marijuana can be one of the biggest contributors to anxiety, similar to caffeine. There was a study done, I believe in Austrailia, some years ago that actually had marijuana as a link to schizophrenia as well. I'm still for the legalization for it, but I don't think it's nearly as harmless as many people make it out to be.
  13. Osiris_DPM

Osiris_DPM Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +872
    Yeah, the plant/flower argument isn't the best one. So is the opium poppy and the coca plant. Though weed is admittedly on a different level than those two.
  14. gatorchamps0607

Ratings Received:
    +3,911
    Weed linked to schizophrenia? If weed caused any schizophrenia or major anxiety (not simply being a little paranoid, thats not the same) you were probably smoking something that was laced with something else. I've known a lot of people who smoke, A LOT... and I've never heard any of that.
  15. tim85

tim85 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,173
    I don't think it was laced, my friend. Weed has a tendency to magnify certain elements of your personality, and can also bring out certain aspects of your personality that were otherwise hidden(anxiety, schizophrenia), I want to say there are some studies that talk about this. It's one of those drugs that can affect every person differently.
  16. REM08

REM08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +702
    I dont remember specifically, but I believe research suggested there may be a link between marijuana and schizophrenic-like symptoms and not the actual disorder. I'm pretty sure this means disorganized thought and a temporary lack of harmony in the functioning of the brain due to a chemical in marijuana.

Like I said, I'm not sure, but if I'm right, this is quite different than actually being linked to the disorder itself.
  17. GatorLurker

GatorLurker Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +476
    If it wasn't for reefer JWill would have finished his one year at UF.

I wonder about the NBA MJ drug testing policies with CWebb and JWill being best of friends in Sac Town for a number of years.
  18. REM08

REM08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +702
    No offense to Noah, but when I think weed, he's one of the first bball names that comes to my mind. You'd have to wonder about how he deals with those tests in Chicago as well.

Weed is an odd issue. I'm usually pretty opinionated, but I can talk myself in and out of both sides of that argument. That's saying a lot considering how conservative I am on most issues.
  19. UFG8rGuy3283

UFG8rGuy3283 Member

Ratings Received:
    +30
    Marijuana can affect different people different ways. Obviously, if you are pre-disposed to mental illness or have exhibited tendencies of a personality disorder, you'll want to stay away from pot...and alcohol...and a multitude of other things that might magnify the problem.

Let's just briefly talk facts.

Marijuana is listed as a Schedule 1 "drug", which means it is considered worse than cocaine and almost all other prescription narcotics.

There are no recorded deaths due to marijuana intake. Period. There have been many, many deaths as a result of the drug being illegal.

Marijuana has been shown in many independent studies to be an effective treatment for many illnesses, including cancer. In fact, many children who suffer from epilepsy have been treated with oils and edibles high in CBD content (a cannabinoid in marijuana that doesn't get you "high") and it has been instrumental in preventing/eliminating the seizures associated with such.

The bottom line is this. Almost anyone who has had any real life experience with marijuana knows that in the vast majority of people, it causes relaxation, hunger and pain relief with virtually no other side effects, particularly if vaporized instead of smoked.

It should not be used while driving. It should not be used by people who have naturally addictive personalities. It shouldn't be used recreationally by minors or by people who are mentally ill.

As long as it stays illegal, it's just that and any athlete or professional who partakes when it is not allowed by their employer, deserves to feel the penalty.

Ultimately, though, I haven't heard or seen one argument that makes sense for it still being illegal.
    • Like Like x 2
  20. your_perfect_enemy

your_perfect_enemy Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,561
    Have you ever seen the back of twenty dollar bill.... on weeeeeed?
    • Like Like x 1