Driskel's sack fumbles (plural)

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by Gatuar, Sep 9, 2013.

1. southernmost

southernmost Member

Ratings Received:
    +7
    Jeff doesn't even have to dance in the pocket. He's got arm enough to just throw it away if nobody comes open, no matter where on the field he is. He just... doesn't. If he's not crushed from behind for a fumble, he's hanging on until the last second to throw into triple coverage.

Football isn't just about how you perform when everything goes right. How you perform when everything goes wrong is probably more important.
  2. reel_gator

reel_gator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +15
    Jeff is a tough hombre...he has stood tall in the pocket when rushers have been right in his face. He will be a high draft choce next year...mark my words. He has the size, speed and strength to break tackles...but he cant make wrs run correct routes or have our rbs pick up blitzs correctly. The fumble in the Toledo game was an outside blitz from either a LB/S and just wasnt picked up...he was on Jeff in a split second and of course he has had the left side of the Oline fail to block a pass rusher a few times....those things happen.

If any of you want to be concerned about something...you might wanna focus on our TE getting a PF and then standing like a statue when thrown the ball which allowed LB to slide over and slap ball away...just moving toward the qb a few feet would have prevented it...but then I dont know if the TE would have caught the pass....his brother completely false starts so badly that he was five yds downfield when ball was snapped, dropped a pass and never turned his head towards the qb even though he was 2-3yds from sidelines?

The only problem I have with our offense (other than TE or H back) is the delayed qb sneak which allowed DL to penetrate...and the lack of a quick pass scheme to thwart the pass rush...we dont seem to have any screen plays for crap....which is the easiest way to slow down a pass rush. You throw long on first down...then run second down and if its third and long...the defense remembers your long pass play and the secondary/LBs will step back more which allows the screen pass to have a chance of success.

Did Driskel have a great game? No. He threw wrong pass on a third down and went deep when # 8 had his LB beat for an easy first down. But Driskel had plenty of company in not having a great game. It happens. Some games are meant to be lost and make you shake your head. We were the better team but the best team doesnt always win....thats why they are called upsets. Give UM credit...they stuffed the line and we could not run inside and were forced into throwing more than we wanted.
  3. SmootyGator

SmootyGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +346
    I agree that it all isn't on Jeff... But I just rarely if ever, see him making plays out of nothing. If the pocket collapses, which it does quite often, it usually at best an incomplete pass. Now, I'm not saying that he has to be Michael Vick or anything, just a little bit more of turning bad plays into a small gain, etc. Full disclosure: I'm only going off of my memory... :D
  4. Swampmaster

Swampmaster New Member

Ratings Received:
    +51
    Could I get some of the stuff you are smoking?
  5. ovillegator

ovillegator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +772
    I've never played, so forgive me if this is ignorant --

When a lineman completely misses his block, like happened on 2 sacks with a fumble I watched, isn't there something that he can yell to the QB to prepare him for an open hit when the guy slips by him? Not 'look out' but some crazy word that, if JD heard it, he would know at least to pull in the ball?

Maybe you just can't in the helmet hear that well, I don't know. Or the crowd noise might not make it possible.
  6. TheGator

TheGator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,674
    Sure he can, but at the speed of the rush, crowd noise, and etc, I doubt he will hear it.
  7. Gatuar

Gatuar Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +203
    I wonder if one of the tech savy posters can put together a copulation of JD's sack fumbles. They all look exactly the same

I've never seen a QB have that many sack fumbles in a little over a year. I can count 6 off the top of my head
  8. GatorBen

GatorBen Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,458
    :whoa:

Dear god, no.
  9. Rawpimple

Rawpimple Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +52
    lol

he even fumbles in the sack
  10. LTG61

LTG61 Member

Ratings Received:
    +37
    First there was the butt fumble. Now we have the sack fumble.

Depending on your perspective, this thread is either going downhill fast........or, has real potential.
  11. Gatuar

Gatuar Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +203
    lol whoopsie....a steaming highlight of the JD unfortunate sack....then fumble 20 feet in air triggering the ensuing 20 man piranha hunt for the live football
  12. nawlinsgator

nawlinsgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +181
    So you are either born with the skill to sense 300 pound linemen bearing down on you or you don't? That's ridiculous.
    With more experience he will get a feel for where the pocket will be as the seconds tick on.
    He didn't have much experience at it in high school as he rolled or scrambled away immediately because his linemen were so crappy.
  13. DieAGator

DieAGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +910
    Sounds like our OL cannot develop and hold a pocket consistently. Add to that a running QB that threw for 4,000 yards or less in HS and you understand why the problem. I'm curious whether rolling JD out more often would be much of a "fix"? He's a running QB, why not let him stretch the D and force difficult coverage decisions on them?
  14. gatorchamps0607

gatorchamps0607 Always Rasta

Ratings Received:
    +1,710
    I hope you find a life one day GatorEngineer. Unfortunately I feel like you will be forever alone. :(
  15. HotlantaGator

HotlantaGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +534
    No they don't. yes pass blocking is sometimes poor, but our QB drops the ball too many times.

Wonder if he has smaller than normal hands and cannot hold ball well with one hand.