Driskel's injury and QB recruiting.

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by Gatorstooth, Sep 22, 2013.

1. demosthenes

demosthenes Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,127
    I would think a redshirt would set up nicely for Florida.

2013: Tyler Murphy RSJ
    2014: Tyler Murphy RSS/Jeff Driskel RSJ (whoever beats out the other)
    2015: Jeff Driskel RSS/Will Grier RSF
    2016-18: Will Grier
  2. Ofg8r

Ofg8r Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +225
    Echoing Go2gtr. What's with these guys who have to take constant cheap shots at the coach? There has to be personal issues.

I simply refuse to believe that Muschamp, Pease or White do not put the players on the field that in their professional opinion, give the Gators the best chance. What the hell are people like ThePlayer trying to suggest? Is there supposed to be some relationship between the coaches and Jones and Brown that is keeping Taylor off the field? Did they recruit K. Taylor just so they could make his life miserable? After three games into his career?

What a bunch of old fashioned, stinking BS
    • Like Like x 2
  3. philnotfil

philnotfil Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +723
    Except for on defense. They do a great job of getting the players on the field on defense, even as freshman.
  4. 4everaGator

4everaGator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +29
    How many carries has Taylor been given in the first 3 games? I think it is ok to question, this is a message board and we should be allowed opinions. We saw Gillislee hardly sniff the field all those years while looking like a beast when given the rock; then, when he finally got the starting role as a senior he became the first 1000 yd rusher at Florida in almost a decade. Guess some are saying, give the kid a chance.
  5. Matthanuf06

Matthanuf06 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +17
    Honestly Jeff's play wasn't good enough to scare off any QB recruit especially given the fact odds are Jeff will not have played for nearly 2 seasons.
  6. grumpy_gator

grumpy_gator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +74
    Sure it is ok to question, but what purpose does it serve to endlessly take cheap shots at the coaches about these things and continually question their qualifications and even intelligence on the decision of when and how to utilize a true freshman running back?

IMHO, a person can question the decision without denigrating the coaches.

If all people were saying was "give the kid a chance" I would have no problem with it. I want to see what the wonderkid can do as much as anybody.
  7. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +7,793
    That's the thing... tone and context matter. And while we can certainly question as fans, none of us know what these coaches know... either about how to coach the game, or specifically how ready our players are, or whether there are issues we don't know about holding back playing time (practice habits, off field issues, etc).

For instance, I don't know what D-Rob got a game off for, but clearly there was something the coaches felt they needed to discipline. And that's a shame for the team as well as D-Rob, but it's the right thing to do in the big picture.
  8. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,077
    Exactly. We can have tons of amicable disagreements here because, after all, that's the fun of these boards. But the direct attacks or condescending remarks toward coaches and players is what evokes such a vociferous response at times, of which I am most guilty. Everyone here would love to see what Taylor can do, but that doesn't mean coaches are imbecilic for not giving him the shot, nor does it mean that they can't evaluate talent well because they started Driskel over Murphy or Jones over Brown or what have you. These are judgment calls and coaches on the basis of what they see in practice, film room, meeting room, etc., to determine the players who merit those opportunities. They don't always make the right call, but no one days, and they aren't stupid for failing to make the right call.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. geauxgator1

geauxgator1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,753
    I don't think Grier is running from anybody. Anywhere he goes he will face issues with other players vying for PT.
  10. regurgigator

regurgigator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,132

I love going on a thread and seeing someone write exactly what I was thinking of writing! Rep to you! :wave:
  11. regurgigator

regurgigator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,132
    Hmmmmmm. ThePlayer's theory is sounding so much more plausible now! :bored:

But if Taylor's not in because he's a freshman, then what's the excuse for Murphy who is older than Driskel? Hmmmmmmm. Fascinating :roll:

Here's my "grand" theory! ThePlayer actually doesn't want the Gators to win either (just like Champ), and he constantly makes these charges hoping that talented recruits will read it and see the profound logic of it all....and, of course, go elsewhere.

I think my theory makes just as much sense as his.... (they are out there) :smoke:
  12. MaceoP

MaceoP Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +431
    They play Driskel over Murphy when Driskel was a freshman. They play Matt Jones over Mack Brown when Matt Jones was a true freshman. Now they don't want to play Kelvin Taylor over Jones or Brown because he is a freshman.. They being the coaches.

Do any of you realize how ridiculous this all sounds.
  13. gatorsfan530

gatorsfan530 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,445
    That he has absolutely no clue about football
  14. tommyuf21

tommyuf21 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +969
    Will Grier or any other highly touted high school QB recruit is not concerned about Jeff Driskel in the least.

If anything, having Jeff for another year only makes the new guy look even better.