Driskel takes too much time to throw it

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by ncbullgator, Sep 1, 2013.

1. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,695
    That is exactly what should impress you. It means Driskel was checking down to open receivers.
  2. HotlantaGator

HotlantaGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +377
    Leave it to Gator fans to find the negative in completing 77% of your passes...

Yeah it really sucks that it "seemed like every throw was to an open receiver with a huge window."
  3. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,695
    There is some truth to this. A quick slant is great against man coverage or as a hot read against the blitz, but the zone dog stuff really was the death knell for the offenses that used it a lot, like the West Coast systems.
  4. revthejedi

revthejedi Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +118
    /thread
  5. GatorSean

GatorSean Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +514

So you're only impressed when the QB throws it into tight coverage? :no:

The 'huge window' is created by Jeff finding the open guy.
  6. mac4lyfe

mac4lyfe Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +570
    I hear this many times. How do you show your hand from one game to another? What does opening it up mean? Throwing down field? What does throwing downfield have to do with showing your hand???

If you take 1 shot downfield does that mean you're showing your hand? If you take 20 shots downfield does that mean you're showing your hand too? I do not understand the comment.

7. raquetclub

raquetclub Member

Ratings Received:
    +1
    The obvious implication being that better defenses force tougher throws and tighter windows so the jury is still out on our ability to be an effective passing team against better defenses.

Maybe we CAN do that, but tossing easy throws around against Toledo isn't evidence of that ability, people are inferring too much from that cupcake game IMO.
  8. PIMking

PIMking New Member

Ratings Received:
    +895
    Can I make a thread complaining about something else?
  9. gatrfanzz

gatrfanzz Member

Ratings Received:
    +1
    First game. I think we will see a much better outing against um. That said I thought he did a fairly good job. I found more to talk about from the receivers. But, boy Showers is going to be a go to guy soon.
  10. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,695
    I don't necessarily disagree with you. But again I think what you can take away from this game was Driskel's decision making: he was making the proper reads and getting it to the open guys. Sure, those openings will get smaller and smaller, but you don't go 17-22 on your first reads. You could tell a great majority of them were chekdowns, which is why it seems that Driskel's release was so slow.
  11. raquetclub

raquetclub Member

Ratings Received:
    +1
    Agreed.
  12. GatorByte

GatorByte Member

Ratings Received:
    +2
    I guess I was one of the few that apparently understood what you were trying to get across. It does at times seem that there are far too many here that purposefully confuse the term "wide open" with "open" to airbrush the deficiencies of our passing game.

People that are expecting a day to come in this conference where we regularly have 1-3 wideouts running free with nobody around for 5+ yards are going to be consistently disappointed. I agree that we need to have the ability to hit the deep WR that only has a step on the DB, or the one on the come back with the DB right to his outside... or over the top on the fade to the endzone with close coverage, etc.
  13. DieAGator

DieAGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +896
    My only question would be, was JD missing the opportunity to get the ball to the primaries then throwing to the check down? I was watching on the net and couldn't see the entire field.
  14. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,695
    That's a fair question and I wasn't at the game to see either, but it wouldn't make a ton of sense that he would miss his first read yet somehow have time to check down and find others that were wide open.
  15. FunnGunn

FunnGunn Member

Ratings Received:
    +5
    Is this real life?
  16. GATORAZ

GATORAZ Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,293
    he said they were playing off and keeping the safeties deep so you could not go over the top so he took what they gave him
  17. FunnGunn

FunnGunn Member

Ratings Received:
    +5
    And to expand on that, it's Driskel doing what he's coached to do and making the right presnap reads and getting the offense into the correct play. And he did a great job at this yesterday although it's not usually something a QB gets credit for.
  18. Ofg8r

Ofg8r Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +225
    Well, it would have been really difficult to toss throws around against anyone else yesterday. So, we will just have to wait and see.

I just know that he could have easily been 10 or 20 out of 22, and the one ball he went deep was thrown perfectly. I will savor that thought until it is demonstrated that he cannot throw into tight coverage, or cannot get rid of the ball quickly.

I will repeat a comment I made on another post. The right side of the OLINE was a patchwork. Maybe they did not want to hang Driskel out when they weren't sure what they had there. One thing for sure, they had not worked together under game conditions. Noticed that Koehne and Silberman were alternated, so maybe they were not too happy with the combos.. There was one missed assignment that got him sacked-stripped. I don't know if it was really the line or RB, and doubt that many do.

I thought the first half yesterday was pretty fine. I had to leave, and was surprised that the score was not a lot higher at the end since they seemed to be cruising. But, after watching the tape, the second half looked a lot like a Gator-Mushchamp team when the game is well in hand. Vanilla, and maybe a little loss of focus with penalties.
  19. qwghlmgator

qwghlmgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +152
    His two throws to Burton were beautiful reads against that zone where Trey ran a great route and the sat down in the seam and Jeff found him with a pretty ball. Both times he lofted it over the LBs and dropped it in front of the safeties just about perfectly. Jeff threw the ball right on time and - as evidenced by the touch on it - didn't rush the throw. Those two throws (and one of the check downs to Ajagbe) were all a Gator fan needs to see IMO to be excited about where Jeff is after the first game.

I'd take Jeff's performance yesterday over McCarron's. McCarron better find another receiver than Cooper.
  20. socraticsilence

socraticsilence New Member

Ratings Received:
    +5
    Technically we don't know of he can hit them he didn't complete more than 1 or 2 passes all year that traveled more than 30 yards in the air.