Driskel takes too much time to throw it

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by ncbullgator, Sep 1, 2013.

1. GatorLaw

GatorLaw Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +165
    I'd like to see those kinds of plays too. But it's not like we called them and then JD screwed them up. We didn't call them so he didn't have an opportunity to run them. I wouldn't say he takes too long to throw the ball when we didn't try those kinds of plays.
  2. NorthCaptivaGator

NorthCaptivaGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +240
    Wrong, a quick score allows for many things, we NEED to open it up a bit
  3. OB1

OB1 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +37
    Think you should watched the Bama game yesterday, not that impressive throwing the ball. Just saying!

It's Great to be a Florida Gator!
  4. jmike131014

jmike131014 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +29
    really.. johnny football mechanics are terrible. In that game yesterday when he did play he had all day to throw the ball or ran around forever.. we will see if he does it again this year against the stronger sec teams.... I would say if we played them this year he wouldn t put up great numbers. Driskel is doing what he is asked to do and i will take a win anyday...
  5. red4512

red4512 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +193
    Whnever someone ends anything with "Just sayin."

They usually arent saying much.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. xenythx

xenythx Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +367
    I kind of see what your saying. He's making much quicker decisions than last year and he's not holding onto the ball that long, he just seems to wait until the wide receiver has finished his route and exposes his numbers before he feels comfortable throwing it. Going forward he's gonna have to make anticipation/timing throws where he trusts his receiver and lets it go before the WR makes his break if we want to have a successful downfield passing game.

One thing that does worry me a little is that a handful of his passes seemed to take awhile to get to the receiver. He's supposed to have one of the strongest arms in the country but several of his passes were lacking the zip I was expecting and compare to other QBs. Still completions so can't complain too much but he needs to put a little more velocity into some of his throws which he should be more than capable of.
  7. GatorByte

GatorByte Member

Ratings Received:
    +2
    Jeff is going to be a very good QB for us. It might be time to just accept the possibility that he may never develop the elite awareness or game management skills that guys like Bridgewater, Boyd, or Manziel have. Every QB has a ceiling, and there is still plenty of things Jeff does very well.

As long as he keeps winning games for us, I'm happy. Yesterday was a solid win.
  8. mikehev

mikehev Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +249
    I disagree with the title of this thread. Here are my observations:

1- He did not hold on to the ball too long.

2- He was going through his progressions and often completed to his 2nd or 3rd option. This was a HUGE improvement. He didn't lock on to one target.

3- He was 17 of 22 passing (77% completion rate). Of the 5 incompletions, 3 were drops. He was only sacked twice, one of which was a missed assignment, the other of which, someone on the OL just got beat (it happens).

The argument that he holds the ball too long does not seem substantiated at this point.

In Christ forever,
    Mike
    John 3:16
  9. GATORAZ

GATORAZ Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,289
    last weeks thread title " Driskel does not go through his progressions"

this weeks thread title " Driskel holds the ball to long" (we dont want him going through his progressions)
  10. tim85

tim85 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,003
    I don't think the quick throws someone mentioned from Boyd earlier really has anything to do with the QB's, it's more to do with the play-calling. That's just Clemson's offense. Our offense isn't typically predicated on those quick-timing throws, but I'm sure someone else has already mentioned this.
  11. Matthanuf06

Matthanuf06 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +17
    We aren't talking deep passes. We are talking about the ball traveling 10 yards downfield. Our passing game is east and west, with the ball traveling maybe 5 yards down the field.
  12. tim85

tim85 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,003
    If Patton makes that catch, and the two fumbles weren't fumbles - that would be three times we would have probably gone over 10 yards. Muschamp just said on his show, "I wish we would have gone downfield a little more with our offense, and if Patton makes that catch..."
  13. GatorByte

GatorByte Member

Ratings Received:
    +2
    The only thing I'm worried about seeing in conference play is the ball thrown well short of the first down marker on 3rd and long, with the apparent expectation the runner will pick it up after the catch. It's one thing if that is the only option, it's another if it is the easy option. Elite SEC teams will shut that down much of the time imo.
  14. Nubla

Nubla Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +20
    He looks improved. His throwing motion is still ever the overhand windup though. Whatever it looks good when he launches it.
  15. GatorBait19

GatorBait19 Member

Ratings Received:
    +1
    I agree they went into yesterday's game with a plan. Everyone (coaches and players) seem satisfied with what they did. Miami will get a different look with a much bigger play book. No need to show your hand against toledo.
  16. HotlantaGator

HotlantaGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +373
    That's not all on the QB, if Driskel took a quick 3 step drop and threw it, its an incomplete if the routes being run by the pass catchers aren't coming out of their break and positioned to receive the throw..

it didn't look like Driskel was late delivering the ball, the guy completed 77% of his passes, the only conclusion you can draw is that Driskel's timing is in sync with his pass catchers and his "slow" timing is what the OC wants...
  17. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,683
    Compared to some, Driskel has a slow release. No doubt. But it doesn't help that our receivers aren't exactly the fastest getting off the line and into their breaks. What impressed me yesterday was how effectively he checked down. You don't go 17 of 22 and 10 of your first 11 throwing to your first read.
  18. Gatorologist

Gatorologist Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +56
    Regardless of player improvements or game plan I lament the demise of the slant in Florida football. Be it our offense, our players or their defenses we just don't seem to use this enough to pull the LBs/DB's in so the outside and backend are open. I would settle for quick ins, something that didn't work on a geological timeframe.
  19. GATORAZ

GATORAZ Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,289
    I was actually thinking about this a few days ago. With all the exotic blitz's now I just dont think it is a smart play call. Seems like you are just asking for a pick 6 by a LB or DE dropping back. I would really only call is on the goal line
  20. raquetclub

raquetclub Member

Ratings Received:
    +1
    I am honestly not impressed by 17 of 22 because it seemed like every throw was to an open receiver with a huge window.

We are just conservative and the coaches don't think we need to attempt riskier throws when our defense and time of possession are controlling the game.

I don't love it but it makes sense and has been winning.