Double Standard

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by bludigal, Jul 22, 2013.

1. bludigal

bludigal New Member

Ratings Received:
    +2
    So, I if you bark at a police dog you are interfering with an officer, If you shoot a police dog you are killing an officer.

So why is it so easy for police to kill your dog?

If you love animals you don't want to watch this. Also my 2 cents the cops weren't arresting the guy because the "music" was disturbing them. Him blatantly video taping them was disturbing them.

If that was your dog what would you think would be the appropriate punishment for killing your dog?

http://youtu.be/WDBZr4ie2AE
  2. JerseyGator01

JerseyGator01 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +539
    Cops are just government workers with guns.
  3. orangeblueorangeblue

orangeblueorangeblue Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,726
    This highlights another double standard. We're all allowed to hate cops for this reason, but isn't the same technically true of the military?

My stance is both have extraordinarily dangerous, difficult jobs and I'm willing to afford some special privileges to protect them. As for potential abuses, I think any time an animal is killed by a cop it should get some serious review.
  4. Emmitto

Emmitto VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +448
    I consider my dogs as much a part of my family as cops consider them part of the force. I'm all for treating K9's like cops (except that I don't have an inherent distrust of the dogs.) Likewise, if you shoot my dog then you should have to justify it just as much as you would have to justify shooting a human member of my family. Their K9s aren't "just dogs" to them and mine aren't to me.
    • Like Like x 3
  5. bludigal

bludigal New Member

Ratings Received:
    +2
    So, what is the police officer supposed to do when a dog charges him?
  6. orangeblueorangeblue

Ratings Received:
    +2,726
    Yeah see this is a no-win situation. It isn't the dog's fault, but the officer needs to protect himself.
  7. bludigal

bludigal New Member

Ratings Received:
    +2
    And the only way to protect one's self is with a gun? And there are people who are arguing against SYG laws?
  8. Emmitto

Emmitto VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +448
    Choose from the same options he'd have if a person charges him, and then face the same scrutiny afterwards. I don't know how this turned out although I'm aware that it's a YouTube sensation, but I'm guessing that they called someone to scrape the dog up like road kill and called it a day. I mean it's "just a dog." A dog that was just walking down the street presumably with other people without lunging at them. We can all see the video and make up our own minds. But even if it's justified then I think he should be forced to go through the motions of making the case that he feared for his life or limb.

Here's what they far too often think of your pet:

http://rt.com/usa/elmonte-cop-pitbull-shot-435/

What about that? Why should the cops be able to show up on my own lawn and blast my dog because of a gut feeling? In this case, there's an investigation, and rightfully so. But we'll see how it goes.
  9. Spurffelbow833

Spurffelbow833 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,260
    The dogs are also reacting to a menace.
  10. orangeblueorangeblue

Ratings Received:
    +2,726
    Protecting one's self with a gun is not the guiding principle of SYG. We've had that on the books for as long as we've been a state.
  11. wgbgator

wgbgator Sub-optimal Poster Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,409
    Make cops wear those bite suits. They won't be able to run after criminals, but based on the cops I've seen, they arent doing all that much running as it stands. :)
  12. gtr2x

gtr2x Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +487
    Yea, the cops running around in tv shows rarely match up well with the guys giving us tickets. Bad PR for the local guys.

As for the dog, tough call, but the benefit of the doubt will always go to the cop.
  13. bludigal

bludigal New Member

Ratings Received:
    +2
    My point is the cops should have to be justified in shooting a dog just as they would a person. I don't think they are justified in shooting the dog.

If you can't shoot my child for charging you then you shouldn't be able to shoot my dog.

I really don't get how the cops can shoot you for driving in their general direction either Those laws seem a little loose. We give them the benefit of the doubt cause they wear a uniform. But if I thought someone who hit me with their car would we trust average joe citizen's judgement that it wasn't an accident.

If we don't reign in the police now, it won't get easier down the road.
  14. Gatormb

Gatormb Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +785
    Even if the dog is named Trayvon?
  15. Gatormb

Gatormb Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +785
    Ditto previous post.

Edit. Don't know why I did that twice. Point is GZ needed to protect himself and because TM doubled back it was his fault. Not really the point of this thread though. Sorry.
  16. Emmitto

Emmitto VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +448
    Then we largely agree, although I generally would consider an adult Rottweiler more of a threat than your child (assuming we're talking an actual child, and you haven't raised a demon :geek:)

If anything a person who has a job that entails discharging guns in public should be held to at least the same standard as an ordinary citizen, and that includes firing it at pets.

With only this video to go on and the authority to do so, I'd begrudgingly conclude that no egregious injustice has occurred, as it relates to the dog. That is to say that I couldn't in good conscience officially punish the cop for shooting the dog as it is POSSIBLE the dog was coming after him (if you watch the video closely, the dog's lunge is actually up and not at the cop, only after he reaches out for the dog.)

Of course that doesn't address the real catalyst of the dog getting involved anyway, which was insisting that the owner "face up" to his outrageous crime, which appears to be videoing those cops standing down the block. They immediately handcuff him. If he'd been standing there uncuffed as I believe he should've been, then he'd have controlled the dog. But I suppose that minor point is for another thread.
  17. oldgator

oldgator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +139
    one big difference---current laws in America make a clear differentiation between a service animal(police dogs, seeing eye dogs, police horses, bomb and drug detecting dogs, etc) that have received specialized training and are serving a legally recognized need(guidance for a blind person, or another tool for law enforcement)----and animals that are either pets or strays. That though pets and strays are cute, cuddly, and may be like family to people or have specialized training(hunting dog) ----those traits/skills are not legally recognized as essentials at the level of service animals(seeing eye dogs, police dogs/horses, etc).

Of course you complainers about the current status of service dogs compared to other animals(including pets) are free to start a petition for a new law to gain similar legal standing for your pets as are accorded to service animals.

Chances are most people will laugh in your face when you present such a petition to them
  18. wygator

wygator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +760
    Is it Ok to bark at a police dog if it barks at you first?

Don't tasers work on dogs?
  19. bludigal

bludigal New Member

Ratings Received:
    +2
    I think the majority of people would understand caring about pets. I have heard they are like children until you have children. SO I am thinking most people wouldn't laugh at having their pets afforded protection.

Sorry, I don't think a cop should be able to shoot a dog. Tackle it, restrain it, take a picture I don't give a f*ck. But kill it? Why do they get paid so much and not have to do any work? They can tase you rather than chase you, tasers are lethal and that is why decent municipalities have banned them.

Sorry, the police at this point as a rule of thumb are under qualified, over compensated and from my experience typically full of crap. But hey, gotta love that thin blue line, and they do a great service and are heroes, blah, blah, blah.
  20. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,868
    Stun gun...pepper spray...baton are all non lethal options