Dooley: SEC fights drought of teams in NCAA tourney

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by FranceGator, Jan 30, 2014.

1. FranceGator

FranceGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +347
    I won't comment on the general opinion of coverage by the Sun's columnists, except to give credit where credit is due. Dooley's article is well-done, with a decent range of quotes from various sources, a little diving back through history with relevant stats and trends, and the right amount of opinion/analysis.

The part with numbers about the South producing quality BB recruits, as well as the NCAA performance of current SEC coaches at their previous schools, were both angles I hadn't considered.
  2. maxgator

maxgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +485
    Thanks for posting. He makes some very good points about the state of SEC basketball and its causes. One thing that stood out, of course, is that as passionate as the SEC is about football, that doesn't carry over into basketball. I know so many supposedly die hard gator football fans who couldn't name our starting point guard or tell you who skywalker is, it is not even funny.

I'm glad at least that the administration is taking steps to get the students into the games instead of there being tons of empty seats, yet people looking for tickets outside.
  3. tegator80

tegator80 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,963
    Thanks for posting. I didn't see anything earth shattering in the article, it seems to be more about a lull in quality players in the south as much as anything. And then it touches on a general lack of buzz and meh coaches.

I guess I would ask, other than a few athletes who could play any sport and the south pushes them towards football, can anyone say that the good ones are leaving the south or at least that the ACC teams are doing better at getting them? I am not talking about the elite talent but quality guys who can make a nice team that is tournament worthy.
  4. jmac83

jmac83 Member

Ratings Received:
    +132
    I can't speak knowledgably about the rest of the South, but I live in Atlanta and the quality of HS basketball is high and doesn't seem to have fallen off. I've wished UF had a higher recruiting profile in the state, particularly since Georgia has done an awful job of protecting its backyard for years and is out-recruited by Ga Tech despite its tougher academics. That's one factor Dooley's piece doesn't explore: Vulnerability to recruiting from outside the region, and perhaps losing assistant coaches who are impactful recruiters.
  5. maleko83

maleko83 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +110
    My first thought when I reading the first paragraph of the article was "I hope TV coverage is on their list." I'd like to see what the numbers are for "second-tier" SEC teams appearing on ESPN and CBS, compared to second-tier schools from other conferences. (This is a chicken/egg argument; is TV coverage better for second-tier schools when the product is better, or is the product better because second-tier schools get great TV coverage?) Turning on ESPN during the week, I feel like I've seen more Maryland and West Virginia games on ESPN this year than I've seen of the second-tier SEC schools. Maybe the SEC Network will help with that.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. 08gatorbait

08gatorbait Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +968
    Why does everyone hate Dooley...I mean he isn't incredible but the guy is pretty good. My only issue is he attacks us as fans a little much which is annoying but it doesn't mean he doesn't make good arguments or points in other areas.
  7. HallGator

HallGator Administrator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,681
    While I don't disagree totally with what is being said in the quote below I do believe our fan base for bb is growing. Teams like Kentucky have been building their base for a very long time and Florida will not just magically reach the proportions many of us would like to see. In my own case while my son is not as big of a bb fan as he is a football one he is a fan and attends games. I keep him informed and now that he has a son we will bring him into the the basketball fold. This is the kind of things it will take to make a long term difference in how bb is viewed by our fans.

Also the schools move to include more of the student body is long overdue and will also, imo, reap good rewards in the future. Of course winning cannot be discounted and that is why we are so fortunate to have Billy as our head coach.

8. Jonas

Jonas Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +727
    While the talent in the South is no where near as good as football, I see no reason why it isn't good enough for the SEC to be as good as the other power conferences.
  9. missourigator

missourigator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +135
    Easy, if you look at the 2014 McDonald's all Americans from Florida and the south. All but one when to the ACC. Heck Duke got two from Florida by themselves. These players are not going to SEC schools.
  10. tommyuf21

tommyuf21 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +980
    Fan support is pretty bad at close to half of the SEC schools. I though the turnout at Bama was terrible. They are the second winningest program in league history (not by that much, mind you), but you would think that there has been enough success to have developed a decent fan base.

The bottom half of the league doesn't appeal to that many kids. Sadly, I don't see that changing.

What we need to see is more consistency out of the good (but not great programs), so we can secure more bids. LSU, UT, Missouri and even Arky and Ole Miss have NCAA tourney caliber talent, but too often stub their toes against inferior teams. If those five got their acts together, we would be looking at 6 bids and noone would have anything to complain about.
  11. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +8,509
    That hoops team in Tuscaloosa is gonna have to make a few Walmart tours with national title hardware if they want people to show up for games. ;) Or at least Waffle House with NIT bling.

Kidding aside, I think Arky, Mizzou, LSU and UT are the key programs. They all have fairly recent tradition as successful programs and there is no reason they shouldn't be able to step up and be top 25 type teams fairly consistently. Bama and Ole Miss at the next level probably.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. tommyuf21

Ratings Received:
    +980
    I was shocked to discover that Bama is a top 30 program in wins. Then I looked back to see that Bama is tied with LSU with the third most NCAA bids (20) in the SEC. Arky is second, but an argument can made that 16 of their 29 bids were in the old Southwest Conference. All but one of Mizzou's 26 were in the Big 8/12.

Just in case anyone cares, as of today, here's the win totals.

1) Kentucky 2128
    2) Alabama 1579
    3) Missouri 1571
    4) Arkansas 1569
    5) Tennessee 1541
    6) Vandy 1522
    7) LSU 1458
    8) Mississippi State 1333
    9) Georgia 1324
    10) South Carolina 1319
    11) Texas A&M 1317
    12) Florida 1308
    13) Auburn 1258
    14) Ole Miss 1213
    • Informative Informative x 2
  13. SmootyGator

SmootyGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +887
    Interesting list. Looks like we can get up to 8th fairly quickly.... Maybe like 5-10 Years.... I don't think we'll get any higher than that in my lifetime! :D
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. tommyuf21

Ratings Received:
    +980
    The next four are not that far away. Our winning percentage is quite a bit higher than TAMU, S. Carolina and both of the Mutt teams.

Both UF (93) and Arky (91) are the only two SEC schools with fewer than 100 seasons of competition.
  15. RD_gator

RD_gator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +187
    My gosh, looking at that list tommyuf21, can you imagine how low Florida was on that list before Donovan or even Kruger/Sloan was at the helm? Right now, Florida is more than 800+ games away from the all-time winningest program, Kentucky!

Under Donovan, Florida has been winning basketball games at a torrid pace.
    Someone from the Gvlle Sun should do an indepth analysis of how far the program has come.
  16. RD_gator

RD_gator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +187
    Actually, the historical basketball programs in the SEC besides Kentucky have been LSU, Alabama and Tennessee. Mississippi St and Vanderbilt have had their pockets of success as well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Southeastern_Conference_champions#Men.27s_Basketball