Don't know When or If Walker Will Play--But Know This

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by bbreece1, Dec 28, 2013.

1. bbreece1

bbreece1 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +318
    If he isn't able to be injected into the rotation, we are not getting out of the Elite 8. I know many of you will consider the Elite 8 a crowning achievement but for a 2 time National Champion it is not the end all. This team needs Walker's play around the basket and his rebounding and shot blocking presence, We can't really beat the really BIG BOYS with 2 guys who can't finish from point blank range. I know we will hear all the script about learning the sets and not getting lost--BUT if he doesn't learn the sets from playing and allowing his sheer ability to overcome the occasional breakdown, we have to chance to be all we desire. I believe everyone knows that in his or her heart. He may be gone if he plays 10 games anyhow so no use saving him for the Prom if the dance never comes.
    • Dislike Dislike x 4
    • Disagree Disagree x 4
  2. Bradass

Bradass Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +853
    He'll play against Richmond so this whole thread is moot
  3. gatordavisl

gatordavisl Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,598
    The Gators are capable of making it to the NC game with or w/o Walker, though Walker gives them a better chance. They are also capable of losing in the second round. I don't know who the "two guys who can't finish from point blank range" are. Young and Yeguete currently have low FG%s, but I expect that to improve throughout the season. Both are able to finish from point blank range. I don't find any benefit in worrying about whether Walker can learn the sets, either. If he can, he'll contribute and if not, Billy will not put him on the floor. I prefer to look forward to the things he can and will contribute. And when that occurs, Billy will not have any concern for saving him for the prom. ;)
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. wpgator

wpgator Member

Ratings Received:
    +24
    Ludicrous original post as this team is better than the last three teams that made the elite eight top to bottom without Walker. Everything he brings to us is a bonus, not a need. To me the most concerning thing about this team right now is simply free throw shooting. We will play some close games in the tournament and if we shoot 55% from the line, we will lose at some point. Walker's biggest benefit to this team is not that he will be an offensive juggernaut (contrary to those alleged two guys that can't finish from point blank range) but that he will block a few shots, get about 5-8 rebounds and give us another 5 fouls to use on opposing big men. Those stats, however, are bonus stats, and we are winning games without them. The free throws, however, are and will continue to be a big problem. We have to be able to hit 75% minimum consistently for us to hit our potential IMO otherwise it will bite us in the tourney at some point.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. iam4uf

iam4uf Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +373
    They need to add a "moot" button, lol.
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +594
    A few things should be pointed out...
    Patric is shooting 48% from the floor, which is pretty darned good.
    We shoot 68% from the free throw line as a team. Not great, but not bad either. We can improve on that and I believe we will as Hill gets more comfortable. Our two NC teams shot around 70%.
    After watching us in all our games so far, I believe this team is better than our last 3, and those were all very good teams. But that's no guarantee of a deep run. I've seen better teams than this lose very early in the tournament. Sometimes you just have a bad day against a lesser team that's having a great day.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Noahtogo24

Noahtogo24 Member

Ratings Received:
    +87
    This. Hell, we don't even know what Florida's bracket is going to look like. Remember nobody had us making the elite eight in 2012.
  8. tegator80

tegator80 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,915
    Chris will play some valuable minutes to give Patric and Will breathers and in case one or both gets into foul trouble. After that no one know how much he will contribute, but I am excited to find out. Not getting our bigs into foul trouble and hitting foul shots are going to be the biggest issues for moving up in the tournament, IMO.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. stingbb

stingbb Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +274
    Another fan who has no clue how difficult it is to get to an Elite 8, much less three in a row. While it is not the "end all", if this team makes it back to the Elite 8, it will be another very good season.
    • Agree Agree x 5
  10. Bradass

Bradass Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +853
    Agreed, four Elite 8's in a row would still be quite an achievement! It would be sad if it also ended that way 4 years in a row, but another Elite 8 run would still be great. I really hope these seniors can make it to the Final Four. They deserve it
    • Useful Useful x 1
  11. chompalot

chompalot Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +337
    I'm watching UK/Louisville right now. KY is killing them on the boards and with second-chance points. I sure hope Walker is the real deal because I don't think we'll beat KY without another rebounding/shot-blocking big. KY is just too big of a team.
  12. FranceGator

FranceGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +85
    Agreed. Perhaps it would be better if we alternated a NC on even-numbered years with a first-round NIT loss to Robert Morris on odd-numbered years. [wink]
  13. madgator

madgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +463
    No one had us going to the Elite 8 last year?????

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe that we were preseason top 10 and played well pretty much all season. A few typical periods of ups and downs. But we were certainly a threat to go a long way with 26 regular season wins and the reputation of being one of the best defensive teams and being one of the nations most efficient teams on offense.

As stated above, getting to the elite 8 is tough and it's hard to say it's a "guarantee" or a "sure thing" but to say that NO ONE expected us to be there is simply not true.
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  14. GatorRade

GatorRade Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +591
    This team's story is not written, with or without Walker. KenPom's rating already has us at #10, without Walker. So it is really not much of a stretch to see a top 10 team in the final four.

That said, I disagree with those that have commented that this team is better than last year's (so far). That team would probably be a 5-10 point favorite over this team on a neutral court. This team seems to have more NBA athleticism for sure, but that doesn't guarantee a win. Look at UK this year. Both UK and UF might get a lot better before March, but as of now, they aren't yet the equals of 2013.

But again, this team doesn't have to be better than last year's to make the final four, or even win the title. It just has to beat the teams in front of it. And already I think this team can compete with any other.
  15. tommyuf21

tommyuf21 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +583
    This team has a much higher ceiling, due in large part to two freshman who will only get better as the season progresses.

To the OP, I trust that Billy will have Chris Walker ready to contribute in a meaningful way before too long.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. your_perfect_enemy

your_perfect_enemy Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +811
    Don't worry the OP just likes reading what he wrote, relevancy be damned
  17. g8rvet

g8rvet Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +258
    Hey OP, hyperbole much?
  18. gatorev12

gatorev12 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,340
    As others have mentioned, getting to a 4th straight Elite 8 appearance is impressive and respectable enough in its own right. No other school in the country could match that.

But second: Walker will be a valuable addition to this team in his own good time, I've little doubt of that. But Florida has been winning and doing well against some of the nation's top teams without him; and as the season goes on and as both Hill and DeVon Walker gain more experience, we'll only continue to get stronger.
    • Like Like x 1
  19. bbreece1

bbreece1 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +318
    Dear Your, I've probably written 2,000 words. If I really wanted to read my own words, I would have probably tried to generate a couple of thousand or so responses after the last 5 years. I have just sat on the sideline reading the pontificating of such elocutionists as the former "Coach" and others. I wanted to try to make some points early this year before we have all the gnashing of teeth after another late game meltdown in an Elite 8 Game. Sure it will be a GOOD season but if everyone has neen so happy with the last 3 years why has this place resembled a psychiatric ward for a couple of weeks afterwards. You know, all the "What ifs" and "should haves."

I don't really care what Young's FG percentage is. Not a single one of you want the ball in his hands or Will's in the last minute of a close game. Do you??
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  20. Jonas

Jonas Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +363
    We could lose in the first weekend with Walker, and win the NC without him. Too much variance in a one-and-done tournament to be making any guarantees.
    • Agree Agree x 5