Donovan tops SEC coaching hierarchy

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by InstiGATOR1, Oct 17, 2013.

1. InstiGATOR1

InstiGATOR1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +75
    This is another one from Brockway. Here is the excerpt:

Here is the link:

http://www.gatorsports.com/article/20131017/articles/131019610
  2. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +695
  3. REM08

REM08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +702
    I'm no bball historian by any means, but wow. Had no idea he would have been cose to Rupp - let alone past him. With his age, he's got the option of putting up some fairly untouchable numbers before he's done. I imagine there are UK fans who won't enjoy this.
  4. InstiGATOR1

Ratings Received:
    +75
    And Donovan's surpassed 30 NCAA tourney wins in fewer games. There NCAA tourney records are:

Donovan: 31-11 or about 74%

Rupp: 30-18 or about 63%

Or put another way Donovan could make the NCAA tourney the next 7 seasons and lose in the first round and he would still have a better NCAA tourney winning percentage than Rupp.
  5. REM08

REM08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +702
    I would have to wonder if this is an apples to apples thing. Like I said, I don't know my college basketball history. But were there as many rounds back then? I think Rupp made 6 final fours and won 4 titles. Lots of elite eights too. You'd have to think this would have added up to more wins. I'm not sure though. Was there a time where the NIT was a comparable tournament too? Again, I don't know. Insti points out winning percentage which seems like more of an apples to apples comparison - although I guess less rounds would mean better teams possibly.
  6. gatordavisl

gatordavisl Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,338
    It's a fair question, but consider:
    1) You can't play more games if you don't win.
    2) Those final fours and titles did not require as many wins (i.e. they were easier to achieve).
    So, yes: a larger field offers more opportunities to rack up wins. BUT - more games offer more opportunities to lose too. A smaller field offers a shorter track to the championship. As you say, the % is a more apples/apples comparison.
  7. RD_gator

RD_gator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +184

What is so amazing is that there are very few (if any) SEC coaches that could challenge such a record! Billy Donovan is truely a legendary basketball coach! UF is very fortunate to have him.

Dale Brown from LSU is the only one who may have had a chance to be within ear shot of it. Not even other national title winning coaches from the SEC had this many NCAA wins:
    - Rick Pitino
    - Tubby Smith
    - Nolan Richardson
    - Calapari
    - Joe B. Hall
  8. InstiGATOR1

Ratings Received:
    +75
    This cuts both ways as gatordavis said. Rupp coached in the days when fewer teams got in, but in those days there were also fewer teams who legitimately could win the whole thing. Rupp never had to face the Big 10 or ACC runner up in the NCAA tourney.

Also if the NIT was a comparable Tourney that means the NCAA was watered down even more. Plus Rupp got into the NCAA tourney two years net due to other teams in the SEC turned down a bid. I doubt that is happening for Donovan any time soon.
  9. GatorRade

GatorRade Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,181
    It sort of cuts both ways, but I think REM's point is probably valid overall for both total wins and winning percentage. Less games, and less easy games against the 58th seeded team.

That said, I still think that this is a huge accomplishment for Donovan. I'm hoping that we can get that number over 50...in the next three years or so.
  10. InstiGATOR1

Ratings Received:
    +75
    So you think that if half the top teams every year went to the NIT, Donovan would not have an easier path to NCAA tourney wins?
  11. GatorRade

Ratings Received:
    +1,181
    Moreover, I was saying if the bottom teams, like Jackson St., don't make the tournament, then this is one less easy win. Are you arguing that the NIT was as competitive as the NCAA tourney?
  12. InstiGATOR1

Ratings Received:
    +75
    1. UK's 1949 road to the championship game was Columbia and Holy Cross. So while the SWAC Champs may not have been in the NCAA tourney in those days, the Ivy League champ was and so was Skyline now Big Sky champs Wyoming. One could argue that three-eights of the teams in 1949 were bottom teams. And Rupp/UK opened that year with Ivy Champs Columbia.

2. Yes the NIT was as competitive and some years better than the NCAA tourney then. That is what REM08 was saying, that is what almost every basketball historian says. Those competitive teams that were in the NIT were generally NOT in the NCAA tourney.
  13. GatorRade

Ratings Received:
    +1,181
    Well, if we are counting championships, I am definitely with you. There is obviously a tremendously greater amount of competition today, and today's national titles are much harder to come by for the top programs.

Im' not much of a sports historian, so I'll have to take your word for it. Regardless, as I said above, this is a impressive accomplishment for Donovan.