Donovan rumored to be top candidate for Timberwolves

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by TheGator, Apr 21, 2014.

1. dailydoublecat

dailydoublecat Respected Rival

Ratings Received:
    +742
    None of you really believe that he is going to leave do you? Come on now...........Billy's wife would kill him!

Jeff
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. buddhistgator

buddhistgator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +252
    I'm not sure how much of a head case he is, but I was terribly disappointed at that GIF floating around. Bad manners.

If the Clippers put three more whippings on the Warriors, it will make the axing easier. The players really like Jackson.
  3. REM08

REM08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +706

Agree. Also think the press is mainly so helpful in college because of the number of inexperienced and often mediocre point guards. Ones in the NBA wouldn't bat an eye against pressure like that.
  4. corpgator

corpgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +792
    I always same the same. You can't press high skill, high talent players. It would be a fast break lay-up/dunk lines with scores in 160's. We pressed against every team this year. You might be able to get way with in against 3 or 4, but a team like the Clippers would eat it alive with just Paul alone. Plenty of other point guards that can easily break the press single-handedly.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. yankgator

yankgator Member

Ratings Received:
    +75
    PTI said Hoiberg, Izzo and Donovan. They went on to say that Hoiberg and Izzo did not seem realistic to them.
  6. dailydoublecat

dailydoublecat Respected Rival

Ratings Received:
    +742
    Donovan sure the hell isn't realistic either! They will go with a recycled NBA coach.....they need to leave Donovan alone!

Jeff
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. tilly

tilly Superhero Moderator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,359
    Has Billy been asked to comment on the rumors?
  8. RealGatorFan

RealGatorFan Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +973
    Minnesota isn't even a lateral move. At best, it's a step down. Minnesota is a hockey state anyway.
  9. madgator

madgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +898

yeah.....even if you win, you're in minnesota

there's only like 2-3 months of the year when it is not below 50 degrees.
  10. Go2gtr

Go2gtr Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +193
    Pressing in the NBA? The NBA is all about player energy management, greatest results for least energy expended. Big difference from the college game. The opposite of Billy's game. Not that he couldn't coach differently, he may even find that as a real challenge.
  11. goneagaingator

goneagaingator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +707
    I don't think he'd leave to coach in Minnesota, but it'll probably happen eventually. That's why I just try to enjoy each year of Gator basketball.

As much as I just can't see him realistically leaving, you'd have to think that somewhere down the line he'll be "intrigued" by something enough to make the jump. But he just seems so content in Gainesville and keeps coming back.
  12. gatordavisl

gatordavisl Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,360
    Sure, its cold. But I'm not sure if that makes it one of the "5 worst jobs." The Twin Cities are one of America's best kept secrets; rich in culture, arts, education. According to this metric, Minneapolis ranks the 12th best American city (St. Paul #10), above New Orleans, Atlanta, Houston, Oklahoma City, Philly, Milwaukee, Chicago, San Antonio (I'm surprised about this one), Indianapolis, Charlotte, Dallas, Phoenix, Oakland, Cleveland and Los Angeles. Memphis, Detroit, Orlando and Sacramento were not ranked among the top 50.

Forbes ranks Minneapolis as the 17th fastest growing city.

Forbes #23 City for Business and Careers

#8 Best city to relocate to

I don't live in Minneapolis/St. Paul. I also am not suggesting Billy should take the Timberwolves job. I just do not understand your perfect enemy's suggestion that it is one of the 5 worst NBA jobs. Maybe there's something else to that?
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. tilly

tilly Superhero Moderator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,359
    @gatordavisl Perhaps it is growing so fast because it is so cold people have nothing better to do for 8 months, but to stay inside and....well....make more people....ahem. ;)
  14. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,140
    As Bill Simmons likes to put it, in one word: "Kahn."
  15. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,140
    After spending a long St. Louis winter stuck indoors with four children, let me tell you that frigid weather is no incentive to reproduce. Give yourself a manual vasectomy with scissors and dental floss, sure, but not reproduce.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. your_perfect_enemy

your_perfect_enemy Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,569
    Well I thought I explained why it's not a good job pretty well earlier and I'm not saying it's a bad city by any stretch for a normal person, but outside of Joakim how many NBA players care about a city being rich in culture, arts and education or being a a good city for business and careers?

Since you seem to to keep questioning my suggestion, name 5 NBA head coaching jobs better than the wolves
  17. GatorLurker

GatorLurker Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +484
    Minneapolis has won many pro titles.

As the Lakers.

With George Mikan.
  18. gatordavisl

gatordavisl Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,360
    If I missed your subsequent explanation, my bad. As for players caring about culture, etc. I thought we were talking about Donovan and his motivations for taking the job? I understand that the ability to attract players is tied to the coaching gig, but is not the only factor. Professionals such as Donovan might care about business and career. As for your final question, I'll assume you mean 5 worse jobs. My list would include:

1) Knicks - have been an absolute mess of a franchise. Phil might right the ship, but that's no guarantee. Has he ever been a team Prez before? Do you want to be the coach with the sage Jackson looking over your shoulder, seemingly ready to take over the reigns if you fail?

2) Philly - 19 wins/63 losses; don't need much more rationale here, but there is not a single star on the roster. They are just bad.

3) Milwaukee Bucks - 15 wins/67 losses; Milwaukee is probably a decent town, but this franchise is worse than the 76ers? Now that's bad.

4) Orlando Magic - Get to live in Mouse town, but that's no major incentive. I'd much rather live in Gainesville than Orlando. And yes, I'd live in Minneapolis over Orlando. Much richer culture. Their roster consists of players who belong on milk cartons, because nobody's seen them. Management has consistently been a failure, losing their best players to bigger markets. They are such a great franchise that they have lured the great . . . Jacque Vaughn to be their coach! Umm what? Sorry Magic fans, but your franchise is a mess.

5) Utah Jazz - their roster is a who's who of failed elsewheres. Salt Lake City is a beautiful place to visit. Would I want to move my family there? No.

Those are the first five. I'd also suggest that Houston has an appealing roster, but I'd hate living there. Toronto poses unique issues. Oklahoma City boasts a contending roster, but do you want to move there? New Orleans is a fantastic town . . . to visit. And do you want to be the coach of the Pelicans? Then there's Cleveland. You could live in Cleveland and coach the Cavs . . . or not. Memphis is good for barbeque and blues, but . . .

I think there are several NBA gigs that one could argue against. As Gator fans, we would tend to be hyper critical of any team wanting to hire BD. That's just human nature. I still disagree that the T-wolves are one of the 5 worst jobs.
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2014
  19. 08gatorbait

08gatorbait Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +968
    Billy is not moving up north. He just got Horford to transfer I doubt he does that then leaves. He is close with their family, he would have let him go elsewhere if he thought he may take an NBA job.
  20. 08gatorbait

08gatorbait Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +968
    Common sense lol. Minnesota is not better than Orlando...no one has EVER been excited about vacationing in Minnesota but Marshall from How I met. Dude the last part was just reaching. These arguments were terrible. Minnesota is in the freezing cold, not nearly the city you make it to be, a terrible franchise, their best player is about to dip out. Yes..it's easily one of the five worst jobs.