Donovan rumored to be top candidate for Timberwolves

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by TheGator, Apr 21, 2014.

1. Gatorgal04

Gatorgal04 Lowly Fan VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +233
    When he has one more year to coach with his son on the team and younger kids still in school in Gainesville? Unlikely.
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2014
  2. Colin

Colin Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +347
    I'd be surprised if he left the Gators for that job. Anyway, he seems like such an ideal college coach that it would be a shame to see him babysitting millionaires. He seems to care a lot about molding young men, and teaching. Not sure that the NBA would offer much of that for him.
  3. number1

number1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +295
    Yeah, I don't see him leaving for this job.
  4. DoubleDown11

DoubleDown11 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +74
    I don't think there's any chance Donovan takes the Minnesota job, but speaking in generally, the NBA can be a more attractive option just because there's less excess BS to deal with. No recruiting, no boosters, hopefully no parents, and no professors. Yeah there's managing egos, but for the most part it's just basketball. Think about how little of Billy's job right now is actually coaching in live games. It's less than 100 hours a year. I personally love college basketball infinitely more than the NBA, but if you put yourself in the shoes of someone who earns a living in this profession, I can see how the NBA makes sense. I've actually heard people say that the best job you can have as a basketball coach is NBA assistant. No pressure, no media commitments. All you do is draw up basketball plays.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops Guest VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +829
    This job has Hoiberg written all over it.
    • Agree Agree x 4
  6. tilly

tilly Well-Known Member

Wilmington, NC (Jax Native...raised on the Gulf)
    Ratings Received:
    +2,227
    As an Orlando fan, I will be really bummed if he ultimately chose Minnesota over Orlando as far as his NBA starting point. I was sad when he "left" the first time, but was also somewhat excited that he chose Orlando.
    Its the way I would have felt had SOS left the Gators for the Dolphins.

Again, if he chooses a team like the T-wolves, when he could have been in Orlando....
    Really....bummed.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. tilly

tilly Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,227
    Average Tenure of NBA coaches: 3.03 years.
    Median: 2.78
    Average tenure of a T-Wolves coach: 2.09 years...Nearly 30% lower than the NBA average... and thats with Flip Saunders being there for almost a decade! And includes McHale coaching there twice! Its a coaches graveyard.
  8. your_perfect_enemy

your_perfect_enemy Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +680
    No official metric but It's in a cold city that doesn't attact free agents, they don't really go over the luxury tax, they have very few assets that are worth much- Love is leaving, their pg can't shoot, their center is ok but often injured, I play better defense than kevin martin, and I'm not sold on the owner or flip saunders as a gm.

Honestly I was being kind when I said 5 worst because outside of milwuakee I struggle to come up with a job I would want less as a coach.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. tilly

tilly Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,227
    Note to Jeremy Foley, I saved you the trouble of looking it up: http://www.brinks.com
    Now do what you must.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. gulfgator

gulfgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +86

Sure there is a lot of other stuff, but you failed to mention that the NBA plays roughly THREE times the number of games, with all of the travel headaches that accompany it. Plus, while there is recruiting, it's nothing like football, Billy usually has most of his recruiting rapped up early as do most coaches in hoops.
  11. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,047
    The nba you are also a caretaker at most jobs.
    You have little say over your personnel and in many cases the star players have more power than you do.
    A couple of years ago Spoelstra had to make a deal with his team that if they played on defense he would let them basically do what they want on offense.
    That is not a BillyD type of job.
  12. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,664
    Donovan said the exact opposite when asked about it a couple of weeks ago. He essentially said that the off-season in college hoops is busier than the season because you spend so much time on the road scouting, recruiting, doing camps and clinics, speaking to boosters, league media responsibilities, etc., but very little time in the gym with the kids. So I get the feeling if he is going to spend time doing something, he would rather it be on the court (wherever that court may be), not in some high school administrator's office or sitting alongside handlers at AAU tournaments or texting some teenager.

That being said, Minnesota is a terrible gig and anyone associated with pro hoops knows it. I would be certifiably shocked if he went there.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Go2gtr

Go2gtr Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +130
    He's a candidate, not the top candidate. Here's the actual wording in the piece:

"Billy Donovan is already rumored to be a potential target. According to ESPN’s NBA reporter Marc Stein, the Minnesota Timberwolves have Donovan on their list of coaching candidates to replace Rick Adelman."

How we get "top candidate" out of that I don't know.
    • Boring Boring x 1
  14. themistocles

themistocles Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +360
    We hear this type of talk every year. Opposing coaches use it as a recruiting tool.

So, what else is new.
  15. IowaGator

IowaGator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +190
    I think Donovan stays for a long long time!

I also think Fred stays in Ames for a long long time as well. I think he becomes a Donovan, Izzo style coach. Meaning 1-2 head coaching jobs in his career.

He loves Ames, grew up there, his wife grew up there, both sets of parents live there, kids are young and can see family all the time. I think Fred is a throwback and stays a long time.

Plus Saunders has already said it is not the time for Hoiberg.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. buddhistgator

buddhistgator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +252
    Mark Jackson will be available in about a week or so if the T-Wolves are patient.

Edit: Come to think of it. Billy would be a great replacement for Jackson at Golden State. No head cases on that team.

He might have to give up his style of play though. I don't see running a press being that effective against the skill level in the NBA and doing it when you play back to backs on the road.
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2014
  17. REM08

REM08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +597
    I suspect that's just his preferred style in college. I don't think he'd have to give it up in the NBA, I think he'd happily choose to adjust and bet he'd be pretty flexible depending on his roster.
  18. corpgator

corpgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +744
    Minnesota is beautiful in the non-winter months and he'd be coaching during the winter anyway. Plus, I imagine he'd get more vacation time with them never making the playoffs and not having to deal with recruiting.
  19. BA69MA72

BA69MA72 Member

Ratings Received:
    +36
    The only head case seems to be the owner. Firing Jackson this year would bring back memories of Steinbrenner
  20. buddhistgator

buddhistgator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +252
    I think the shot clock, skill level, and particularly fitness and depth in the NBA would make pressing less viable.

UF wins the attrition battle largely by virtue of having a deeper bench of fitter players. Those advantages disappear in the NBA.
    • Agree Agree x 1