Donald Sterling is an idiot

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by ThePlayer, Apr 26, 2014.

1. ThePlayer

ThePlayer VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,907
  2. 08gatorbait

08gatorbait Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +968
    Only thing I disagree with is you don't own sports teams for profit. These guys are some of the richest people in the world. Owning a sports team is like owning a Ferrari, you buy it because you can, not because it's a great investment. There are much wiser ways to invest your money than buying a Sports Franchise(though at the time Sterling purchased it was a bargin compared to now so he did in fact gain huge profit, but most really don't make a ton). So I doubt many owners few their players as pawns. Sterling maybe, but most of them I highly doubt it.

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/15356/the-business-of-owning-an-nba-team-in-2010
  3. cocodrilo

cocodrilo Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +752
    The NAACP is now going to give him its new Lifetime Achievement in Racism Award. But it has asked his girlfriend not to bring him to the ceremony.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. RayGator

RayGator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,377
    I'm glad to see your post on this. As I mentioned on the other thread about Sterling, I heard this being discussed on of the ESPN networks. Evidently he does have a history doing this. Yet, until now it certainly hasn't had such media attention. And then of course as I mentioned on there is there is so much hypocrisy about all of this by those that knew. Most bizarre about this is that a couple of years or so ago the NAACP gave Sterling some sort of achievement award. And they were set to do it again in a couple of weeks. Well, of course now they cancelled it. OK, but why with Sterlings history of these remarks did he get an award from the NAACP in the first place? And why no outrage
    by the NAACP and others in the past who knew his history of these types of remarks? Obvious answer, MONEY. Sterling also has a history of giving the NAACP large contributions. So as long as he gave the money, they looked the other way. And he felt he was getting pass, which of course he did.

Now then, back to the title on this thread in the beginning, if Sterling is an Idiot in all of this, which he is. Then what should we call those in the media, the NBA and yes, the NAACP, who knew the history of his remarks and just turned the other way ? It sort of reminds me of the Sandusky scandal at Penn State. Comes out late that so many seemed to know his behavior but just looked the other way.
  5. corpgator

corpgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +749
    Except NBA franchises are a great investment and have been for a long time. Franchise values seem to double every 5 years these days.

I thought the Clippers' protests were pretty mild, but can you blame them for getting those checks (Although they don't really get any more but a playoff share and would be breaking contract by not playing), but they seem to be taking a collective dump on Sterling with their play right now.
  6. g8orbill

g8orbill Gators VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +8,628
    Idiot is an understatement

you cannot hide who you are forever

however it is important to know that this young lady is being sued by the Sterling family for embezzlement of 1.8 millions dollars and she has publicly vowed to get even with them so it is possible that this tape was doctored
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2014
    • Informative Informative x 2
  7. MichiGator2002

MichiGator2002 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,775
    Doctored seems like more work than just setting him up to be pissed off about bigoted garbage and then taping it *shrug*.

Anyone else find themselves rooting for the Clippers a bit? Sterling makes his money either way -- for players and coaches, though, a run at a title is career defining. I like Doc Rivers. I like Griffin and Paul. They have had a helluva year and they don't deserve to have their hard work flushed amidst distraction because their team is owned by an asshat. I kinda hope they go all the way, that Silver bars Sterling from the trophy presentation, and that the whole thing is compared to Jesse Owens at the '36 Olympics.
  8. ballermd

ballermd New Member

Ratings Received:
    +2
    Owning an NBA isn't a wise investment? Ha! OK. Yeah, I'm sure some owners didn't buy a team just for the money they can generate (because I guess if I were a billionaire I'd buy my favorite childhood team if I could mostly for nostalgia reasons). However, let's be real, the prospect of earning some major dough from owning an NBA team certainly isn't lost on any of these owners, no matter what their initial reason was for purchasing the team. Furthermore, tell me what multi-million/billion dollar investment doesn't carry huge risk? Is the NBA the exception? Even the most sound business opportunities can turn in to a bust, but I'm sure every owner that buys an NBA team desires to see a nice ROI (again) regardless of initial reasons behind the purchase. Even the article you posted states: "The role of owner is about money..." and while other reasons do factor into ownership, money is the common denominator.

Also, sorry to break it to you but (as uncomfortable as it might be to you), players in professional sports are indeed assets. Now, that doesn't mean by default the owners don't care about their players, because I'm sure most do. I was simply pointing out that it is possible to own a team full of African Americans (or any race for that matter) and still harbor racism against them when you view them primarily as assets (as slave masters did). That's all I was pointing out.
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2014
  9. corpgator

Ratings Received:
    +749
    20 point loss was a pretty good protest. They didn't look like they were trying on defense.
  10. RealGatorFan

RealGatorFan Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +465
    Did you know, if you are a small business owner and you provide a cell phone to your employees, you cannot get a copy of their text messages without first filing charges against that employee? Nothing short of a court order can an owner who is paying for coverage obtain a transcript of text messages from any of their phones. A court order requires you filing a charge. So what if all you wanted to do was see what your sales rep is doing work-related?
  11. g8orbill

Ratings Received:
    +8,628
    just heard Sterling is a big Democrat
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. rivergator

rivergator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,622
    how big?
  13. rivergator

rivergator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,622
    wait a minute, you're saying she was in this for the money? hard to imagine!

[​IMG]
  14. g8orbill

Ratings Received:
    +8,628
    that was a good one river
  15. ufdocco

ufdocco Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +358
    .....and was an ambulance chaser.
  16. corpgator

Ratings Received:
    +749
    Hahaha. Greatest signs ever at a game.

[​IMG]
    • Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,286
  18. mdfgator

mdfgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +799
    You are correct on mj
  19. mdfgator

Ratings Received:
    +799
    What a man says to his girlfriend in a private conversation is my business!!!!
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  20. mdfgator

Ratings Received:
    +799
    And in all honesty, the real estate stuff is very very slippery. It's not like race is not thrown around arbitrarily or anything to get an advantage..