Does UF's recruitment of Keith Stone tell us anything?

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by InstiGATOR1, Sep 3, 2014.

1. InstiGATOR1

InstiGATOR1 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +48
    Does UF's continuing recruitment of Keith Stone despite having 3 commitments for 2015 already tell us anything?

1. It might imply that Devin Robinson will be more of 4 than the 3 many think.

2. It might imply that Devin Robinson is likely to be around for only 2 years or so.

3. Maybe it suggests that Finney-Smith is like gone after this season? He reportedly has kids and he will be 4 years out of high school this year.

4. I could be that Stone is just so good you take him even with a good 3 prospect in the prior class. That is he is too good to pass on.

Stone's recruitment could signal some combination of these and I am sure other possibilities I have not considered.
  2. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +626
    Well, you never stop recruiting, even when the cupboard is full.

As a great coach once said, "Recruiting is like shaving. If you don't do it every day you get your ass handed to you by Georgia Southern."
    • Like Like x 1
  3. swampgas4412282

swampgas4412282 Member

Ratings Received:
    +73
    That great coach has obviously played Georgia Southern. :D
    • Boring Boring x 1
  4. InstiGATOR1

Ratings Received:
    +48
    Actually in basketball most programs go with 12 scholarship players so they have an opening if say Ben Simmons decides to reclassify to 2014 in August they have a slot for him. I know UConn had to make a slot for Andre Drummond a few years back in this type of situation, but his case is an example of why basketball coaches like to always have an open scholarship.
  5. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +626
    Without checking my facts, I'd guess that the Gators have less than 13 guys on scholarship 95% of the time (not counting the walk-ons who are granted a scholarship because there were some available). It's hard to keep everybody happy with their playing time when you go with more than 10 guys in the rotation.
  6. GatorLurker

GatorLurker Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +399
    Maybe it says that the coaching staff thinks he is a good player that can be a good Gator.

I don't want to over think this.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. ETGator1

ETGator1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +180
    Maybe there is an injury or two that the final verdict is still out on. I wouldn't be surprised to see a medical ship come up so another slot opens up.
  8. InstiGATOR1

Ratings Received:
    +48
    Alas since the staff can only say limited general things about recruiting, we must look for clues in who they recruit and reportedly offer. So sometimes we are bound to over think. To me that is better than the old days of watching the first game of the season and going who the heck is this guy Andrew Moten who is such a fantastic player and where did he come form.
  9. stingbb

stingbb Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +331
    It tells us that Billy thinks the kid is a good player who can help UF win games in the future.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  10. themistocles

themistocles Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +383
    Other than the medical, I think you covered just about all of the possibilities Insti.

And yes, Lurker, I think that your first statement is something like 150% accurate.

And sheesh, how could any Gator coach actually lose a game to someone like Georgia Southern?

Ohhhhh, wait a minute, perhaps because he was missing over half of his starters on both offense and defense, and he ran an offense that was so predictable in the Red Zone that for the 3rd year in a row, his team had the lowest percentage of TDs per red zone trip in the entire SEC.

Muschamp is correct and good recruiting is vital for success, but, there is a heck of a lot more to it than merely that - just ask Mack Brown, who, despite being able to recruit Floridians to Alaska if he coached there, and despite having absolutely dominant talent year after year, only managed to win 1 NCAA title and that totally resulted because of his incredible quarterback.
  11. tilly

tilly Superhero Moderator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,953
    Keith Stones game is aways smooth :

[​IMG]
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1