1. Gator Country Black Friday special!

Stay on top of the football coach search with the Insider Authority on Gator Sports with a special discount!

Now's a great time to join or renew and get up to $20 off your annual subscription! LIMITED QUANTITIES -- for details click here.

DOE: Climate Change Will Cause More Energy Breakdowns

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by Row6, Jul 11, 2013.

1. rpmGator

rpmGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +798
    More people with same fresh water supply = need for non burning energy systems.

Face this reality and the taste great-less filling global warming argument means nothing.

Hydrogen cars are getting close with renewed interest. The things we can do through invention and progress is the direction we need to follow.
  2. baygator1

baygator1 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,123
    Why do you suppose the data set you referenced stops with the 50s, excluding some of the hottest and driest periods we've had in recorded US history? As a decade, the 1930s looked very similar to the most recent decade in terms of temperature departure from normal, and it was drier.
  3. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,112
    Where do we get the electricity/energy to separate the hydrogen from it's other elements like Oxygen in H2O.

To get pure hydrogen wastes a lot of useful power. It's Kind of like burning down a forest just to get the charcoal from it. Dumb idea!
  4. neisgator

neisgator Belligerent Gator

Ratings Received:
    +106
    Cherry picking data?
    Owl Gore would be proud.
  5. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,112
    Exactly! Cherry picking to make a point is... pointless. :grin:
  6. GatorRade

GatorRade Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +958
    No idea. Why did your data leave out mean temperatures or those outside of the US? Data analyses aren't infinite. But even if we take your point to indicate that this study is intentionally misleading, then we should move to larger scale temporal and spatial data. If we do, we find that it has been extremely warm in the last 15 years relative to our records, like I said above.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2013/jan/16/2012-10-warmest-years-on-record
  7. neisgator

Ratings Received:
    +106
  8. baygator1

baygator1 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,123
    Mostly because the reporting tool I linked with my post didn't have mean temperature as an ouput option. My point isn't that the data you linked was misleading, it just wasn't fully indicative of very warm periods we've had prior to the cutoff in the graphic. And, ultimately, that's my point. We've had very warm and dry periods before. And the current warm cycle didn't produce the extreme high temperatures or dry conditions we saw 70, 80 or more years ago.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. GatorRade

GatorRade Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +958
    I think it's a fair point, bay. And I had the same critique of your data regarding record highs in the US.
  10. rpmGator

rpmGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +798
    You can make hydrogen with wind power, and never burn anything. If your wish is to make hydrogen fuel. But that isn't needed to make electric.

Methane has a ton of hydrogen in it. Oregon already has a fuel cell installed at a major sewage plant producing electric. I called the project director myself a few years back. Pretty easy concept, send in methane, and use the hydrogen from it.

I won't bore you with anaerobic digesters and such, but some need to stop getting their energy diploma from politicians.

The new oil and NG we are getting through fracking is releasing a lot of methane, with a fuel cell, you could use it to power the fracking process. The methane wasted could be the true answer to our energy problems. Methane has a lot more hydrogen than water and why it is so good to produce energy.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. neisgator

Ratings Received:
    +106
    Which politicians should we stop getting our diplomas from?
    This out to be good.
  12. KelticGator

KelticGator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +264
    We still might be. We are currently in a warmer period (interglacial) of an ice age. Believe it or not, the normal state of the earth doesn't have ice at the poles.

However I doubt your teachers suspected that mankind could warm up the earth enough to possibly alter the planetary environment and possibly end the ice age. That's a pretty impressive feat if you think about it . . . even if it was by accident. I mean these ice ages last hundreds of millions of years. Take THAT planet earth!!!
    • Like Like x 1
  13. neisgator

Ratings Received:
    +106
    Good post.

It is incredibly amazing to think we have had that much of an effect. Yet, that is what this Fake GW blowhards like to put out there.
    • Like Like x 1