Doctor Posts Newspaper Notice: Closing Due to Obamacare

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by mocgator, Dec 11, 2013.

1. mocgator

mocgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +506
    I told you so...

http://townhall.com/tipsheet/sarahj...aper-notice-closing-due-to-obamacare-n1760621

[​IMG]

“It’s pretty basic really. The reason is that Obamacare requires electronic medical records and electronic prescribing and I simply don’t have the finances at this time to go into debt to provide that for my office, it would just be a complete new transfer of electronic equipment in my office for that.

So for me, at my age, I’m just not ready to go into financial debt. Of the 20,000 pages in there, probably up to 1,000 pages are about doctors' offices."

"I’ve got 6,000 records, some of them are two inches thick. It would just be basically impossible to scan all of these and put them on electronic medical records and very expensive, by the way,” said Dr. Kiteck, pointing to the many man hours of pay that an electronic overhaul would require.

“It’s a solo practice, I’m just a very small solo practice. I call myself a mom and pop practice,” Dr. Kiteck explained, “so I’ve had it for about twenty years here in Somerset, Kentucky.”

A really good chart of what's going on..

[​IMG]
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. wgbgator

wgbgator Sub-optimal Poster Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,353
    You told us that some doctor would close his tiny practice in Kentucy? I think I'd remember that specific of a prediction.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. mocgator

Ratings Received:
    +506

LOL Really?

Doctors en mass are going to be dropping. Even though our ruler said we will of course keep our doctors.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. rivergator

rivergator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,492
    a little more info. (Hint: it wasn't because of the ACA.)

link
  5. wgbgator

Ratings Received:
    +1,353
    Yes, really. The number of doctors operating small practices has been declining for years. Had this guy quit in 1 year or 5, or 10 , no one would have replaced him.
  6. fredsanford

fredsanford VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,006
    Looks like he'll be packing up the leeches.

Meh.
  7. gatordowneast

gatordowneast Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +985
    You libbies defending this POS and President Pinochio are Pathetic. Your answer is always the same when someone is held up as an example of the punishment of this bad legislation passed with PP lies. Its as if the problem doesn't exist. Maybe not in your world where the rest of us pay your tolls.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. wygator

wygator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +677
    Correct that is was passed before Obamacare, but still an onerous mandate, especially for small offices. The software purchase, installation, and training cost tens of thousands of dollars. While some reimbursements are available, they are years after the fact and only available if the doctor properly jumps through all the hoops of "meaningful use" measurements.

What this will eventually do if force all docs into hospital relationships. Even here in Wyoming, I've seen a couple of successful group practices sell out to local hospitals and become hospital employees because the govt demands are so daunting.

In the rollout, HHS Secretary Thompson said it will save 10% of total medical costs...what BS.

On a side note, how many of you are comfortable with all of your sensitive medical records being on the internet and available to the govt? After all, we know how good they are at internet security;)
  9. ufdocco

ufdocco Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +314
    It isn't all about the ACA. The EHR requirements are a huge boondoggle and are and have driven many docs out of private practices and into hospital employment. The ACA is only accelerating that process.

The only docs who will be self employed are those in locations and specialties that will work for an all cash practice. Our office is transitioning to that, and will not be investing in electronic records for both cost and patient record security reasons.
  10. HallGator

HallGator Administrator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,088
    Yep Moc, your predictive powers are almost as legendary as your self-aggrandizement. :)
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. mocgator

Ratings Received:
    +506
    Hard to be humble.... Except when the GA fans I live with give me heck...
    • Like Like x 1
  12. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +491
    Really?

So frustrating the state is creating an environment of corporate medicine where a doctor cannot compete due to government regulations and this is the type of remark we get...
  13. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +491
    Enjoy being a number instead of a patient....
  14. wgbgator

Ratings Received:
    +1,353
    Yeah, small practices are dying out with or without the ACA. I don't like that record stores are closing either, but technology and "bigness" always produces winners and losers, usually people who lack technology and bigness. "Corporate medicine" has decidely been kicking the asses of GPs and small practicioners for decades. This guy was on his way out no matter what.
  15. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +491
    smh

No he was not on his way out. But thanks to corporate pressure enough mandates and regulations have burdened this doctor to the point of saying screw it. Sure it has happened before but the ACA added to the problem of fascism in medicine vs alleviating it...

Sadly you seem to think that is a good thing.
  16. wgbgator

Ratings Received:
    +1,353
    It's neither good or bad, its just the nature of capitalism. If you support any sort of market system, you are going to get stories like this. Whether its self-regulating or heavily government regulated market (like medicine), new standards are going to sweep aside people and operations unable to comply or compete with the new methods and costs of doing business. Do you think its a "good thing" when the government reduces its budget and someone loses their job or business because of it?
  17. fredsanford

fredsanford VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,006
    No one wanted to wait for him to transmit medical records to others via telegraph.
  18. ufdocco

ufdocco Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +314
    Fax machines still work just fine though.
  19. AzCatFan

AzCatFan Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +517
    If the mandate to scan records passed in 2009, the doctor had plenty of time to find a good scanning bureau to do the work by now. And he certainly could have parsed the scanning out over time so that new records were always being scanned, and old ones done a few per month so that it's affordable.

There's also plenty of Enterprise Content Management Systems out there that are affordable and already work with other medical professionals. And while most do have an upfront cost, there is usually a return on investment once you factor in the time it takes to find a record electronically versus paper, and storage costs of paper. And if you are worried about security, there are also HIPAA mandates that the ECM Systems must abide by. And while we hear about security breaches daily regarding retail and schools, not too many medical systems have been hacked, despite several being "in the cloud" for a few years now.
  20. ufdocco

ufdocco Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +314
    It's not just the upfront cost of the system. One of the largest clinics in town was notified by their EHR software company that they had to buy the newest version at the cost of hundreds of thousands because their existing version wasn't going to be supported any more. Their only other alternative was to go to a competitor for the cost of millions.