Do you really think Will is handcuffing the Offense and Pease?

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by rburnett, Oct 21, 2013.

1. rburnett

rburnett Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +94
    Tons of posts here in the last few weeks about Will allegedly holding Pease back.. why exactly do so many think that? When he was first hired he admitted that he wasn't an Offensive coach and would bring in an OC to let them run that side of the ball. Is it comments post Bowling Green, A&M from last year that make you think he's determining offensive philosophy and play calling?

I seriously believe he is not telling Pease what to run, when to run it, or what he can or can't do. I just think our execution is that poor.

I'm not defending the play, I think it's been terrible and I agree about all the comments about regression. Will is definitely on the hook for hiring Weis and Pease though, and if he can't figure it out he will pay the price for those decisions.
  2. orangeblueorangeblue

orangeblueorangeblue Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,879
    No. Absolutely not. Classic groupthink - a new chapter of Gator Mythology in progress.
  3. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,330
    Again,

* if the head coach is loathed, he is micromanaging the coordinator;

EXAMPLE: Zook and Strong, Muschamp and Pease

* if the head coach is adored, the coordinator is on his own.

EXAMPLE: Spurrier and every DC he has, Meyer and every OC he had.

I laughed at fans who said this about Zook and Strong, and I laugh at the notion that Muschamp is handcuffing Pease. if Pease is so wek that he would allow a head coach to do that, I would lose all respect for him.

Now this is not the same as a head coach outlining his operational philosophy (in the military, we call it the Commander's Intent) to his coordinators and position coaches. EVERY coach does that. But active micromanagement? I seriously doubt it.
  4. gatorr4life

gatorr4life Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,325
  5. Bedlam

Bedlam Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +135
    I think, with the help of the Baylor thread, we've all realized Pease is a dope who shouldn't be the OC.

But it's still Muschamp's fault for hiring this dope.
  6. atlantagator86

atlantagator86 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +533
    I don't think Muschamp is handcuffing him or dictating the plays call.

What I believe is that Muschamp brought in a guy who was used to running a somewhat wide open offense and dictated that what he wanted to do was run a power running offense that would control the clock and time of possession. Beyond that it's up to Pease.

And I think the Pease came up with a handful of plays that did that pretty effectively last year. The problem seems to be that defenses have figured out that small handful of plays and with the injuries, we just haven't had the ability to dictate things the way we did last year.

As I see it, the problem may be that Pease really isn't cut out to coach the style of offense Muschamp wants to run at this level. Doesn't mean Pease isn't a good OC, but maybe he just doesn't fit what Muschamp wants to do.
  7. dhouston

dhouston Member

Ratings Received:
    +3
    Go read the Baylor forum from what their fans said when Pease was there. It would change your opinion I believe
  8. swampspring

swampspring Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +371
    I'm not trying to be one of THOSE guys, but seriously, there are literally at least four threads covering this same issue in some capacity. Recent general consensus is that Muschamp isn't, and that Pease is just an awful coordinator. Should Pease be fired or demoted midseason? That's also been addressed but feel free to contribute to those threads. I can list the threads here if you want, but they are all pretty much on the front page of this forum.
  9. PTCGator

PTCGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +158
    No.....I think Pease is the problem. For a long time, a lot of Gator fans felt that Muschamp's conservative nature was keeping a lid on Pease and making him call a conservative offense. We were wrong! Pease is not the guy who made Boise St. work. That was the fabulous senior QB they had running an offense designed by the HC. We all thought Pease would bring that offense with him to Gainesville. We were wrong again! In any case the Gators don't have the experienced skill sets to run the Boise offense and we all now know that Pease doesn't know how to call the plays either! Pretty disappointing, but solvable!
  10. UFGator05

UFGator05 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +625
    Another thread abt this?

do you really think he's not handcuffed? Muschamp has said himself he values defense over offense. It shows in his recruiting and his in game management
  11. philip214

philip214 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +462
    I think if Muschamp is handcuffing anyone it is Durkin, not Pease.

FREE DURKIN!!!!!
  12. Colin

Colin Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +476
    I would like to see Pease with a healthy/competent offensive line, but his play calling can be maddening at times.
  13. rburnett

rburnett Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +94
    I don't agree with that. I think we're just that bad at execution. I don't think Pease or Muschamp are purposely attempting to produce the product we're seeing on the field. I think Will would agree to anything Pease puts together as a game plan.
  14. WDGator

WDGator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +6
    Read that and you will see a mirror image of the gators offense issues today.

Sent from my iPad using GatorCountry
  15. GreenandScaly

GreenandScaly Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +260
    I hope not. If Pease is the problem, then the problem is much easier to solve.
  16. jaxgator1991

jaxgator1991 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +510
    this topic again. i think its pretty obvious that he is not handcuffing pease. the play calls have been decent but wow the execution is just so bad bad bad. you just can't do anything productive behind an O-line that can not block. its really hard to watch the o-line get demolished every play. i think the offensive line is handcuffing muschamp and pease.
  17. atlantagator86

atlantagator86 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +533
    Just to clarify, the question I was answering was simply about Muschamp handcuffing, to which I answered that I think he's not dictating plays but probably dictating style and that maybe Pease isn't capable of coaching that style.

I really can't tell whether Pease has any clue what he's doing or not. I don't think that any of us really know that. But I will say that I was unimpressed with our offense last season even when we were winning.

Our defense and special teams made plays that won several games. Elam's play against Beckham in the LSU game, the blocked punt in the Louisiana Lafayette game and the INT on Franklin in the Mizzou game immediately come to mind. Without those 3 plays, we probably would have been 8-5 last season.

What those 3 plays in particular did was mask the problems that were there with the offense all last season. I really don't know where the blame for the offensive deficiencies should be placed.
  18. Bedlam

Bedlam Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +135
    The O-Line last year was competent. Still 100+ ranked. We don't need to see anything else from Pease.
  19. GatorLaw

GatorLaw Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +165
    Exactly. And since WM had no connection at all to Baylor, how can he be blamed for handcuffing Pease (as someone else pointed out in another thread)?
  20. gator07

gator07 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +703
    Exactly right. They were serviceable last year and the offense was still terrible. No one is put in space, whether our backs or our receivers, to be able to make plays. But we leave our tackles in plenty of space where they get burned time and time again.