Do you give Kelvin Taylor a serious look the next two weeks?

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by UFreak, Sep 8, 2013.

1. ThePlayer

ThePlayer VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,597
    Always go with your first impression. :wave:
    It couldn't hurt.
  2. maxgator

maxgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +184
    I asked the same thing...to keep them honest perhaps...lol.
  3. urbangirl

urbangirl Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +79
    Yep, two safeties..........31-4. I was giving us way too much credit. Oh, the ravages of time on one's memory! Thanks!
  4. gator07

gator07 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +703
    Yes I would throw him out there at this point. As bad as our passing game has been in the last couple of years, how overrated is our "vaunted" rushing attack? It would be one thing to shy away from the passing game if we were dominating on the ground, but the fact is we are not. I can count about three games where we've generated explosive TDs from the running game (UT, Vandy, and FSU). That's a lot of games where you get none against the likes of Kentucky, Missouri, ULL, Jax St, Bowling Green, Toledo. And god forbid we rip one off against a decent opponent.

Has our blocking been that poor that we can't get one to pop for a long TD but once every month or so? Or are we lacking the home run threat? Gilly was more of a "chains-mover". Matt Jones seems more explosive but hasn't had much opportunity. Maybe KT could do it. Who knows? It would be nice to see some freshman make an impact immediately on the offensive side of the ball like we've seen them do on D.

You would think for a coach who emphasizes the run game as much as we do, we'd be very proficient at it by now and would have assembled a pretty impressive run-blocking offensive line and a stable of backs. Surprisingly neither have happened and quite frankly the thing seems to be closer to still being in shambles with our average OL going down to injury left and right and our RB depth chart populated with defensive converts and a walk-on.
  5. RD_gator

RD_gator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +80
    It should be Mack Brown & Kelvin Taylor; work Jones in later as the season progresses.
  6. RealGatorFan

RealGatorFan Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +423
    This is why I dislike Muschamp's offensive philosophy. The issue is he loves 1 pt victories, but how do you put in a 3rd string player when the game is close? Usually, a team like Oregon blows people out early allowing them to sub out their 1st stringers by halftime. By the end of the season Oregon's 2nd and 3rd stringers are every bit as good as most Top 10 1st stringers. Oregon has a ton of depth at every position.
  7. gatorbrah

gatorbrah New Member

Ratings Received:
    +2
    This staff has no clue how to evaluate and manage offensive talent. Kelvin Taylor would already have several series under his belt if were at virtually any other program.
  8. gator07

gator07 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +703
    Honestly it's hard to argue with that. Or at least with the fact that they are waaaay better at doing it on the defensive side of the ball.
  9. NorthCaptivaGator

NorthCaptivaGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +240
    Exactly, Muschamp trusts young defensive guys to play with instinct, despite the fact that Mayes took a bad angle and gave up the early TD, VH3 can play, it's obvious, so can Taylor, he needs a shot
  10. gtr2x

gtr2x Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +457
    Jones starts, in 2 weeks he should at full strength, no excuses. If he shows, great, if not next man up. Either way Taylor deserves at least a few carries, unless there is some major practice issue.

Unfortunately, I was also at that 31-4 game, probably the most miserable I've ever been at a game. At least I left that game thinking the better team won. Not the case Sat.
  11. PIMking

PIMking New Member

Ratings Received:
    +895
    There wasn't a point of "keeping" Davis, it was the point that we weren't going to pay for his services.
  12. PIMking

PIMking New Member

Ratings Received:
    +895
    ahh the "back up should get time becuause our starters stink"
  13. toddsevans

toddsevans Gators3397 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +113
    Screw Davis we have Jones, Taylor, Brown, Lane, Herndon. If you can't block it doesn't matter if you have Adrain Peterson back there.
  14. UFreak

UFreak Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +846
    I guess what I'm saying is that I'm not convinced its all just poor blocking.
  15. bearshark

bearshark Member

Ratings Received:
    +6
  16. jaxgator1991

jaxgator1991 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +510
    I think jones will only get better as the season goes on, but i don't see what the big deal is with mack brown, he absolutely had a good game in the opener but lacks the breakout speed to make big plays. I think we have to give kelvin a solid look, great speed and vision from what i have seen in his highschool games and the few runs during mop up duty against toledo. I wonder if protection/blitz pickup is a concern during practice(which i did not attend any of the open practices, just a thought). I do hope that Kelvin ends up as at least the number 2 by the team we get into our bigger games
  17. bearshark

bearshark Member

Ratings Received:
    +6
    Currently our backs at least in the Miami game did not run to daylight via the holes/lanes
  18. MtownGator

MtownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +246
    I would have put KT in on the start --- He hits the hole hard and then changes direction when he needs to---Mack has done great for us though.
    If nothing else -- I'd do it to motivate the other RB's to shine.